Hanged Man rx as a (jungian) shadow of hatred

Louis Cyphre

Hi, I got the Hanged man rx representing my (jungian) shadow of hatred in the Star of Discovery Spred from the book "Tarot Shadow Work".

The author of the book says it doesn´t matter if the card appears reversed,
that only means it´s important, a card to pay attention.

Anyway I interpret it as that I hate bullies who prey on the weak
and use them as scapegoats of the crap they take in their life.
Also, I hate arrogant and overconfident people who thinks little of everyone else.

What do you think of the meaning of Hanged Man rx as a shadow ?

Thirteen

Anyway I interpret it as that I hate bullies who prey on the weak
and use them as scapegoats of the crap they take in their life.
Also, I hate arrogant and overconfident people who thinks little of everyone else.

What do you think of the meaning of Hanged Man rx as a shadow ?
Could you explain your reasoning for why you think these things from that card? And exactly what does Jungian shadow of Hatred mean? Is it what you hate but don't know that you hate it?

LeFou

Shadow comes whenever we have an imbalance (one-sided attitude) in consciousness. Hatred would be an extreme example. If we hate something, it means that on some level, we have some of that energy in -us- which we disavow and project onto others. (The irony is that projection is scapegoating in a sense.)

Scapegoat is one traditional meaning for Hanged Man. So I can see that (and its opposite, the bully or a mob mentality).

Thirteen

This Jungian shadow seems a bad thing (imbalance), yet your hatred of mob violence a good thing (dislike of extreme imbalance there). So your interpretation doesn't strike me as quite on the money as it makes your hatred a favorable thing that, far from scapegoating, wants to keep people from doing such--maintain balance and reason.

The other problem I see in your interp is that the Hanged Man is usually a willing sacrifice. Though a mob and scapegoating may be involved, his hands are usually drawn free, and he seems to have taken on the role for the greater good, not been forced into it. That was the original meaning of scapegoat, a person who freely took on magical ills, freeing everyone of them when he died. He was usually treated with honor, like a King--hence the idea of the sacrificial king.

Rx would imply, to me, someone who refuses to sacrifice or see things in new ways. If you hate this, then perhaps the message is that you need to be more forgiving of such people. Not everyone can willingly sacrifice for higher ideals as, perhaps, you can or as you expect.

That is how I would read it as "shadow"--an imbalance in you.

nisaba

Wow. Thirteen.

I bow and scrape yet again, humbly at your feet.

JoyousGirl

Being narrow minded? (If he's hanging upside down he's looking at things from a different perspective).

Resentful - you may tend to hold on to things you are best to let go of (and this is a very common shadow, methinks).

His halo in reverse is his mental activity which is not "grounded" with the common folk, but has risen above them - maybe it's an ego thing? How is your ego? We've all got one and it tends to think it's better than us! It only keeps us alive so it can live...

Finally, Odin poked out his eye to gain wisdom - and we've got to be prepared to suffer and give up things or a way of life in some way (no pain, no gain).

caridwen

This is a really interesting question:)

Without wishing to be a pedant, Jung had two shadows; the archetype or the personal. I'm guessing this is the Personal as that would make sense in this context:D

An archetypal Shadow is the collective idea of 'bad' or 'evil' such as the Devil (and if you see Nietzsche here you're spot on).

The Personal Shadow is the dregs of our unconscious like a tar filter on a cigarette. It is primordial. We can look at the (Jungian) personality like the sea, at the bottom are those weird creatures with huge eyes that never see the light of day. Only rarely do we catch a glimpse of them and there are many of which we are not aware. When we do examine some of them they can be traced back to the time of dinosaurs like the Frilly Shark and some of them look terrifying like the Viperfish or Fangtooth fish.

So the Shadow is all the bad stuff, all that gunk we try to deny which Freud explained in 'projection' where we project onto others what we most dislike in ourselves. A collective shadow was cast on the Jews who were dehumanised by the Nazis and came to represent everything hated and feared in society. (It seems to be done to a lesser extent in the West with Islam and vice versa).

The more we divide and splinter ourselves from our shadow side, the more it is denied and repressed, the more destructive it becomes. The Shadow is natural and part of being human and it is crucial to Jungian analysis to accept and assimilate it into the main personality nexus. Good things to come from the Shadow are creativity and spirituality but in order to release this we must become responsible for our shadow sides.

It's all fascinating stuff:D How I would initially interpret the reversed Hanged Man is under the auspices of what I most dislike about others or that part of my shadow I project onto others. I'm not sure what this means to you but what do you most despise? Then I would write it down and apply it to the Hanged Man. A negative aspect of the Hanged Man may be as a traitor as the way he is depicted with he one foot bound (pittura infamante) and it is in searching for those aspects within yourself that you will find your key to its meaning. This may be difficult because these aspects (complexes) are forcibly repressed, pushed down deep in the primordial sea of the unconscious with their sharp fangs and weird survival mechanisms. Coming to terms with your Shadow may involve some Shadow Boxing, allowing it to express itself at times and facing it down at others.

Louis Cyphre

Rx would imply, to me, someone who refuses to sacrifice or see things in new ways. If you hate this, then perhaps the message is that you need to be more forgiving of such people. Not everyone can willingly sacrifice for higher ideals as, perhaps, you can or as you expect.

That is how I would read it as "shadow"--an imbalance in you.

Hmm, that clicked on me.

I´ll ask the shadow about that in meditation.
If "he" hates uncommitted people.

Being narrow minded? (If he's hanging upside down he's looking at things from a different perspective).

Resentful - you may tend to hold on to things you are best to let go of (and this is a very common shadow, methinks).

His halo in reverse is his mental activity which is not "grounded" with the common folk, but has risen above them - maybe it's an ego thing? How is your ego?

Yes, I´m resentful.

Mmm... I´m not prideful, I rather feel inferior about myself.
Maybe my shadow is full of himself.

Without wishing to be a pedant, Jung had two shadows; the archetype or the personal. I'm guessing this is the Personal as that would make sense in this context:D

Don´t worry, it´s good to be reminded of all this stuff.
I like to have informative people around me, info is important to win in whatever we do !

I'm not sure what this means to you but what do you most despise?

Bullies (people who abuse physically/verbally on others).

caridwen

Bullies (people who abuse physically/verbally on others).

The only way I can see this applying to the Hanged Man reversed is someone who humiliates people or 'hangs them out to dry'. This is stuff you're going to despise in yourself and project onto others. You may be in denial. It's difficult stuff.

Louis Cyphre

The only way I can see this applying to the Hanged Man reversed is someone who humiliates people or 'hangs them out to dry'. This is stuff you're going to despise in yourself and project onto others. You may be in denial. It's difficult stuff.

I was bullied in highschool,
maybe deep down I wanted to get revenge on them but couldn´t
because I was weak and scared.