Dover "Art of the Tarot" with 10 different decks

Cerulean

Not certain about which Waite-Smith, Dotti Italiano

So many variations of historic decks are out tnere...so I am eager to find out.

I have a few Dotti sets reproduced by Il Meneghello, although distributed by different publishers.

..and a few different PCS variations...hard to say which version...

Le Fanu

Cerulean said:
So many variations of historic decks are out tnere...so I am eager to find out.
We should have a bet.

My votes for included decks are;

Gumppenberg Lombardy/Tarocchi Neoclassico
Soprafino
Conver
The Etteilla "Jeu de la Princesse"
Vieville
Tarot de Paris
Dotti (probably not, but just to make it up to ten :))
Ancient Italian /Serraville
Visconti
RWS

This list is based on the cover, and also cards which are featured in the Dover Playing Card Treasury (which I have). If they can include cards in the other Dover book (like the Tarot de Paris, the Etteilla "jeu de la princesse", Conver etc), they can include them in this one with no extra hassle.

What Im most curious about is how they have permission to include the RWS and whether it will be the whole deck (doubt it)

hoo

Thanx Cerulean - This is really spectacular. Dover paper books are okay in this new digital realm, but having bona fide public domaine/royalty free jpgs of whole decks so I can write and post about them online is a real godsend. Kudos to Dover for keeping up with the modern world!

Cerulean

Dotti's Italiano Tarocco - majors only

http://www.spiritone.com/~mfilipas/Masquerade/Reviews/dotti.html

I heard at one time there was a majors only version--22 cards only--of the "Giant Dotti" and it was from Il Meneghello. I have the Giant Dotti 78 card version (Di Vecchi Italian version) and smaller 78 card version.

We'll see!

Then again, there's so many versions of the samebeautiful old decks...the one below is the Serraville, but these scans look even more refined than I remember when I look at the LS Ancient Italian....I saw this one and am curious if we'll see something different in this Dover book like.....

Tarocco Milanese Avondo, 1874/79

From this site--isn't this version stunning? Hopefully the Dover edition will show the deck digitally and perhaps with print samples as beautiful as this...I'm in love!

Cerulean

Attachments

• avondosoprafino.jpg
    avondosoprafino.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 146

flying black kat

I have a lot of Dover books. Some have a CDs, some don't.

Also, Cerulean, I have never heard of this very beautiful deck, Tarocco Milanese Avondo, 1874/79 untill you showed it. Thank you so much for the information. Now I have another beautiful deck to look for.

Be at Peace.

Kathy

WyrdRaven

This is terrific news! I am a huge fan of Dover publications, as they are always so affordable. Leaping about in glee at the mere thought of this book. Thanks for telling us about it!

Le Fanu

hoo said:
Kudos to Dover for keeping up with the modern world!
Dover have been doing this CD-Rom thing for years. In fact, they were the first publishers I ever saw - years ago - including these CD-Roms with their publications. Way before I even knew what you did with a CD Rom. Not really keeping up with the modern world; I think they were among the first Art publishers to do this.

Flaxen

This looks absolutely fantastic. :)

Lots of possible art projects going through my mind now...

misfitknits

oh man!! i definitely gotta get this at some point!!! i'm also a craftswoman, sooo, lots of possibilities there, also just to look at the beautiful artwork and appreciate it. i would probably leave the book in tact, use it as a coffee table book!! :D

thanks for letting us all know about this one!! i LOVE dover!! if any doesn't get their newsletter, they send samples from books, and perhaps they will have some of this "up and coming" book. also, on the site it's listed as available... so you can already buy it!! i'll be wanting to hear from of those of you who've already gotten it on order or pre-order how it is!!!

Cerulean

Okay -- and BIG Surprise--KNAPP - HALL Tarot and Le Fou poster

with the 22 majors of Knapp - Hall...and all cards.

Sequentially

Minchiate (Florentine) Etruria 1-98 - Lo Scarabeo

Tarocco Italiano (Dotti Tarocco - Il Meneghello ) 1-22 majors

Classic Tarot (Soprafino/Della Rocca) - 1 -78 - Lo Scarabeo

I Tarocchi dei Visconti ( Il Meneghello) 1- 78

Waite - Smith Tarot ( U.S. Games) 1 - 78 (very purple-blue)

Tarocchi del Mantegna - uncolored (Il Meneghello) 1-50

Knapp Hall Tarot (PRS - L.A.) 1 - 78

Tarocchi di Beascon (? Il Meneghello?) 1 - 78

Ancient Tarot of Lombardy (Lo Scarabeo/Il Meneghello) 1 - 78

Bolognese Tarot (Lo Scarabeo/Il Meneghello) 1 - 78

Gumppenberg Tarot (Il Meneghello woodcut - green and blue, orange predominate--very nice mix with Bolognese coloring,and some Lombardy fineness and Marseilles style patterns) 1 78

The publishers I mentioned have the closest reproductions that I know. More Northern Italian patterns, but the Knapp Hall is a real gem for me--especially the poster which shows a slight variation of the Knapp Hall majors. It's a great deck treasure trove!

Cerulean