Difference Between 3 Pentacles and 8 Pentacles?

AllyBerry

What is the difference between 3 pentacles and 8 pentacles if they both mean hard work? What type of scenario would make the 3 more appropriate to pop up than the 8? Thoughts?

AllyBerry

Thank you!! I hate posting repetive threads, but sometimes I have trouble effectively using the search engine. :(

nisaba

AllyBerry said:
What is the difference between 3 pentacles and 8 pentacles if they both mean hard work?
To me, the Three is about establishing a solid foundation for the future, a basis, a starting-point. It's the effort taken to make sure that further efforts aren't wasted.

To me the Eight is about skill-sets. About capability, about having developed skills, served an apprenticeship of some kind, having learned. You are now ready to put all that skill into action.

Caedryn

I have just the opposite. 3P to me is the apprentice...taking others suggestions into consideration when crafting, where as the 8P is the master craftsman who pays close attention to detail and is very diligent in his/her work.

~ C

AiryAdt

the difference between 3 and 8 of pents

From everything I've read, the 8 of pents is the apprenticeship card while the 3 of pents is the card of the master builder. They appear in reverse order for some reason...

rwcarter

From everything I've read, the 8 of pents is the apprenticeship card while the 3 of pents is the card of the master builder. They appear in reverse order for some reason...
The apprenticeship of the 8 is in a new/different field. If you think about the progression of the suit, the loss in the 5 comes after the mastery of the 3 and then the apprenticeship of the 8 would be rebuilding one's career. Technically I guess it could be rebuilding one's career in the same field after some sort of scandal.

Rodney

ana luisa

Just adding some color to what was already said. To me, both refer to work. However, the 3 of Pentacles is a card of genius, of talent of know-how and savoir-faire while the 8 of pentacles is a card of diligence, hard work, tedious and tiring hours, learning to master the skill. also, 3 of pentacles includes sharing and interaction while the 8 of pentacles is a solitary work.

tarot_quest

Just adding some color to what was already said. To me, both refer to work. However, the 3 of Pentacles is a card of genius, of talent of know-how and savoir-faire while the 8 of pentacles is a card of diligence, hard work, tedious and tiring hours, learning to master the skill. also, 3 of pentacles includes sharing and interaction while the 8 of pentacles is a solitary work.

I tend to view this card as Anna Luisa said. It's maybe a personal interpretation, but because the 8 of pentacles is related to high education and fine details, I also associate this card with mental affinities with someone or to designate an intellectual person.

And yes, 3 of pent often refers to groups, collaboration and interaction, while 8 of pent would generally refers to someone solitary, working alone.

MissNine

3:mastery, talents you already have and are skilled at

8: apprentice, schooling, a class, a new job where you'll learn as you go