Got the Deviant Moon tarot deck in today.. Having problems.

Zombie

Some of these are not labeled and some I can figure out with the images and symbols. Some I cannot. Overall the deck is beautiful and I am just excited to use it. Is there a list online labeling all the cards??

agno3

Do you have a book that came with the deck?

XIII is Death

All the other Majors are labeled.

Using google image search for deviant moon deck brought up some nice pictures.

The roman numerals on the top of the card say what number it is. You will have to look at the picture to find the suit.

JenWt43

The roman numerals on the top of the card say what number it is. You will have to look at the picture to find the suit.

Right, for instance, there will be a VIII on an image with a lot of pentacles - count them and they will add up to eight, etc.

EyeAmEye

Border color also tells you the suit:

Blue - Cups
Red - Swords
Black - Pentacles
Green - Wands

Of course, the majors also have these colors, but they are labeled, so they are easy to identify (save for the aforementioned Death card with no label).

So, if you draw a card with a green border, no label and roman numeral "II" on the top, that is the Two of Wands. Blue, no label and "IV" would be Four of Cups, etc.

This was my first and still favorite deck, btw. Very easy to read with once you get used to it.

Zombie

Thanks everyone. Ive been working with them since yesterday. I love the pictures but Im not feeling attached to them like I am with the Zombie Tarot.

VioletEye

Border color also tells you the suit:

Blue - Cups
Red - Swords
Black - Pentacles
Green - Wands

Of course, the majors also have these colors, but they are labeled, so they are easy to identify (save for the aforementioned Death card with no label).

hey, i never noticed that!
so, for the major arcana, does the border color correspond with the card's element? (blue = water, red = air, etc.)

EyeAmEye

hey, i never noticed that!
so, for the major arcana, does the border color correspond with the card's element? (blue = water, red = air, etc.)

Good question, I'm not sure. Some of the majors also have a purple border.

Fool - Green
Magician - Purple
High Priestess - Black
Empress - Purple
Emperor - Blue
Hierophant - Green
Lovers - Red
Chariot - Blue
Strength - Red
Hermit - Blue
Wheel Of Fortune - Black
Justice - Red
Hanged Man - Green
Death - Black
Temperance - Purple
Devil - Black
Tower - Black
Star - Blue
Moon - Black
Sun - Red
Judgment - Black
World - Green

VioletEye

hmmm, well, they don't seem to be related - although the elements associated with each card appear to be different depending on who you ask, ha!
here is one list of attributes i found:

fire:
Emperor
Strength
Wheel of Fortune
Temperance
Tower
Sun

earth:
Empress
Hierophant
Hermit
Devil
World

air:
Fool
Magician
Lovers
Justice
Star

water:
High Priestess
Chariot
Hanged Man
Death
Moon
Judgment

but then again, the major arcana are sometimes designated as being of the fifth element: ether. perhaps this is where the purple comes in...

anyway, it would be interesting to know if the border colors were chosen using some kind of system. thanks for pointing this out, i have my deck out and am pondering this new detail!

jpdj0210

Thanks everyone. Ive been working with them since yesterday. I love the pictures but Im not feeling attached to them like I am with the Zombie Tarot.

I really love this deck, but it is slightly quirky and certainly has it's own ideas.
I had to learn to look at the different aspects of the cards to see the fluidity of it all. This deck is all about the psyche, so I focused on bringing the characters to life by imaginging what they might be up to. After all, most of the people pictured look like they might be hiding something or have a hidden motive. Don't forget to notice that everyone has their moon mask but also their blue face underneath. Which is the real face? It's something to ponder and makes them a little more multi-faceted.

The other thing I love about this deck is that it basically inhabits its own little world. There's not just water, fire, wind, earth.....there's a story behind waiting for you to discover and make your own. IE.....the swords and their courts represent the royalty/rulers of the land, the pentacles are the ones who run and work at the factory pictured in the background of many of the cards, the wands are the woodland folk who live in the forest, and then the cups seem to be the coastal land where a tribe of arabian influenced beings live.
These different cultures and personalities represented here bring so many stories to my mind. And of course they're my own since everyone will think of something different when you look at the cards. I find it really gets my creativity and free thinking going.

JenWt43

I really love this deck, but it is slightly quirky and certainly has it's own ideas.
I had to learn to look at the different aspects of the cards to see the fluidity of it all. This deck is all about the psyche, so I focused on bringing the characters to life by imaginging what they might be up to. After all, most of the people pictured look like they might be hiding something or have a hidden motive. Don't forget to notice that everyone has their moon mask but also their blue face underneath. Which is the real face? It's something to ponder and makes them a little more multi-faceted.

The other thing I love about this deck is that it basically inhabits its own little world. There's not just water, fire, wind, earth.....there's a story behind waiting for you to discover and make your own. IE.....the swords and their courts represent the royalty/rulers of the land, the pentacles are the ones who run and work at the factory pictured in the background of many of the cards, the wands are the woodland folk who live in the forest, and then the cups seem to be the coastal land where a tribe of arabian influenced beings live.
These different cultures and personalities represented here bring so many stories to my mind. And of course they're my own since everyone will think of something different when you look at the cards. I find it really gets my creativity and free thinking going.

Wow, I like what you have done there! :) I'm looking forward to the book being released but, of course, it shouldn't change what you have already come up with!