Getting them to leave

Michelle

I read for a lady in my home today....and she wouldn't leave! I know she is a lonely lady who lives alone, but she was here for 2 hours. I tried to give subtle hints for her to leave, like blowing out the candle, putting my cards away, I even got up and put my tea mug in the dishwasher. At this point she asks for another cup of tea!

I proceeded to kindly tell her that I truly enjoyed reading her, and talking with her, but I had other things to do. I felt rude, but geez!

Is there a better way to handle this in the future?

Thank you:).

Namaste,
Michelle

Grizabella

Meet her in a public place next time. That way when the reading is over, you can just get up and leave, telling her you have another appointment.

I guess you could tell her you have another sitter coming when you're reading at home, but then she'd probably want to hang around till the other sitter appeared----only they never would. :rolleyes:

If you want to read at home, you'll probably just have to learn to say, "I've really enjoyed reading for you but I can't give you any more of my time right now. I look forward to seeing you again. I recommend only having readings once a month (or whatever you choose) so give me a call then and we'll schedule you a time." Then smilingly take her arm to help her up and steer her toward the door.

Diorbhail

Michelle, I can sympathise with you. I find this to be a problem also, especially if I have read at home but even in the shop where I sometimes do readings. Obviously if I have another client waiting then that's easy. Sometimes I feel that the after chat has lasted almost as long as the reading! I guess we have to learn to be firm but I do find this difficult!

floracove

Ok, this is something I've had to learn, but it has come from dealing a very long time with being polite and patience with others, since I really hate to offend or hurt someone's feelings.

First, if there's folks coming to your house, and you don't want them there to begin with, either you do not open the door or if you choose to answer the door, do not let them past the threshold, in other words, you go outside, that way they are not inside your home and then you have to figure out how to get them out.
(of course, this is more than likely for solicitors who won't be getting a reading anyway.)
And if these include those who like to hand off pamphlets and other text info, just tell them that there's no need for them to leave their info, it will do someone else some better use, I'm sure, but for me, someone's killed a tree unnecessarily and I'm not interested, so your wasting not only time, but your money as well.
still they try, tell them no, and do not take it.
Start walking them towards their vehicle, they will follow, then say bu-bye!

Actually, with most of these folks, once you've told them you aren't interested, they seem to spread the word and no one else shows up for such...

Now, for someone you've invited inside, for readings, I've never really ran into anyone who i wanted to get up and leave, however, most of my querants have been family members, friends or someone who knew someone else.

After a reading we talk, let them ask questions, answer them the best I can and then tell them this is all I see for them in the cards and then ask in a round about way if they haven't already indicated so, if they are satisfied with the reading. If so, up the cards come and back in their stack they go.

Reading over, chit chat a bit and then everyone's gone.

Of course, I think if you are charging for a reading that if someone's gonna sit around because they are bored or lonely (bless their hearts), then just simply tell them you charge such and such amount for your time and you will have to charge them for whatever time they plan to stay for your services.
That should either have them grabbing their purse or wallet to leave or pay you more for your time.

Of course, I may be more apt to say, ummm, well, i have things to do, so we'll see each other later, have a nice day, as they scoot out the door.

sometimes, it may not be so easy to be pushy, but sometimes it is a task we must take in hand, regardless of the situation. If you are in control of the surroundings, you have the control to either let some in or keep some out as well as hurry some along when needed.

*anyway, those are my thoughts on the subject*

Umbrae

1) NEVER read in you home.

2) always use a timer

3) when time is up, say "I'm sorry, but I have to get ready for my next client..."

tmgrl2

Umbrae said:

2) always use a timer

3) when time is up, say "I'm sorry, but I have to get ready for my next client..."

LOL....I agree with Umbrae here except on the first item!

I usually read in my home office.

I have an hourglass (one for half hour, one for hour, one for fifteen minutes.

My home readings are usually an hour. As we near the end of the sand, I start to summarize, close up, ask if they have written down what they wish to remember.

If I see they are going to not pick up on these clues...I tell them, that I need to close our reading, since I have another sitter coming, and I like to respect their privacy since they enter the same way.

I say..you can understand...even if you don't know this person, they will want the same courtesy I have given you...privacy.

(Obviously this doesn't hold when you read in a cafe or bar or fair, but, in these places, it is obvious others are waiting.

I sometimes choose to give the sitter more time...because the reading is heavy, the exchange between us is not really finished....that's my choice though.

When my husband was able to do it, he would pick up his phone upstairs in the bedroom and call down to me, and I would act as though it was my next client (asking if I was ready for her/him). That always worked.

You could pre-arrange with someone to call you and then act as if you need to act on whatever was said (in pretend) but your sitter doesn't know that.

If all else fails. I do this:

"I'm sorry. I'm going to have to walk you out. I have ...

another appointment (doctor's appointment? and I even start to put things in my car)

another client.

With practice you get better at this.

My therapist, has a whole host of clues...I recognize them and respect them.

He pulls out his calendar and opens it to look for our next date.

Good luck! Just takes some practice.

By the way, I love using these lovely wooden hourglasses I bought. No noisy timer to go off...just the passage of time by falling sand.

terri

Baroli

Umbrae said:

2) always use a timer

The only time I read at home is when I know the person very well, has been a friend of mine for long time and it is outside on the balcony. Strangers get a reading at the park across the street (in summer only, freeze your butt off there today :laugh:) in the Gazebo. Very nice relaxing atmosphere.

I don't use a timer per se, I take off my wrist watch and put it on the table, or whatever I am using at the time, and occasionally glance and do say something to the effect that I have to get ready for my next client. Getting up sometimes and purposely bringing the conversation diplomatically to an end will work also.

Michelle

Solitaire* said:
If you want to read at home, you'll probably just have to learn to say, "I've really enjoyed reading for you but I can't give you any more of my time right now. I look forward to seeing you again. I recommend only having readings once a month (or whatever you choose) so give me a call then and we'll schedule you a time." Then smilingly take her arm to help her up and steer her toward the door.

This is pretty much what I ended up doing :).

Thank you, Solitaire* :heart:.

Michelle

Diorbhail said:
Michelle, I can sympathise with you. I find this to be a problem also, especially if I have read at home but even in the shop where I sometimes do readings. Obviously if I have another client waiting then that's easy. Sometimes I feel that the after chat has lasted almost as long as the reading! I guess we have to learn to be firm but I do find this difficult!

Diorbhail,

I have a hard time with being firm, also. Especially when you can tell you are probably the only conversation the client has had all day. I guess practice will help :).

Thank you :heart:

franniee

Michelle said:
Diorbhail,

I have a hard time with being firm, also. Especially when you can tell you are probably the only conversation the client has had all day. I guess practice will help :).

Thank you :heart:

Oh you and me both michelle! Looked like you did it right... but I guess next time you have to tell her that someone else is on their way. I liked that whole privacy part that Terri mentioned.

I have one client that keeps e-mailing me questions and said I could debit her credit card WT heck??? I ignored her this time because it was too odd. I don't really know what to say - I gave her an indepth reading already. Then she had more questions and more and more... why can't people respect boundaries - kills me!!