DEVIL vs 8 Swords

JennyM

Since the Devil can mean being in bondage to something....how is it different and similar from/to the 8 of Swords?

Vadella

The Devil is an outside thing causing the bondage... addiction to alcohol, drugs, a person, a thing... Where as the 8 of swords, you are keeping yourself in this holding pattern.

star-lover

i think the 8 of swords is more of a - you made your bed you lie in it now - kind of card - self made - its in your mind, you created it - you are bound by your own mental stuff and you can make a move to change it - you do have control - its up to you if you want to change - whereas

the devil i think is more another person having control over you in that you are dependent/addicted to within your relationship with them - the devil is more entrapment than the 8 of swords - theres an intensity that is not really there with the 8 of swords - 8 of swords is a headache, a bad problem i agree, a need to escape from something but devil is more - well i can't/don't want to escape just yet - unless it gets really really dire

just my understanding of this (although still not that clear cut)
love to hear others views

VGimlet

I always feel the Majors are kind of..more so greater than, etc.

Eight of Swords, there are quite a few choices you can make to get yourself out of the situation, but with the Devil, the situation is more concrete, and the action required to resolve the situation may require harder choices or more effort to resolve, IMO.

Sulis

This is how I see these 2 cards:

The eight of Swords is about not being able to think straight. It's about having so many thoughts in your head that you don't know which way to turn.
It's that white-noise you get in your head that you make worse by going over and over things.
It's crippling indecision or it's overanalysis..

Eights are about balance, they relate to Justice, the answer is there in the card - you need to strive for some mental balance, organise your thoughts so that you can see the way out of the mess.

The Devil on the other hand is archetypal; he's The Dark Side }) Everyone's got one...

He's the things that we all do that we hate about ourselves for or the things that we do that we know just feed our own insecurities and are really bad for us.
The yo-yo dieting, the way you know that you're nasty to your mother but you just can't help it, the fags that you really want to give up, the 'recreational' drug use that you know you can't afford and is edging nearer and nearer to an addiction, the men who treat you badly but you always seem to go for the same type...

The Devil is the flip side of The Lovers; he's the voice in your head that tells you that you have no choice.

The Eight of Swords is the way that we tie ourselves up with our own thoughts, worries and insecurities.