Famous Cartomancers

Sentient

If you could consult any cartomancer - living or dead - who would you choose?

For me, I think I'd like to get a reading by Marie-Anne LeNormand (1772 - 1843) who consulted many times with Josephine de Beauharnais; and was supposed to have read for Robespierre, Louis XVIII and many other powerful people. She must have been quite something to have held the attention of so many for so long.

By the way, I would love to hear from anyone who has seen or read any of her books:

"Les souvenirs prophétiques d'une sibylle: sur les causes secrètes de son arrestation, le 11 décembre 1809 (Paris, 1814) 196p.

"Mémoirs Historique et Secrets de L'Imperatrice Joséphine, Marie-Rose Tascher De La Pagerie, Première Épouse De Napoléon Bonaparte" (Paris, November 1820) [Note: I believe this volume was translated into English in 1847]

"Souvenirs de la Belgique, cent jours d'infortunes ou le procès mémorable" (Paris, October 1822) 414p. [Report of her trial in Brussels]

Elven

Yes, a reading Mdme Lenormand would be pretty awesome - Im trying to think of others - hmm ... maybe I'd better wait until I can think of someone :p

Just curious - What does the French say?

Blessings
Elven x

Sentient

This is my best translation, though my French is quite poor.

“The Prophetic Souvenirs of a Sibyl: on the Secret Causes of her Arrest.”

“Historical Memoirs and Secrets of the Empress Josephine (Marie-Rose Tascher De La Pagerie), First Wife of Napoleon Bonaparte.”

“Souvenirs from Belgium: 100 Days of Misfortune, or the Memorable Trial.”

Fatima

Jean Baptiste Aliette a.k.a. Etteila.
This one too must have been something!
Dr. John Dee also, although I am not sure he read cards.
From somebody still alive but interesting nonetheless, Elisabeth Tessier (even though again I don't think she reads cards).

F.

catlin

I would have loved to have my cards read by Beasty Boy himself ;) old Alli boy Crowley.

catlin

As for Elisabeth Tessier, why, if she is the same who did an Astro Show on German TV (AGES AGO), I bet she did not read cards, she only showed her legs and waffled something so-so about astrology.

Sentient

Sexual Revolutionary

Yes, getting a reading from Aleister Crowley would be a hoot!

I don't know if it would be practical or helpful, but it would certainly be interesting. Here are the first few lines on him from wikipedia:

Aleister Crowley, born Edward Alexander Crowley (12 October 1875 – 1 December 1947) was an occultist, prolific writer, mystic, hedonist, and sexual revolutionary. Other interests and accomplishments were wide-ranging—he was a chess master, mountain climber, poet, painter, astrologer, drug experimenter, and social critic. He is perhaps best known today for his occult writings, especially The Book of the Law, the central sacred text of Thelema. Crowley was also an influential member in several occult organizations, including the Golden Dawn, the A.'.A.'., and Ordo Templi Orientis. He gained much notoriety during his lifetime, and was famously dubbed "The Wickedest Man In the World."

I like that title - "Sexual Revolutionary"!

Elven

Thankyou for the translation Sentient :D
They sound like a very interesting read!!

Blessings
Elven x

HarleyQuinnX

I could only imagine a dual reading with Aliester Crowley and Miss Cleo. Crowley would say something, then Miss Cleo would automatically say that Aleister is wrong and that he's crazy, dropping her accent somewhere in the arguement. They'd argue back and forth, and instead of a reading, I get a comedy show.
:D

Sentient

HarleyQuinnX: nice!

Hey - good entertainment is hard to find.

:)