friendship or love?

starlite

are there specific cards that pertain to just love or just friendship? i've heard that wands are usually about friendship. would you say pulling the 4 wands, 3 cups, 6 cups, and 10 cups (as an outcome) would pertain more to love or friendship if the question asked was around potential love relationship, even if there were no other cups, such as the ace, 2, or lovers? also, if there are no majors, does this mean it's not a significant relationship?

i have come across people who say that certain cards indicate love. i guess it all comes down to the situation at hand and intuition to determine.

any thoughts?

cherryberry

I think this is difficult to answer, one would need more cards to the get 'feel; in which a direction is going.

Also, it depends how at which stage one is in the friendship/relationship.

Example, I did a reading for a family member recently, before a first date, they had the 10/cups as outcome, which puzzled me intially as it didn't feel right. Having that at the beginning....what can I say, nothing happened between them, they have a loose friendship now :) But both seems happy at their place....so, tricky, tricky :)

starlite

well, the common theme about the relationship in question has involved these cards in past readings, along with the lovers, 2 cups, sun. also, the hermit shows up around him. this is someone i know, but not really well. there's a mutual attraction, where we very briefly dated 6 months ago, but stopped because he was getting over someone. we recently reconnected, as friends, but i got the feeling from him that he's still attracted but hesitant. he's shy and a bit reserved. i think he's interested, but wants to develop a friendship first, slowly. so, i guess this could be saying that there's romantic potential, but nothing right away.

YDM42

4 wands, (established-stable)
3 cups, (friendship-support)
6 cups, (past-innocence)
and 10 cups (as an outcome) (fulfilled)
------
23 or 5- Routine-Ritual, Completion.
-----
I would say that the friendship (or whatever kinship) that was a established in the past is all there is to it.
-----

starlite

yeah, i could definitely see that take on it, seeing that's what the situation is at the present - the developmental stage of friendship with someone from my past. this could very well be wishful thinking, but it's possible things could change. nothing is set in stone. this was read as the 10 cups as a future outlook. there aren't negative cards around this 10 to signify a bad ending. the 10 cups to me is about attaining the happniness in the form you want it. right now, my future fulfillment would be to date this guy, but of course, that could also change.

sorry, this turned this into a reading interpretation somewhat. thanks for the input.

starrystarrynight

I would say to give it time, starlite. Don't rush to the conclusion that friendship is all there will be here. The Ten of Cups (as outcome) is a point to which you are working, and that one can represent a firm, loving (and lasting) relationship. The fact that it came at the end of your spread suggests that you aren't there...yet.

If he has shown up as the Hermit, it could signify that he is giving the thing some deep thought but will not be rushed into anything.

Sometimes spreads can take a long time to come to fruition. If you have done this throw recently, it just may not have played out to completion yet.

YDM42

I'm sorry for going off topic. I like your take on it. My response was provoked by the comment on the ten of cups not ending up in a relationship. I have had that happen with myself and a reading...10 cups and nothing. But, as you say about your situation, I believe that choice was mine- otherwise it could have gone on and on and on.
starlite said:
yeah, i could definitely see that take on it, seeing that's what the situation is at the present - the developmental stage of friendship with someone from my past. this could very well be wishful thinking, but it's possible things could change. nothing is set in stone. this was read as the 10 cups as a future outlook. there aren't negative cards around this 10 to signify a bad ending. the 10 cups to me is about attaining the happniness in the form you want it. right now, my future fulfillment would be to date this guy, but of course, that could also change.

sorry, this turned this into a reading interpretation somewhat. thanks for the input.

starlite

thanks again for the insight. this reading was basically on overall outlook on us as, a future one. i really don't feel that we are currently in the 4 wands stablility stage, for instance. we don't know each other well. but, this can become so in time. i may also change my mind in the future and decide that 'I' am the one who doesn't want to date him. it's just that over the past several months, i've gotten readings about this guy (i know, too much) and they all have had very positive outlooks. the hermit as him does make sense as someone who thinks carefully about entering into relationships. he got really hurt before. plus, he has other issues going on his life. one thing has been right so far, we did reconnect. we shall see.

also, i just want to add about the 10 cups. in one reading a few months ago, the hierophant came up around relationships and my reader's interpretation was that i'll marry at some point. and for ha-ha's and maybe a bit rhetorically, i asked will it be with this guy? - the 10 cups along with 6 wands appeared.

now, there's no way to know at this point if that will ever happen, but it's kind of funny. aside from this i have always saw the 10 cups as a happy ending.

caridwen

starlite said:
are there specific cards that pertain to just love or just friendship? i've heard that wands are usually about friendship. would you say pulling the 4 wands, 3 cups, 6 cups, and 10 cups (as an outcome) would pertain more to love or friendship if the question asked was around potential love relationship, even if there were no other cups, such as the ace, 2, or lovers? also, if there are no majors, does this mean it's not a significant relationship?

i have come across people who say that certain cards indicate love. i guess it all comes down to the situation at hand and intuition to determine.

any thoughts?

This is such a tricky one because pentacles show physical, down to earth development in a relationship for example which is necessary for any love to grow and develop.

It's like the parable of the seed:

The sower went out to sow his seed; and as he sowed, some fell beside the road; and it was trampled under foot, and the birds of the air ate it up. And other seed fell on rocky soil, and as soon as it grew up, it withered away, because it had no moisture. And other seed fell among the thorns; and the thorns grew up with it, and choked it out. And other seed fell into the good soil, and grew up up, and produced a crop a hundred times as great.

If you look at love as a seed, say the Ace of Cups, any manner of variables make it either grow strong and lasting or wither and die. A seed needs a certain amount of care, moisture, soil etc in order for it to grow and then it must be tended, pruned if necessary and protected from the elements in order for it to thrive.

starlite

i think this basically shows that there IS potential for growth. we need to get to really know each first before anything is grounded. if we do develop further, perhaps pentacles will appear. i can tell you that when i've read myself about this guy, the most common card that has appeared is the 10 pentacles. thanks.