Faceless art -- spawned in slime?

firemaiden

Interesting post, Hindu Fetish. I agree with you that where he took it was just plain silly. (I think he would probably agree too... I mean, he was just sort of rambling on in a private letter.)

Anyhow, yeah, wasn't he gay (or bi) himself?

skytwig

I was going to say, WHAT A JERK!!!

But I like this better:

quote from Alobar:
what a prick! his unabashed arrogance on full display here...

I got the deck because I liked Lady Harris's interpretation....

(And obviously she won...... Wuhoooooooo!!! She let the Jerk babble like an idiot and did what she wanted to do anyway.... )

And personally..... I don't care what he may have contributed to Tarot.... he's still a .... see above :)

f. silvestris

I think the lack of detail on the faces makes me focus on the cards more - the figures aren't foregrounded, but part of the composition - also, curiosity about what is indistinct draws the watcher in [the princess of cups/chalices, for instance]. On the matter of eyes, don't forget the opened Eye of Shiva on two cards [I have to say it looks distinctly similar to Peter Jackson's Eye of Sauron on The Tower].

Umbrae

Perhaps, once you give it eyes – once you assign a face – you lock the card down? You ‘peg’ a meaning? You lose flexability of interpretation?

Nope.

Look at Soul Cards, they show eyes…but then they are overlooked and shunned – they have no LWB.

Crowley was indeed a pudding, and a figgy one at that. He wanted eyes to haunt; he wanted eyes for affect – not effect.

Nevada

Re: Impartial Justice or -- demon of malignant darkness?

firemaiden said:
Do you see Adjustment as a portrayal of impartial justice? or does the card rather suggest the "demon of malignant darkness?"
I see it as the struggle for impartiality. Imparitiality is impossible to maintain constantly. Just look at the card. It's difficult to stand on one's tippy toes like that for very long!

Nevada (Libra sun)

Emily

Lady Freida must have been a strong character to get the deck illustrations how she and not Crowley wanted it - no wonder she painted so many versions of the Cards lol - I think that if more of the figures had eyes it would be too strong a deck for me to use, usually I like expressions on faces but there is so much more happening on these cards that I don't miss expressions and it doesn't bother me that some figures look away or have their backs to you.

Moongold

How about the Eye of Horus in the Tower card, firemaiden?

There are quite a few cards with faces, although on many of them, you can't see the eyes wide open or determine much expression.

I always saw this absence of expression as indicating the smallness of the individual (Man) when seen against the Cosmos. Like sand on the sea shore :).

In each card, there is so much else happening, that I don't have a sense of being deprived of human expression. It simply occurs in another form.

I simply love the Troth. I don't have Crowley's book though. I must buy it during the Christmas break but hope it does not spoil things for me. I feel as though I want to stay simply with Freida's art.

Moongold

f. silvestris

oh, I'm sorry, was I wrong about the eye on the Tower? I thought it was the eye of Shiva that destroys the world when it opens [comes into the Book of Lies, I think]

Moongold

Hahahah :D

Now HERE is a significant eye.

Gerard Ziegler call this one the eye of Horus.

In the Sephiroth Tarot the Eye of Ra appears in the Tower Card.

How many eyes are there in various Tower cards? How many mythological eyes are there?

Help anyone?

Moongold

firemaiden

You are going to have to work to convince me that the eyes of Horus, Ra, and Shiva are different eyes...

MP uses an eye in the pool of water in the Moon card...