Giovanni the Baptist festivity Florence (collection of sources)

Rosanne

Re read my notes Huck and it was MARS not Mercury and Lorenzo was 18years old- 1467.
But I also note a winged Mercury Helmet from Kent on the Young Lorenzo Medici Years- will go back and check.

Huck

1467 was a Florentine war and Lorenzo had been a hero in it in 1466, when he saved his father. Perhaps the honor for Lorenzo relates to this occasion.

Rosanne

OK- The winged Mercury helmet was apparently on a a very large painting(not fresco) about Lorenzo's Triumph Joust in 1469 and was at the Palazzo Medici in 1492. I have no idea where it is or whether it still exists. ~Rosanne

Rosanne

From All the World's a Stage Vol 1 Weich/Munshower. Florence 1440- 1506 cite in dissertation by Tooby
Cities sometimes identified (often erroneously) churches dedicated to their patron saint with pagan temples. According to Chrétien, the ruling Guelph party favored San Giovanni because of his association with Florence’s Roman origins, and Florentines believed that the eleventh century Baptistery of San Giovanni had once been a pagan temple dedicated to the Roman war god, Mars. Florentine historian Vincenzo Borghini (1515-1580) wrote in the sixteenth century that the Baptistery was originally built as a temple to Mars, part of the proliferations of these temples in the provinces during the time of the Emperor Augustus, who erected the Temple of Mars Ultor in Rome
to commemorate his victory over Mark Anthony and the assassins of Julius Caesar.
Borghini illustrated a reconstruction of the old temple in his treatise on the Roman origins of Florence, believing that the Christians had later converted the temple into a church, just as had been done in Rome to the Pantheon.

Huck

The helmet for the tournament success for Lorenzo looks likely, he got a few things there.

The Mars-Statue was regarded as very important for the development of the city for superstitious reasons (the baptisterium is on the place of the Mars-temple or so). It seems, that it got lost in 1333, when the Arno had too much water.