Focus/meditation/rituals done BEFORE a reading...

KristinCali

My biggest struggle is FOCUS. You know when you're preparing for a reading, as you're shuffling your deck, you're supposed to be focusing/meditating on your question? That's the hardest part for me! My over-active mind wanders like you wouldn't believe, and most of the time I don't even realize it. I'll lay my cards and have a "just ok" reading.

Tonight I turned the tv off, lit a candle, and forced myself to focus intensely on my question while I was shuffling. Well, what do you know... I had a fantastic reading! Each card was like a light bulb turning on in my brain. I didn't stumble or doubt anything.

I guess I'm sharing this because often I forget the importance of PRE meditation.

What do you do before a reading? How do you prepare?

Inconnu

Nothing but practice helps me focus. The more you do it, the more easily it comes.

ivanna

I have the same problem. I should practise meditation. In fact I have been looking for a good book, if anyone can suggest me a book to introduce me into the meditaton, I would be gratefull.

PAMUYA

I meditate daily, or try to ;) This keeps me focused. I do not find it necessary to meditate before a reading.... I do spend a lot of time with my clients working on the question, a very clear question. We both become very focused. The question is the most important part of any reading. I quess you could think of this as meditation. A single point of focus.

dancing_moon

I sometimes have the same problem. :D I do meditate quite often, just following my breath as I breathe. It's both relaxing and focusing, and you don't need any books to learn it. :)

For a Tarot reading, when you're doing a reading for yourself/by email/on the forum, i.e. when the actual client is yourself or isn't present during the reading, my way of focusing is repeating the question silently several times while shuffling the cards, for as long as you need to shuffle. Turning off the TV, closing the door of my room etc. go without saying. :D And, like others have said, the more you practice, the easier it comes.

WolfyJames

That is a good thread. Too often people care more about cleansing their decks than doing any work to clear their mind, center themselves, gain some objectivity, focus on the question, before doing reading. That is more important than cleansing a deck.

LadyV

I'm terrible with focus too. If I feel my mind wandering, I try to focus on shuffling the cards, which takes me FOREVER, and say the question over and over again. I also like to listen to music, usually light classical.

jema

How I do it

I focus by writing
Just empty the days luggage into a journal before a reading
then write down the question clearly with pen and paper, place the paper on the table and mix and deal the cards, write down the cards.
Then let your intuition speak.

danieljuk

I struggle with this as well. From reading lots about meditation, you have to find the way which works for you! there is so many ways of doing it, listen to music, play music, ring bells, count your breaths, visualise colours, chanting, starring at a picture, starring at a candle flame. It's an area that I really suggest experimenting in because it's different for every person!

I try to do short meditations in a day. I kept trying to do it for longer and longer but actually it's better to master 5 mins twice a day and do that 5 or 6 days a week. doing it regularly rather than trying one hour once a month.

When I do tarot I calm myself, try to blank the mind and take 10 deep breathes and relax. It's a little meditation to help focus.

zhan.thay

I have the same problem. I should practise meditation. In fact I have been looking for a good book, if anyone can suggest me a book to introduce me into the meditaton, I would be gratefull.

There are many books and many techniques. As a student of Tibetan Buddhism I got great value from a small book by Thrangu Rinpoche. It wouldn't be for everyone because there are many unfamiliar concepts to grasp. For me, after many years, I still find counting 1 on the inbreath, 1 on the outbreath, 2 on the inbreath, 2 on the outbreath... up to 21 helps me be aware of whether my breathing pattern and headspace is calm. It doesn't have to be any particular target. It could be 22 for the 22 tarot trumps for example. It's important too, not to worry if something distracts you or you lose count. Don't be dismayed just start again. As someone else posted, many short sessions are better than an intense, earnest struggle in one long session once a month or even once a day. The purpose after all is to achieve tranquillity of mind.

As for preparing for a reading: having a question is setting an intention. The more that it is a conscientious and mindful intention, the more effect it will have in the universe at large. If it is not just in the mind but vocalised that is having an added reinforcing effect. If, as well as this, some actions also support the intention, the effect has more force in your own mind and whoever your with. More of the universe is becoming aware of your intention.

Lighting a candle, removing external interruptions, lighting incense, having a special cloth to lay the cards on...etc it's all good. It's an aid if the actions are done with care and deliberate movement. A chosen phrase or mantra repeated with each deliberate action can also help. In Tibetan Buddhism "Om Ah Hum" is spoken when placing each offering on the altar, for instance. Thelemites and others may well choose differently.

As with a conscious breathing meditation practice it doesn't matter if it's not always perfectly performed. These are really just helpful additions. Set the intention with the question and you have put it out to the universe. Laying the first card anchors the intention, and your mind, with the physical world.