Finding a Pendulum

Aunty Anthea

Hitler used pendulums

Well possibly not Hitler himself. Pendulums were used by the German military to locate enemy (ie our) installations and ships during World War 2

Pendulums have probably been used for many centuries as a part of spell casting and divination. Originally, those using pendulums would have been thought of as evil and Satanic. Their use would most probably have gone unreported and generally unknown of other than by those who used them

Only in more recent centuries pendulums have pendulums been used to locate things and people. They tend to work especially well with maps. And are often used to locate oil, water and mineral deposits on maps, prior to dowsers going to an actual location with dowsing rods :)

IndigoIsabelle

We used dowsing rods to find a water line in our yard. It works. They move in your hands when you cross water, electrical, phone lines, etc...
I tried it. It's amazing.

EmpyreanKnight

I have a beautiful red jasper pendulum on a silver chain. I also have a rather elegant rose quartz pendulum hung on a chain of multi-hued crystal chakra chips representing the seven different chakras. On the opposite end is a heart-shaped rose quartz.

I saw them online, loved them, then bought them. When I finally got to actually handle them, I never noticed feeling anything negative. I hope that's enough though.

I initially thought I would use these as a complement to my Tarot cards, whether as part of a ritual or to energize them. Since I'm still fully immersed in an in-depth study of the latter, my research on this would have to wait.

karumenneko

Made mine from interesting pieces I find ( a chain with blue flowers and a Larimar rock). Like I feel comfortable with it ( it's the creation I am proud of) I can't imagine using another one. Maybe that can work for you too.

Tanga

The "Right One" for me - was to do with the weight. And I went through many different ones before I found it. It's a tiny little solid silver drop.
Wooden ones are generally too light.
Brass one works too - though I noticed these days mostly - the brass ones available are metal that's dipped in brass, rather than brass through-and-through. Such a shame.
I hate noticing how quality declines.

I have a few pretty crystal ones (an obsidian one with a pentacle carved into it, a lapis one, one with 7 crystals faceted together in chakra order, a very large Astrophylite one that was a gift - how I WISH I could use this one, as I love the idea of Astrophylite... etc.)

But actually - I'm better with a dowsing L-rod. A standard sized one, which means it's a bit more bulky to carry around. So mostly I just don't. Lol. (I've tried the small size ones, or telescopic ones that fold up. Don't work).
I've also tried Y-rods, and dowsing wands too. (it would be fab if I could get a wand to work - seeing as I'm Wiccan. Hah!). But the L-rod works best.

I once watched a documentary in which a woman in South Africa dowsed for where to dig for diamonds - by holding a diamond in her hand over a map - and randomly tapping on the map at speed. Apparently she just "felt" where her hand landed a bit more "stickily" in the right areas.

Plus one can dowse just with "the stick" method. Rub your finger and thumb together.
Sticky = yes. Not sticky = no.

Fascinating stuff. :)