Grateful Dead and Tarot

Dr.Girlfriend

This is a real longshot but thought I'd try. Are there any other combo Grateful Dead/Tarot aficionados out there? While listening to my ipod(mostly Grateful Dead) on my daily walks, and thinking about tarot, I naturally started thinking about which Grateful Dead songs go well with different cards, like:

He's Gone: Death
(or, less obviously, Stella Blue: "there's nothing you can hold, for very long"
The Wheel: Wheel of Fortune
Candyman: the Devil
Eyes of the World: The World
Sugar Magnolia: The Empress
Dark Star: The High Priestess
Ripple: The Hanged Man (or maybe Crazy Fingers)
Cassidy: The Sun

Just for starters. So many possibilities (78 cards, over 200 songs). Anyone out there want to jump in?

mary ventura

Sure, I'll jump in, here are a couple

Catfish John - 6 of cups
Casey Jones - The Devil

(I'll think of some more while I'm walking my dog)

ETA: Oh, couple more:

The Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion: 3 of Cups
Dire Wolf - 9 of Swords
New Speedway Boogie - 9 of Wands

Mary V

direwolf336

Hmmmm, thats very cool....What about China Cat Sunflower.....I wonder what card that would relate to...I'll have to sit down and check this out..BTW, just got the newest dead CD....Very cool...

direwolf336

Of course Friend of the Devil is a no brainer....Listening to that right now actually..

Grizabella

Wow, what a great thread!

We lived on a main street in Springfield, Oregon for awhile, just down the street from where the Dead had a concert every year and I just loved it. There were Deadheads all over the place! I was sorry when they stopped having the concerts after Jerry Garcia died.

I hang my head in shame, though, that I wasn't fan enough of the Dead to be able to contribute anything else to this thread. :rolleyes:

mary ventura

The Monkey and the Engineer: The Chariot

Mary V

PS:
Griz, It's never too late to become a fan ;)

Grizabella

Well, when I hear their music and someone points out to me who it's by, then I realize I'm a fan and always was. It's just that they came along past the time when I was so into music that I could tell you who did each and every song on the radio. Same with Lynyrd Skynyrd. I love him, too.

direwolf336

"Same with Lynyrd Skynyrd. I love him, too."

Yeah......"he's" great:>

Dr.Girlfriend

Oh, I'm so happy you guys have responded!!
Do any of you have Box of Rain - a big book of Robt Hunter's lyrics. I'm going to look thru it and come up with more.
I'll think of songs, like Tennessee Jed, then think - which card would that fit?
I've never heard of Catfish John or The Monkey and the Engineer.

I just saw The Dead 2 nights ago, they are on tour and they played in L.A. where I live. Mary - they played New Speedway Boogie, along with Scarlet/Fire and Dark Star and Wharf Rat. I'm still vibrating with the music.
And btw, every show on this tour is available to download on the website (dead.net I think).
There must be a card that would fit great with Fire on the Mountain. It hasn't clicked for me yet.
I'm going to check out all the ones you guys mentioned and I'll post more, too. Yeay! My goal is nothing less than 78 cards, 78 GD tunes!!