Using a new spread?

NewMoon

I am just getting back to using my Tarot cards after taking an almost 2 year break from it (not intentionally, life just got in the way). After seeing all the different spreads on here, I am excited to try several of them. One thing I'm confused about, I haven't seen addressed on here after searching for a long time. That is.... when using a new spread, do you have to have it memorized in your head, as far as the layout itself and what all the positions mean? If you don't *know* it well, how will the right cards come up?

That would mean having many many many different spreads memorized. Or is it enough to just look over the spread layout right before you shuffle?

How do handle new spreads?

Thanks for any help!

Alta

I have not got a great memory. When I use a new spread, from Spreads or a book, I review it several times, note the total number of cards and try and recall the layout.

I have referred back during the laying out and I don't think this hurts the reading. After all, the cards are already shuffled and cut, so the referring just means you put them in the right spots.

Apollonia

I just read through the spread once or twice, then either have the computer open to that spread or print it out so I can refer back to it as I lay the cards. In my experience, the accuracy of the reading is not affected by whether I've memorized it yet or not. (I actually think one could probably pick a spread just by its name, lay out some cards without seeing the spread, and get an equally accurate reading, adding or subtracting cards to fit the spread shown after you take a look at it.)

If I'm trying to memorize a new spread to add it to my repertoire, I do it many times in a row, reading for celebrities, soap opera characters, my dogs, etc. until I have the positions down. Then I take a break, sleep on it, and try it without notes the next day to test whether I truly have it memorized or not.

Grizabella

So far, I just stick to relatively simple spreads that I don't have to work on memorizing. Like three card spreads on body, mind, spirit or past, present, future or whatever. I've never memorized the Celtic Cross, for instance, and probably never will. I never use it.

Making up a spread as I go along seems to work quite well. Better for me than trying to memorize a lot of spreads. It's also better in relation to the person I'm reading for and their question a lot of times. I can make it more specific to them.

What I do is write down AT spreads I find interesting on index cards and then when I'm just messing around with the cards, I try some of them now and then. I don't even try to memorize them, though. I just use them as a way to practice and give myself ideas.

AngelC

I save the spreads I'm interested in in my journal and unless I'm 100% sure about the positions and meanings I keep that page open when doing my reading.
I have a few I use a lot and those I know, the new ones I pick up are usually for special occasions and needs and I don't even try to memorize them.

RubyRuby

What I do is write down AT spreads I find interesting on index cards and then when I'm just messing around with the cards, I try some of them now and then. I don't even try to memorize them, though. I just use them as a way to practice and give myself ideas.

I do this as well. I have all my spreads on index cards (card positions on the blank back and meanings on the lined front), and then in an index card box, and they are seperated with dividers for categories. Health, relationships, career etc.

When I'm doing a reading, I'll go to the appropriate section and pull out the spread I'd like to use.

NewMoon

Thank you all for your replies! It was very helpful. Now I won't worry so much about having to memorize everything. I'll just look it over before I start my reading and if I happen to memorize it after using it some, that's all the better :)

AJ

Index cards are a great idea, thank you!

Zephyros

Never fret about having to memorize things:) Tarot is not about doing your homework, but rather effortless effort. A speread is just how the cards are laid out that some one wrote down. You can use their spreads, or invent your own, which is even better, sine then you feel more attached to them:)

Good luck:)