Gardener's 8 Types Of Intelligence - Poll

Your Intelligence Strength?

• Linguistic intelligence ("word smart")

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Logical-mathematical intelligence ("number/reasoning smart")

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Spatial intelligence ("picture smart")

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • Bodily-Kinesthetic intelligence ("body smart")

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Musical intelligence ("music smart")

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Interpersonal intelligence ("people smart")

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Intrapersonal intelligence ("self smart")

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Naturalist intelligence ("nature smart")

Votes: 19 20.9%

• Total voters

KhonsuMes

By gregory's test:

Musical: 5.57
Language: 4.0
Social: 3.86
Self: 3.71
Nature: 3.29
Logic/Math: 2.57
Spatial: 2.29
Body Movement: 2.14

Interesting, the other test put the top three as Spatial, Intrapersonal, then Musical.

Does anyone find it at least a little strange to suppose that a text-based questionnaire would be accurate in examining spatial, musical, or body movement intelligence? Though I get that the goal is to use these modalities as ways to improve general learning and reading skills.
Wouldnt it be kind of fun to do a whole day of different kinds of stuff and then think about the results?

gregory

Why I think both these tests (and others) cannot really work is that they depend on YOUR opinion of yourself. You get to say what you prefer and so on. I could easily answer in such a way that it would give me very odd results. More to the point, I am LIKELY to answer in ways that reflect who I WISH I could be, if you see what I mean.

Glass Owl

gregory said:
Why I think both these tests (and others) cannot really work is that they depend on YOUR opinion of yourself. You get to say what you prefer and so on. I could easily answer in such a way that it would give me very odd results. More to the point, I am LIKELY to answer in ways that reflect who I WISH I could be, if you see what I mean.
That is the tricky aspect of tests like these. It is easy to caught up in answering how you *think* you should answer or answering how you may have responded in the past. Who we are at the present, as well as our opinions of ourselves, is subject to change based on various factors so that affects these things too.

KhonsuMes

gregory said:

Really good point. Our wished-self-image, and our answers to polls are both going to be issues in getting to a 'real' picture. This kind of thing drives Sociologists and Anthropologists nuts.

And then there is the Dunning-Kruger Effect to take into account.

Still. The idea of different modes of intelligence is really interesting, and attempting to characterize a group like Tarot people is at least worth the shot! I'll be looking at cards and thinking to myself, now am I focusing on this card spatially?, musically?, analytically? naturalistically?
I believe those kinds of questions can help deepen interpretations, by perhaps exposing the constantly shifting percept/concept triggers that lead to them.

gregory

Oh dear. I feel intelligence coming on. I think I'll go and have a little lie down... :D

KhonsuMes

Tea, tea is good..

Aerin

I took gregory's test.

1. Logic/ maths (and I see they have included arithmetic in there in the test I took, and it is quite possible to LOVE maths and logic and pattern and HATE arithmetic)
2. Linguistic
3. Musical

and lingering down there at the bottom is spatial.

I'm not sure about Gardner myself, except that it is a fun way to value difference. I'm not sure about the dimensions, or the definitions of each one, or the measures in the tests if it comes to that. There seem to be rather a lot and I'm not convinced they are independent, or complete. But then the term "intelligence" itself is also contraversial.

Existential intelligence has also been proposed.

Richard

My Gregory score:

Musical - 4.87
Logic/math - 4.57
Spatial - 4.57
Language - 4.14
Self - 3.86
Body Movement - 3.57
Sicial - 3.57
Nature - 3.14

Glass Owl

KhonsuMes said:
I'll be looking at cards and thinking to myself, now am I focusing on this card spatially?, musically?, analytically? naturalistically?
I believe those kinds of questions can help deepen interpretations, by perhaps exposing the constantly shifting percept/concept triggers that lead to them.
Tarot exercises/readings using the various intelligence types may be good for the new Experimentsl Techniques forum.

Fly My Pretty

My score from Gregory's test:

Musical: 4.14
Nature: 3.86
Language: 3.29
Social: 3.29
Self: 2.71
Body Movement: 2.43
Spatial: 2.29
Logic/Math: 1.57

But on the okcupid test I scored logical hmmm.