Druidcraft owners .... which book would you recommend to deepen study of Druidcraft?

wellspring

Hi :)

Just wanted to ask fellow Druidcraft owners which book(s) they had found best to use for studying the Druidcraft deeper. The book that comes with the deck is great, plus am making own file notes by studying how daily card works out ... finding that's a really helpful way to learn. Would be interested to know which books you found best and what was/is so helpful about them.

Thanks, Cat

Sulis

Hi Cat,

The only book I've used so far with my DruidCraft is the DruidCraft book. I think these cards are so full of symbolism that they speak for themselves really, no book needed.

One book you may find helpful is a dictionary of symbols found in tarot.
I use 'Pictures from the heart - a tarot dictionary' by Sandra Thomson - here's a link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0312291280/aeclectictaro-21/

If you really want to deepen your understanding of this deck I'd also recommend the study group here on Aeclectic. We've been discussing the court cards and some very interesting insights have come up.
Check it out - here's a link to the threads so far: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=34043&highlight=druidcraft
Come and join in :)

Love

Sulis xx

Baby Owl

If you are interested in learning more about the Druids in particular, I recommend The Druids by Peter Berresford Ellis.

Of course, as Druidcraft is a blend of Druidism and Wicca, you may want to consult other sources as well.

Kissa

probably you should check on other books by the carr-gomms if you want to learn more about druidcraft.

if you are after a real taste of traditional druidism, then i can't help, but others here seem to have given good advice.

my two cents,

kissa

wellspring

Sulis: Hi, I agree, there's so much rich symbolism in the Druidcraft. Did wonder if really needed to look at other books, but was just curious to ask! Many thanks for the links, and for inviting me to join in with the study. Have got it bookmarked, and will get posting!

Baby Owl: Many thanks for your recommendation. Had a look on Amazon but it's not there just now. Will keep checking in and take a look at it!

fyreflye: Although I welcome your reading recommendation, this is a thread about studying the Druidcraft deeper. Nobody can say they know exactly how it was centuries ago, and it's pointless to damn a deck without experience of working with it. I'm not stupid, and definitely wouldn't commit to working so deeply with a deck unless it intuitively felt 100% right and relevant. My first intuition about the deck, which moved me to buy it, was that there is a lot of ancient magic in it. Maybe it would be better if you posted a new thread in the 'talking tarot' section, rather than unconstructively criticizing as many decks as possible in a thread that's genuinely about deepening study with the Druidcraft.

Kissa: Appreciate your recommendations. I haven't read any of the Carr-Gomms books as yet. My focus really is on deepening the intuitive and meditative side, not about what's real or non-real Druidism! Druidcraft to me is a very feminine lunar deck, and that's the side I want to develop more. Onward and upward!

Love, Cat xx

Pipistrelle

Hi Wellspring...

Not strictly Druidcraft, more Druidry, but I am just starting on the course by the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids (OBOD), which I discovered as a direct result of getting the Druidcraft deck.

I have only had the introductory package so far, but I'm finding that reading about the themes relevant to Druidry is also deepening my connection with the cards (which obviously embrace Wicca as well, of which I have a little knowledge). Sulis is right of course, there is so much richness and detail and symbolism in the cards that you just have to look at them. I think if I had another book (i.e. apart from the one that came with the deck) that just told me what the cards meant and explained the images, that would be a bit restrictive. However, the course is making me explore the cards in light of all the new stuff I'm learning/finding out about and that makes them deeper and more personal to me. Please note, the course actually isn't about the deck...not sure if I was confusing things there!

The OBOD website also contains a lot of information about Druidry - and Wicca - in general (www.druidry.org).

(Please note, I hesitated about posting this, because it isn't directly linked to the deck...however, I felt that those interested in the Druidcraft deck may be interested in hearing about this course, as that is how I came to it. I definitely don't want anyone thinking I'm trying to advertise it or anything!)

Philip Carr-Gomm also wrote another book called "Druidcraft" which isn't about the deck but is specifically about the philosophy/spiritual path which is Druidry and Wicca combined and on which the deck is based. At first, I thought that it was the same book that came with the deck (because the titles are exactly the same, but if you read reviews at Amazon etc. you will see they are different).

Anyway, just my early morning ramblings :)

Pip

WolfSpirit

Hi wellspring ~ hope to see you in the study groups !

Philip has said in an interview (and it is also in the back of the book under Resources) that they are at the moment developing an in-depth tarot course based on working with the Druidcraft Tarot and the ideas of Wicca and Druidry. That would be something to look forward to as well, but I haven't heard yet if it is progressing.

And I agree with Pipistrelle about the book Druidcraft by Philip.
Pipistrelle, are you going to do the complete course :) ? I was thinking about it but I think it is quite an investment both time and money, and I don't know if it will enrich my life if I have all that information. Maybe I will just stick to reading books.
But I am still considering it.

Pipistrelle

WolfSpirit said:
Pipistrelle, are you going to do the complete course :) ? I was thinking about it but I think it is quite an investment both time and money, and I don't know if it will enrich my life if I have all that information. Maybe I will just stick to reading books.
But I am still considering it.
Hi WolfSpirit...
I had the same reservations as you about time and money. In fact, I started a thread on the OBOD messageboards for questions I had about the course and got some excellent feedback, if you're interested in taking a look (I'm Arachne!):
http://www.druidry.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=10059
As a result of those helpful answers, and after receiving the introductory package, I am definitely going to do the complete course! I am planning to pay by monthly standing order which makes the cost approx. £12/month, which is do-able (if I cut down on my book habit!). I certainly couldn't afford to pay it all at once at the moment.
Regarding time - you get four "lessons" a month (one a week) and from what I've seen so far, each lesson includes approx. half an hour's reading. Very easy going but also with a lot of depth so I find myself absorbing it when I'm doing other things, if you get what I mean. In fact, that's the whole point - that rather than just being a skill you learn, Druidry is something that colours everything you do, the way you see the world (I find it a lot like Tarot in that respect, as since I've been learning Tarot I have been very much aware of my personal and spiritual growth).
I have to admit, I did find the notion of doing a course on Druidry a little bit strange but it isn't a course in the traditional sense - although there are things to learn, it seems to be more about embracing the Druidic philosophy, a way of looking at the world, and the regular lessons are a way of establishing that connection. I'm not sure I'm explaining this very well. The course is very gentle and to the best of my knowledge, doesn't require oodles of time. Also, as you will see from the thread, the pace is entirely up to you and there is no requirement to complete it in a year.
Will it enrich your life? :) I don't know...but, speaking for myself, I am already feeling more "enriched" and I can't imagine not continuing with it. As soon as I found out about Druidry, I felt a very strong connection, a "yes, this is for me!" sort of thing. I'm sure the course offers different things to different people. Feel free to ask me in a few months time, however!
Anyway, that's my opinion ;) If you want any more info, you're welcome to pm me.

Pip

wellspring

Hi Pip :)

What a coincidence! I too found the Druidcraft through just generally surfing about Druidism and finding the OBOD site, and I sent off for the introductory package too. Great that you're thinking of doing the course. It looks really good and sure you'll enjoy it. If I had the money spare I'd definitely do it, as I agree that to study the themes steadily through the course is a great way to deepen your connection with the cards too. I joined the forum but just pop onto it now and then, and have a poem in the Eisteddfodd (not sure that's spelt right! lol).

Am really glad you posted about the course, and it's really relevant, as it is about meditating on the themes/where the cards came from, and great for those interested in the Druidcraft deck to hear about the course. Since getting the deck last week, have done one little meditation on the Star, and found it much the best way to really feel what the card's about, at this time anyway, as always learn new aspects as go along, and to immerse into it and let the card show what it's about is a read adventure [am recalling the 6 of Swords in the New Deck Spread!]. Star's a beautiful card; felt a real stillness, freshness and gentle cleansing energy when meditated on it.

I'm definitely going to look up Philip C-G's "Druidcraft" later on today. I'd been puzzled about what the other listing was when I ordered the deck, as it looked so similar, so now I know what it is, I'll get ordering! Thanks for clearing up the confusion I had about that, as it means I can kind of study the course but in the form of the book.

Cat