Don't know who posted this, but it's pretty funny!

LavenderLibra

Wow. And I thought BARNEY was annoying! :bugeyed:

Not creepy, but freaky.

Mabuse

A defense of Tarot gaming

Now, here's one I wish they would make more often.
She makes a case how knowledge of Tarot game playing could benefit our culture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcMYTGYggKI

At the Tarot forum on amazon.com, I've made a similar case that Tarot should be re-branded to be more gamer friendly. One benefit would be that the Tarot could be integrated into America's public school system as a game. Tarot cards could help teach kids roman numerals. Some Tarot decks could be used in French and Italian language courses. Counting the points in the Tarot games could strengthen math skills. The Visconti Sforza decks could be incorporated into world history classes.

Mabuse

Uncyclopedia

saleeneh said:
I didnt know that ronald mcdonald did tarot?
According to Uncyclopedia, a Wikipedia parody, Ron's a former Tarot card reader.
"For a short time in Japan, Ronald was a tarot card reader operating under the pseudonym "DONALDO" (Japanese : ドナルド) He gave up his tarot reading practice and renounced his New Age views on religion when he discovered that tarot cards were originally made for games. He now thinks its more fun to play card games with tarot cards and has become the tarot game movement's most well known spokesperson."
http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Ronald_Mcdonald#Ronald_and_the_McTarot

philebus

I couldn't agree with you more, that is a great series of films. And now I can quote th uncyclopedia too - that's cool.

I would also want to encourage card playing in children, games like tarot, whist, bridge, skat, etc really can sharpen young minds - and they're fun to boot. (well, perhaps not bridge, I found it a little over-rated, clever, certainly, but not much fun)

Shade

I have noticed that on nearly every single tarot video on youtube has these people posting on it saying that tarot is meant to be used for games not divination.

Not just videos that make claims of ancient origins mind you. It's on nearly every single freaking video. Their claim that they aren't anti-divination is disingenuous. Imagine that you have a local tarot meetup with about 15 readers at a coffee shop once a week. Now imagine that every week one person shows up and the only thing they contribute is that the decks we are using are made for playing games. How would you feel every time you saw this guy?

they have an axe to grind and I can think of better places I'd like them to grind it. ;-)

philebus

Shade said:
I have noticed that on nearly every single tarot video on youtube has these people posting on it saying that tarot is meant to be used for games not divination.

Not just videos that make claims of ancient origins mind you. It's on nearly every single freaking video. Their claim that they aren't anti-divination is disingenuous. Imagine that you have a local tarot meetup with about 15 readers at a coffee shop once a week. Now imagine that every week one person shows up and the only thing they contribute is that the decks we are using are made for playing games. How would you feel every time you saw this guy?

they have an axe to grind and I can think of better places I'd like them to grind it. ;-)

Of course, You Tube is not a Tarot Meet-up, it is an open forum. I am a guest here and so I am cautious about discussing my sceptical views on divination - to do otherwise would be disrespectful of that. But whilst I have yet to discuss these things on You Tube, I am scripting some films that will do just that - it is the proper place for such free expression. If these people came here to 'grind their axe' then that would be inappropriate - but they haven't.

Also, not all of the people you are discussing here hold exactly the same views, for some, what is intended by 'meant for card games' is that they were created for that, without judgement on how they should be used, which is a different question. I've built a few card castles in my time, they weren't meant for it but that's fine. Personally, I try to choose my words more carefully.

If you disagree with them so badly, then would it not make more sense to make a video response setting out your case, rather than posting your grievance where they are unlikely to see it?

Mabuse

Shade said:

To use the Tarot for divination is one thing but I think they disagree with defining Tarot as divination. According to an e-mail I received from the tarot4games guy over two years ago, one of the internet filter companies SonicWall wrongly categorized several Tarot card game sites with the label "occult/cult" and this is what provoked this campaign on youtube. I can agree with that point because I do think it creates problems for culture when Tarot is defined as divination.
I've listed several examples in other threads of how it can be harmful to culture when people are only aware of how the cards are used in divination and have no other context in which to view them.

philebus

Mabuse said:
To use the Tarot for divination is one thing but I think they disagree with defining Tarot as divination. According to an e-mail I received from the tarot4games guy over two years ago, one of the internet filter companies SonicWall wrongly categorized several Tarot card game sites with the label "occult/cult" and this is what provoked this campaign on youtube. I can agree with that point because I do think it creates problems for culture when Tarot is defined as divination.

That seems to be a common problem. My own site is dedicated to games and the filter used where I work has blocked it as an occult site.

Shade

philebus said:
If you disagree with them so badly, then would it not make more sense to make a video response setting out your case, rather than posting your grievance where they are unlikely to see it?

This thread was posted to discuss the video; people do post their reactions to various tarot-related websites and books here with some frequency.

Having read the pages and pages and pages of comments left by this group on youtube videos - most of which make no claims as to the ancient heritage of the cards or their divination based origin - I find little to recommend them. I find their approach to the topic (one of constant antagonism) to be obnoxious. I imagine there are a great number of people who disagree with me and this thread is the perfect place to discuss that.

I have read tarot readers' comments responding to this group in many tarot videos online. I have no interest in debating with them - I prefer to judge from afar and cast aspersions. I was far kinder to them than I was to the quack running Astroamerica ;-)

Shade

For example two of the posters go into it in this video's comments section: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRMcyLsLPpk

It is true, as one person says the video: "This video is an example of many which depict Tarot in a one sided fashion, as a tool for divination."

It would not make sense for every tarot video to begin with "Tarot was originally created as a game..." She is giving advice from her perspective on reading the cards. I don't agree with all of her suggestions but they are just suggestions and at no point does she claim that they are from Egypt/Atlantis/Gypsies etc.