Doing an online reading for someone?

Zombina

A friend of mine from Livejournal asked me if it was possible to do an online tarot reading for her. Since we live in separate states, it'd obviously be impossible for me to meet up with her and do it for her.

I thought about this idea before, but then realized that it may not work as well because usually when I do a reading for someone else, I shuffle the deck first, and then give the other person the deck to shuffle, then do the reading for them.

Is it required for the other person to shuffle the deck or is it all based on personal preference?

What do you guys think about the online reading? Should I give it a shot regardless of the fact that she can't shuffle the deck?

-- Zee

The crowned one

You can. It is a bit tougher as you only have those threads of the universal consciousness to grab onto, our shared knowledge and energies. No facial expressions, body language or interactions, just energy. On line is tougher but very do-able. ( in my opinion )

Zombina

Thank you for the quick reply. :p
I feel the same - that it'll be a lot harder to be able to connect with her, but I can always give it a go and see what happens.

shadowdancer

I would say give it a try, and let them know you have never done this before so as not to have high expectations on this one

I do majority of my readings online, and like you at first was a bit dubious. Now I love it. I can do them at the right time for me, dedicate time to really focus and as I type I am amazed what seems to feel 'right'.

I have to say I now prefer this method as I am not detracted by body language or comments - what comes through is pure instinct and when you get it right, it is a confirmation that you really have tuned in well.

But as I said - give it a go, and use it as another learning experience - who knows, you may find this is a method you could use regularly

Good luck

Davina

Zombina

Thank you shadowdancer. I was considering starting a blog online for tarot. Just discussing personal readings, ones for others, new decks I purchase, etc. I thought about doing an online tarot reading service for my friends online or just random people who want to receive one, but then, like you said, became dubious because I didn't think it would work.

I think I'll give it a go with her and see how it all works out. Maybe I'll even post about it on here. =]

Grizabella

I like reading in person better, but online is possible. Reading online isn't much different than reading for someone who sits there in person with arms and legs crossed and refuses to give you any input. Right? You don't get anything in the way of input from them to speak of, either.

You can do the reading by phone or in instant messenger, too, if you can't do it in person.

Zombina

We are probably going to do it through instant messaging, so that way she can think over my interpretation of what I'm seeing, and then give me a response and we can discuss it one-on-one.
We might end up chatting about it on the phone, I didn't think about that possibility.

The crowned one

My biggest concern of email/internet readings is if I am empowering them with the reading or taking their power away. With a live reading I can see their reaction, and yes adjust accordingly. I do not read to take ones will away, I read to empower them, give them food for thought, possibilities. It is too easy just to offer advice and direction on line, rather then possibilities and opportunities.. The future is in the querents hands but often on-line readings are offered as if it is not. We readers try to tell them what will be for feedback. The cards only show likely outcome based on how one has reacted to that specific given situation in the past...they have the ability and free will to change... the cards are a peek into possible futures based on general in-action, pro-quota and reactions in the past, not aggressive action and change in the future, unless that is your norm ;). I think it is best when the cards are wrong in a negative situation..it shows growth and change when you beat them. When they are positive, I like the querrent to blow my reading out of the water and go beyond all the expectations of the cards drawn. But generally I find I am pretty on tho in-spite of my wishes for those I read for.

So there you have it. How I actually feel about on-line readings and why. Anyone need my soap box? :D

AJ

Welcome to AT! Many of us have tarot blogs, or websites offering readings. If it weren't for on-line some of us would never get to read for others at all :)
Click on profile below posts and you'll find links there.

There three whole forums here devoted to on-line readings
Your Readings,
Personal Readings,
Reading Exchanges,
Plus all the Reading Circles that go on every month.

Baroli

Zombina,

Welcome to AT!

Although I prefer to do face to face readings, I also do email readings all the time. I have no problems with people in the same state, same country, or the other side of the world. So rock on and read to your heart's content. If you want a more real time experience, use your IM function, so that you can talk back and forth to your client. If you want to have some crazy fun, and if you both have webcam functionality on your puters, use that, or the phone.
If you don't feel quite confident in your abilities, go to the Reader's Exchange (although must have 25 posts to participate so yak it up), or sign up for one of the reading circles. Get yer practice in.

Baroli