Evaluating decks for a purchase price. HA!

lark

The crowned one said:
Speaking of values...Tarot of Marseilles (Grimaud Edition) 1970. Any thoughts...my value guide seems to not have this one listed ;). Someone here on the Island is offering this deck to me, but I do not know what a fair price would be. 10.00? 20.00? ...
Depends on what the blue on the deck looks like...if it is that beautiful light blue that shows the drawing well through it, then that one is OOP and well worth it if you can get it for $20.00.

Grizabella

TwinMoons said:
The prices really can be confusing. When I was looking to buy my first deck last month, I had a hard time understanding how the prices worked. I was browsing online a bit and was shocked, as a newbie to the tarot world, to see the range in prices but also that the prices for the same deck could vary so much from site to site. I still don't really understand the pricing...

If you're new to Tarot, just get a new Universal Waite or something like that for $15-$20 and learn with that. No sense spending big bucks on an OOP collector deck just because it "calls" to you. I don't think theme decks are a good first deck, either. RWS or a good clone will be your very best investment and the quickest, easiest to learn with.

The crowned one

Anyone buying unusual decks or common 00P I would love to know what you put out (cash wise)...PM or post amount here for my research/compilation.

Thanks!!

Skimo

I have found a Tarot de Gruyères for 30 euros (including shipping) on Ebay France.

I was the only bidder, I couldn't resist buying it, knowing it was out of print and that even if I didn't connect with it, some people around here in AT would be interested, at least I think...

sleepingcat

There's scalpers out there, taking advantage of a market some people would see as vunerable and susceptible. ...No one around here, of course, but some folks just arent as savy.

Like the crystal shops that charge upwards of twenty dollars for small peices of "charged" quartz. Or well over a hundred for a cluster. As geologic samples the peices are ...crummy.

Fools and their money, I suppose. But it does pay to look around.

I usually buy from borders, simply because I always have some kind of 20% discount sitting in my inbox. If you use their little card you get some pretty good deals. They had a 40% off a single item cupon last fall.... : D

Silverlotus

I was lucky enough to get the Shakespearian Tarot a little while ago for about $25, and yet on Amazon and on eBay it goes for over $60. I don't buy decks to make money, I buy them because I like them. ;)

On the topic of a blue book for Tarot, I noticed the other day that Tarot Garden seems to be starting that for some decks. Browse their site and you will see a button for the Blue Book value for each deck. It seems that most have no value attached to them yet though. (You need to be logged in to see this option.)

Le Fanu

What Im curious about is whether there is a standard list of, say 10 decks which will always be collectable. I know the market fluctuates, but some things are always valuable. Like Art. I mean, Rembrandt will always, always be desirable. Others come and go. Even supposed Old Masters can change in value from generation to generation. But Rembrandt and Picasso are always up there...

Are there any decks or editions which are definitively, permanently worth something, regardless of passing trends?

Or is a deck desirable until they do a new print run?

6HD mentioned the Morroccan Fez (I too have an original 70s one!), but is this only desirable until somebody decides to reissue it?

The crowned one

It will be intresting to see what affect if any the new ltd 2000 decks release Buckland-Romani has on the value of the original for collectors.

I am finding "collecters" will pay quite a bit more then "readers" on average, but a reader will pay more for their "must have" deck then a collector...

Alta

I understand that a re-issue pretty well kills off the price of the OOP original, unless, I suppose, the reissue is inferior in some way. In the case of the Alchemical, I think it will kill the re-sale market because the re-issue is a lot better and comes with the artist's blessing and a genuine renewal.

Alta

Le Fanu said:
Are there any decks or editions which are definitively, permanently worth something, regardless of passing trends?
I understand that the Greenwood won't be re-issued, and also the Blue Rose. So I guess those two are safe investments.