Exploring the Six of Cups

Major Tom

I have to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. :D

The discussion informed my recent completion of the 6 of Cups for Major Tom's Tarot. })

LeahG

Ah ha!!

Thirteen explains in her tarot basics as the "ah ha" experiences.

I have struggled with seeing the meaning of the 6 of Cups for a long time....

Until now!!

I had the 6 of Cups and the star for my daily cards for thursday - looked at them quickly, didn't give them any thought and went to work.

Then I experienced the 6 of Cups later that night....received phone call from friend - met at bar for drinks for friends birthday- but the night turned out to be different. It was nostalgic, went to a all club with a group of friends who hadn't all been out together in a long time, danced around to music we all used to love, and met a old flame of mine - realised I still love him. The night has really helped to heal some of my recent loss and disappointment.
So nostalgia, friends from the past, old loves, the girl/boy next door - ah ha! Everything falls into place, it all makes sense!

Is this the essence of the 6 of cups?!

gloria

six of cups

There are a couple of books which describe the 6/cups card in RWS deck as a dwarf offering cup to a child. But surely the card pictures a little old lady with white hair, not a child.
What are your ideas on the castle and guards in the background?

Silverlotus

I've always seen the card as an older child offering a cup to a younger child. :) The colours in the Universal Waite make it appear this way, since the smaller figure doesn't have the white hair you mention.

I see the house in the background as their home. It is part castle and part cottage, so it is both secure and comforting.

Overall I see the picture more or less as an idealized childhood. The children get along well, home is safe and comforting, etc.

firemaiden

The children have bizarre little red caps. In Germany I have seen children wearing exactly those caps.

NeXoRiouS

In Universal Waite, there's another man dressed in white walking towards the buildings. Guess it means looking back. If it is really as I presumed, the buildings signify past memories.

The buildings are a fort and cottage which could mean worries and sweet memories respectively.

I guessed so, please pin point me if I am wrong.

Silverlotus

NeXoRiouS said:
In Universal Waite, there's another man dressed in white walking towards the buildings. Guess it means looking back. If it is really as I presumed, the buildings signify past memories.

I didn't notice that third figure until you mention it, NeXoRiouS. Interesting. I'm not sure what to make of him. Perhaps he is a guard, adding to the feeling of safety I get from the card.

gloria

6/cups

Silverlotus said:
I've always seen the card as an older child offering a cup to a younger child. :) The colours in the Universal Waite make it appear this way, since the smaller figure doesn't have the white hair you mention.

I see the house in the background as their home. It is part castle and part cottage, so it is both secure and comforting.

Overall I see the picture more or less as an idealized childhood. The children get along well, home is safe and comforting, etc.

Many thanks for your views

Trogon

Re: Ah ha!!

Kitty said:
... [snip] So nostalgia, friends from the past, old loves, the girl/boy next door - ah ha! Everything falls into place, it all makes sense!

Is this the essence of the 6 of cups?!
Yep Kitty... sounds about right to me... :laugh: Sounds like you had a great time! Good for you!

galadrial

I read in a book that the older person in the card can represent the past giving a gift to the younger person, or future. This card has always meant to me that the emotional enviornment I create for my son now will become his childhood memories in the future. In fact I recently drew this card as the ''Blessing" card in the Gypsy Gold Spread. For the "Future (if this blessing is implemented)" I drew the Tower. In the deck used, there are two figures with wings flying away from the Tower. I interpreted this as meaning that if I continue to conciously create a stable, loving enviornment for him now, then when it is time for him to leave home we will both be strong enough to fly into the future.