Different Decks for Different types of Questions? Steampunk deck? Legacy deck?

NatKat

Dear Tarot friends I have not actually met,

For years I used only RWS or Thoth decks ... but recently added 2 new decks which I am still getting a feel for.

I used to use RWS for mundane questions and reading for clients
I used Thoth deck for deeper esoteric questions and reading for myself.
I have used both for meditation and magick.

***EDIT*** I have been calling a deck by wrong name*** it is Gateway to the Divine NOT Legacy

I recently started using Ciro Marchettis' GATEWAY deck ... a LOT. It seems to work nicely to blend the mundane with the spiritual ... which is really what life is all about, n'cest pas?

I am still trying to get a feel for the STEAMPUNK deck ... so far it seems to give more psychological insight ... not so great for pragmatic questions ... but I am still getting to know it.

Anyone have experience with Gateway or Steampunk decks? What type of questions do you feel they best answer?

Also other decks? Anyone else use particular decks in particular circumstances?

Darkmage

My Morgan-Greer and Aquarian really shine when it comes to relationship issues.

I have Moore's Steampunk but I've never used it. I got it more for my collection than anything else.

I got the Thoth for the art. I got lucky and found a greenie white box for $9 ages ago and the USG 3 Magus version for $3 not long after. I haven't really used either other than to flip through the cards and go, 'ooh, pretty.'

RWS and its various flavours are my go to decks. I also like Anne Stokes Gothic as I do a lot of reading in clubs and low-light conditions and the cards are easier for my sitters to see.

At last count I had about 60-70 decks. It's a small collection for here but pretty respectable. Out of those I might use 8-12 on a regular basis.

NatKat

My Morgan-Greer and Aquarian really shine when it comes to relationship issues.

I have Moore's Steampunk but I've never used it. I got it more for my collection than anything else.

I got the Thoth for the art. I got lucky and found a greenie white box for $9 ages ago and the USG 3 Magus version for $3 not long after. I haven't really used either other than to flip through the cards and go, 'ooh, pretty.'

RWS and its various flavours are my go to decks. I also like Anne Stokes Gothic as I do a lot of reading in clubs and low-light conditions and the cards are easier for my sitters to see.

At last count I had about 60-70 decks. It's a small collection for here but pretty respectable. Out of those I might use 8-12 on a regular basis.

WOW ... 60-70 decks? Where do you put them all? That Morgan Greer deck was one of the few "other" decks that existed back in the day. Its a nice one. I feel the Steampunk deck might also be good for relationship questions ... Moore's booklet offers psychological interpretations of the cards ... but I haven't had much chance to test the theory.

Legacy is based-on RWS but I find some of the changes in the imagery really do change the character of the card and how I read it. RWS remains my go-to deck when I need pragmatic no-nonsense answers };>

Darkmage

Heh fortunately they're small. Boxes from Ikea are my friends, along with wooden trinket boxes. I think I've got 100 or so playing card decks. I've got them stashed away in two document boxes from Ikea and a couple steel candy tins and they really don't take up a lot of room. One Trader Joe's peppermint bark box holds 9 decks of cards.

My advice? Try the decks and see. If you don't have anyone to read for near you, you can always start an exchange thread here. It's a good way to kick the tires on a new deck.

I've got the Gilded Tarot. I like it, though my RWS and Anne Stokes are my workhorses.

Calcifer

For quite some time now I've used two decks in tandem - if I'm truly trying to get answers...
Oft times I'll do a dual reading with my Wild Unknown and Rider-Waite, side by side; the WU reflecting what is really going on inside me, on a spiritual level, and the RW to reflect what it is manifesting as in the material world. Oddly, this hasn't been confusing at all - even when the readings are at odds with each other; together they make up a very nice "whole", if you follow what I mean. I've been enjoying this practice thoroughly :) I'd suggest this to anyone - just to see how they like it.... it was a worthwhile experiment for me anyway.
Michael

bonebeach

I usually flit around with decks and assign them "categories," but really it's all spur of the moment. Every so often I have one deck I use for EVERYTHING, but usually I have a few that I'm swapping out like every other reading. My choice is mostly just based on my mood. I have certain decks for relationship questions, but most of the time I just shrug and end up using the Thoth for that, of all things. Which is not what I would have assumed, before I started using it...

Right now Zirkus Magi is my go to, all out love affair, ask anything deck.

witchofglass

I've actually found my steampunk deck to be really down to earth and practical in the mundane-concrete sense. Spiritual readings aren't a thing I do a lot as a rule, but I've long referred to my steampunk as the reliable deck.

rwcarter

What type of questions do you feel they best answer?
Haven't read any of the other responses, but I think this answer will be different for different people based on any number of factors including their own history, and the length of their relationship with the deck. I absolutely LOVE FireRaven's "New Deck Interview" Spread cause it can be used throughout one's relationship with a particular deck as it includes positions for the deck's strength, the deck's weakness and how best the Reader can work with the deck. ALL of those things can change over the course of a Reader's relationship with the deck.

Rodney

NatKat

... I have certain decks for relationship questions, but most of the time I just shrug and end up using the Thoth for that, of all things. Which is not what I would have assumed, before I started using it...

Actually I can totally see the Thoth deck as good for relationships. First of all, Crowley's Book of Thoth gives very detailed and in-depth psychological descriptions of the courts. Also there is a book by Gerd Zeigler (spelling? Author is German) Tarot of Relationships or similar title which is an amazing little book using the Thoth deck. Maybe you already have it ...

NatKat

I've actually found my steampunk deck to be really down to earth and practical in the mundane-concrete sense. Spiritual readings aren't a thing I do a lot as a rule, but I've long referred to my steampunk as the reliable deck.

One thing which really drew me to Steampunk tarot is the machine imagery. Machines are so much a part of modern life ... in a way they are "missing" from the older decks if that makes sense. I need to play with the deck more to develop my relationship with it. It has given me accurate readings for other people ... but I am not sure how I will end-up using it for myself ... and yes ... there is a certain "concrete" matter-of-fact to this deck.