Empress as physical death???

PeonyInLove

The empress represented physical death for today.

I always pull 2 daily cards as a learning exercise. I usually do it at the start of every week and then reflect on the cards after the day is done. One card represents theme of the day and the 2nd represents advice to deal with the 1st card.

Today my theme card was the Empress. This morning, very unexpectedly my precious dog that I have had for many, many, many years and whom I treated like my child sadly died. Now I wld never of expected that from this card. Perhaps the tower but not the empress. Of course this card could be suggesting other things that came into play today like the fact that I used my position of a 'mother' to keep me grounded as I am so guttered I want to fall apart. My own mother has been of great support to me today also as my dog was a great member of our family. But I'm curious to see if the empress has represented physical death to anyone before?

Thank you x

Thirteen

The Eternal Mother

Today my theme card was the Empress. This morning, very unexpectedly my precious dog that I have had for many, many, many years and whom I treated like my child sadly died.
I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I think most of us know what it's like to lose a beloved pet, I certainly do, and even after several years, I still ache. As for the Empress, you said it in your post. Your pet was: "like my child." The theme of the day wasn't death. It was being a mother.

When you get an unexpectedly "good" card rather than the Tower or Death, then even though a death happened, the card you got should NOT be taken to indicate it. Rather, such cards are indicative of some knowledge, some comfort, the cards wanted to give you. Imagine yourself as the cards. You know that your reader is going to lose her beloved pet that day and there is nothing to change that. You have only two words you can say to her. Would one of them be "death"? That seems a waste of one of your two precious words. Wouldn't you rather say something to help her through this, as much as any of us can be helped in such circumstances?

I believe the message of that one-word Empress was: "You have been the best of mothers, a loving guardian of your dog. Grieve, as a mother must, but keep in mind also that your dog lived a happy doggy life thanks to you, and your motherly care." That was the theme for the day; physical death is a transient state of being. But the Empress, the power of the mother, is eternal. You were that for your dog, still are that, and will be that again.

I know it will be hard given the circumstances, but please try to see the Empress in that way, not as a representation of any kind of passing. This is not a card you should fear will bring you sorrow when it appears in readings. Rather, this card is the deck's way of saluting you, and thanking you for all you did for your dog. it is the deck's way of acknowledging and bowing to the mother that you were and are.

PeonyInLove

I'm terribly sorry for your loss. I think most of us know what it's like to lose a beloved pet, I certainly do, and even after several years, I still ache. As for the Empress, you said it in your post. Your pet was: "like my child." The theme of the day wasn't death. It was being a mother.

When you get an unexpectedly "good" card rather than the Tower or Death, then even though a death happened, the card you got should NOT be taken to indicate it. Rather, such cards are indicative of some knowledge, some comfort, the cards wanted to give you. Imagine yourself as the cards. You know that your reader is going to lose her beloved pet that day and there is nothing to change that. You have only two words you can say to her. Would one of them be "death"? That seems a waste of one of your two precious words. Wouldn't you rather say something to help her through this, as much as any of us can be helped in such circumstances?

I believe the message of that one-word Empress was: "You have been the best of mothers, a loving guardian of your dog. Grieve, as a mother must, but keep in mind also that your dog lived a happy doggy life thanks to you, and your motherly care." That was the theme for the day; physical death is a transient state of being. But the Empress, the power of the mother, is eternal. You were that for your dog, still are that, and will be that again.

I know it will be hard given the circumstances, but please try to see the Empress in that way, not as a representation of any kind of passing. This is not a card you should fear will bring you sorrow when it appears in readings. Rather, this card is the deck's way of saluting you, and thanking you for all you did for your dog. it is the deck's way of acknowledging and bowing to the mother that you were and are.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for this lovely interpretation! I cried my eyes out reading it, it truly touched me. I've been so confused over the empress here but your explanation makes so much sense. My heart is truly shattered and I have been thinking all day that I hope I gave him a good life. That I'm so sorry for leaving him out once my son was born when he was so used to being my baby. I can't remember the last time I was this heartbroken. But your lovely, kind words and advice makes me feel so much better! Truly, thank you so much xx

Tigerangel

I agree with everything thirteen has said, I definitely feel that tarot will give you the best card to comfort you if such circumstances do arrive in your life, I once had the lovers come up for a for a death the card was saying the person had now gone back to somewhere where they would find love and peace.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I have lost a few dogs over the years, but none has ever hurt me emotionally as the loss of my dog called Zac who I had in my teens, he was my best friend and I grieved his loss for a very long time, it's been 24 years now and I still carry a picture of him in my purse, I got another dog about 10 year ago who was the spitting image of Zac her name was Mindy, but unfortunately I had to have her put to sleep as she had a brain tumour, which left her unable to walk, I was so racked with guilt for having to do that, the next day after it was all over I had a dream about her, my daughter had walked through the front door with her and she was all energetic and walking perfectly, she came up to me all excited wanting to play, when I woke up I realized that was her way of thanking me for ending her pain and she was happy now.

Some people wonder how some of us can get so upset about the loss of a pet, but when you care and love for an animal they become a member of your family and that loss is none the less painful than losing a person, that fact your drew the empress should be a comforting throught for you and letting you know your dog seen you as their mother, maybe you'll be lucky like me.and get a dream from them letting you know that there ok now and not to worry about them cause they're playing with all the other dogs in doggy heaven.

HOLMES

you know it could

one of the things is that we return to the earth when we pass on, unless there was preserving methods like caskets, mummification, or certains conditions where we can find skeltons preserved in the world from 100 years ago.. that we are destined to return to dust.

one numerology method I use is 3 plus ten makes 13 so the emperess is connected to the death energy and vice versa. I like to think that your dogs spirit ran around the land, and the house,, before returning to the light.

one thing that would stand out for me is emperress is nature so where death can be natural, the emperess would be the most natural gentle passing of old age that it can be.

PeonyInLove

I agree with everything thirteen has said, I definitely feel that tarot will give you the best card to comfort you if such circumstances do arrive in your life, I once had the lovers come up for a for a death the card was saying the person had now gone back to somewhere where they would find love and peace.

I'm so sorry for your loss, I have lost a few dogs over the years, but none has ever hurt me emotionally as the loss of my dog called Zac who I had in my teens, he was my best friend and I grieved his loss for a very long time, it's been 24 years now and I still carry a picture of him in my purse, I got another dog about 10 year ago who was the spitting image of Zac her name was Mindy, but unfortunately I had to have her put to sleep as she had a brain tumour, which left her unable to walk, I was so racked with guilt for having to do that, the next day after it was all over I had a dream about her, my daughter had walked through the front door with her and she was all energetic and walking perfectly, she came up to me all excited wanting to play, when I woke up I realized that was her way of thanking me for ending her pain and she was happy now.

Some people wonder how some of us can get so upset about the loss of a pet, but when you care and love for an animal they become a member of your family and that loss is none the less painful than losing a person, that fact your drew the empress should be a comforting throught for you and letting you know your dog seen you as their mother, maybe you'll be lucky like me.and get a dream from them letting you know that there ok now and not to worry about them cause they're playing with all the other dogs in doggy heaven.

Thank you for your kind words xxx I've always been such an animal lover and this dog was just so human like lol it honestly feels like I have lost a very close friend of family member. Today has been one of the worst days of my life, I've never felt this kind of grief before. It might sound strange to some who don't understand the bond between humans and animals and I have lost people around me so know what it's like to deal with the loss, but this death of my pet has surpassed any grief I have ever had to deal with. You're very right also and I have now come to see tarot in a different light. Silly me thought all this time that the cards I pull in my daily readings were predictors, were forecasting a good or bad day, a warning even. If I received a not so nice card I would brace myself. Now I can see so clearly that tarot goes beyond my expectations and trying to convey something so much more relevant and meaningful. Thanx again xx

PeonyInLove

one of the things is that we return to the earth when we pass on, unless there was preserving methods like caskets, mummification, or certains conditions where we can find skeltons preserved in the world from 100 years ago.. that we are destined to return to dust.

one numerology method I use is 3 plus ten makes 13 so the emperess is connected to the death energy and vice versa. I like to think that your dogs spirit ran around the land, and the house,, before returning to the light.

one thing that would stand out for me is emperress is nature so where death can be natural, the emperess would be the most natural gentle passing of old age that it can be.

Thank you he did go peacefully in the end... I done a bit of research earlier and I also found that the empress can be linked to death because of the number 3 and 13 which is the death card. Interesting and a different insight into the card. Thank you for your help, I appreciate it xxx

Thirteen

Thank you he did go peacefully in the end... I done a bit of research earlier and I also found that the empress can be linked to death because of the number 3 and 13 which is the death card.
Numerically this might be the case, mythologically as well if we relate her to Demeter. What I think is most important about Holmes' observation, however, is that if the Empress relates to a passing, her message is that it will be peaceful and gentle.

You asked why the Empress rather than the Tower or Death, and that was such an important question. Because the Empress card gives you more than just "a day of shock" or "a day of passing." The Empress card has so many things to say to you: the love from your mother to get you through this, the whole of your dog's relationship to you and you to him. And the message about a peaceful passing.

What I think I'm saying is, we often gain more if we look at a card's meaning beyond the event, rather than just trying to make it equal the event. I'm very glad you posted this. Because I would hate for you or anyone else to see the Empress only as signaling your dog's passing. The Empress is so generous and bountiful; and it is clear to me, at least, that this card was meant to offer you memorial bouquets and messages about living and about love, not merely to predict a passing.

PeonyInLove

Numerically this might be the case, mythologically as well if we relate her to Demeter. What I think is most important about Holmes' observation, however, is that if the Empress relates to a passing, her message is that it will be peaceful and gentle.

You asked why the Empress rather than the Tower or Death, and that was such an important question. Because the Empress card gives you more than just "a day of shock" or "a day of passing." The Empress card has so many things to say to you: the love from your mother to get you through this, the whole of your dog's relationship to you and you to him. And the message about a peaceful passing.

What I think I'm saying is, we often gain more if we look at a card's meaning beyond the event, rather than just trying to make it equal the event. I'm very glad you posted this. Because I would hate for you or anyone else to see the Empress only as signaling your dog's passing. The Empress is so generous and bountiful; and it is clear to me, at least, that this card was meant to offer you memorial bouquets and messages about living and about love, not merely to predict a passing.

How incredibly true and I have realised that I have been using tarot so wrong. I've been approaching it in a bit of narrow minded way and it took the passing of my beloved pet to wrap my head around it. Even if there were certain cards that cld predict death,would I want to know? No, I wouldn't. Even if I knew that death was coming would I be able to change it? Probably not. So trying to predict something or relate a card or cards to death is insignificant. The message that you explained to me is much more significant to me. I love him, he loved me. We had a great bond that I haven't had with many humans. So in a way I think this empress was saying to feel these emotions, feel the love, just because he has gone doesn't take my love away because it was pure unconditional love. Considering she was the theme of my day it's uncanny that life and cherishing life and the ones I love was the forefront of the day and in the end her beautiful messages comforted me when I needed it the most.

Laurelle

Peony,

I think everyone said what I wanted to say about the Empress and your dog. I think if you had drawn more cards, you probably would have also gotten Death. I draw 6 cards a day and analyze them. But because you drew one card, I can see how the Empress would be more appropriate. Tarot may have also been sending you a hint to think about the card meanings in more depth.

I am so sorry that you lost your dog. Anytime we lose an animal it's hard. We have a cat, Loki, and he's part of our triadic family.

I just wanted to say that you seem just like the Empress: warm, loving, nurturing, fertile.

And yes, I believe that the Empress knows a lot about death as this is also related to life. Everything comes to pass as it comes into existence. The Empress knows this more than any other card.