Encyclopedia of Tarot

Dusk Till Dawn

I really can hardly wait also!

Crescent

interesting

I do wonder, is this more pictorial or with much written information? i see it at amazon for a really good price for the 4 volumes.
The reviews there werent helpful..

rwcarter

Crescent said:
I do wonder, is this more pictorial or with much written information? i see it at amazon for a really good price for the 4 volumes.
The reviews there werent helpful..
Both. In some cases, there are only a few sample pictures from a given deck and in other cases there's a whole page of pictures. As for the text, there might be a short paragraph on the deck or there might be a full page.

I was never interested in the books, but my partner bought me the first three and next thing I knew I was hooked on them.

One thing I think everyone can agree on is that these books are the ultimate Enabling tool for decks you've never heard of and may not be able to find! })

Volume IV came out in 2005, so you won't find any current decks listed in any of the books.

Rodney

Gerbear

When Vol IV came out, it included a section for unpublished decks. Now, many of them are available. There is about five years worth of new decks, so far, for Vol V. I can hardly wait.

rwcarter

rwcarter said:
Volume IV came out in 2005, so you won't find any current decks listed in any of the books.
"Current" wasn't the right word to use there. It's more true to say that you won't find most of the decks that have been released in the last 5 years in Vol IV. I'd honestly forgotten about the Unpublished Decks section of Vol IV (thanks Gerbear!), so some of the decks that are listed in Vol IV with sample pics are:
  • Revelations (under its original title Adflatus)
  • Tarot of the Dead
  • Floral Ellipse Tarot (I'm pretty sure I've seen this one on eBay)
  • Gaian
  • International Icon
  • Maat
  • Mary-El
  • Tarot of Timeless Truth

There's also a color insert section of individual cards from various decks, most of which I've heard of (and some of which are already OOP).

Rodney

Gerbear

In addition, Adam McLean has published some of the "unpublished decks, including these;

Tarot of the Angry Moon Tarot, published as the Obscura Tarot
Ascension Tarot
Cathar Tarot, published as the Aleph Tarot

Others that I've acquired from that section;

Andrei Bezukladnikov Tarot
Gli Arcani di Casanova / Carla Tolomeo
Intuitive Tarot / Sands
Medicator Tarot
Michael's Tarot
Modern Folk Tarot
Motherwell Tarot
Mundane Tarot
Nimue Tarot
One in Ten Tarot
Ouroboros Mail Artists' Tarot
Samantha's Tarot
Tarot der Schatten
Simple Tarot
Star Tarot / McClelland
Stone Tarot
Tarot of Timeless Truth
Melissa Townsend Tarot
Urban Tarot
Viggo Tarot

Another one which I do not have is the Full Moon Dreams Tarot.

The cut off date for Vol IV was 1990, so many of these may be familiar to the forum.

Briar Rose

Does anyone know if Stuart Kaplan is coming out with volume 5? And if so, when?

zhahmi

Briar Rose,

I believed volume 5 came out in 2005.

GeorgiePorgie

zhahmi said:
Briar Rose,

I believed volume 5 came out in 2005.
I THINK volume 4 came out in 2005 (eta, yes see rwcarters post above). Now we want volume 5.

Floss

Have just received the four volume set as a birthday present - I'm gobsmacked. Just BEAUTIFUL.