Harry Potter Tarot

Arnnaria

Updated the major list due to some discussion. If I move Hermione to Strength, can I move Dobby knocking down Lucius to Justice? I just love that scene. Dobby is such a powerful force that he needs to be on a major someplace.

Also, where does Ronald Weasley go if I make Harry "The Fool"?

Finally, what about Fred and George Weasley being the Lovers... they are twins. I can't just think of a "lover-esque" situation of them being in.

augursWell

Hermione makes a great Strength card. Wasn't there a scene in one of the movies where she was facing a Troll? There's a Strength card.

X. Wheel of Fortune: could also be the Quidditch arena.

Ministry of Magic: maybe Justice as that is a card of balance and truth.

I really think Dumbledore makes the best Hierophant.

Here's a poke at suit assignments:
Swords - intellectual - air - Ravenclaw - flys in the air
Wands - spirit - fire - Griffendore - a creature of myth
Cups - emotion/community - water - Hufflepuff - what is that anyway?? :)
Coins - matter/perpetuation - earth - Slytherin - slithers on the ground

augursWell

Arnnaria said:
Finally, what about Fred and George Weasley being the Lovers... they are twins. I can't just think of a "lover-esque" situation of them being in.
Fred and George might work as the SUN since there are references to twins in the SUN card in some decks.

augursWell

One last suggestion before i head off to bed -- the scene at the end of the Chamber of Secrets movie where Fawkes is flying out of the chamber carrying virtually everyone. This is the only scene that I know so far that illustrates a calling up or rising up of souls, which is -- Last Judgement. ??

Ulfdis

Another suggestion: A Gringotts Goblin would make a nice, leering figure for the 4 of Pentacles.

And a question: Would such a deck be done in a photo-realistic style (like screen shots from the movies) or done in an artistic style similar to Mary Grandpre's illustrations for the books and covers? My preference is for Ms. Grandpre's artwork, but that could be because I like the books more than the movies.

I love the idea of Fred and George as the Sun, by the way!

HudsonGray

Hufflepuff is a British/European badger, a creature of the earth.

I actually sort of see the Weasley twins as Magicians on several levels--they work with what they have and are VERY good at it and at being desceptive when need be. Charismatic, only those in positions of power are upset with them. This was shown in the books far more than in the movies, but they seem to fit here almost better than the Sun card.

Where to put Ron? He should be in the majors, but I don't know where, the other cards seem more obvious choices.

Could the Sun be the perfect balance of the triad (Harry, Hermione & Ron) when they're working together at their best?

augursWell

Another suggestion for the HERMIT. Harry's father. The Hermit is often connected with Prudence but also with the light of guidance in the wilderness. In a sense Harry's father is in a wilderness since he is dead but he also provides guidance to Harry, at least in spirit. Since both the STAR and HERMIT are a type of guidance I think it fits nicely that Harry's parents are both guides in the form of Star and Hermit.

Stregaverde

Hagrid as the Hermit, clearly. Walking into the Forbidden Forest with a lantern and Fang. :)

I see the Dementors in the 9 or 10 of Swords, honestly, not in the Majors. They are too one-sided, not enough room for interpretation in the Majors.

Five and seven of wands as Quidditch matches!

I like Hermione as the High Priestess, much more than Trelawney, who is basically a flake. I can't see the High Priestess symbolized by someone so ungrounded.

Death card--Sirius going through the Veil? After all, we aren't sure that he's dead, now, are we???? But it's definitely a change, a transition, a big one!

I agree with a young Harry as the Fool, his parents as the Lovers, but instead of the Star, I'd like to see Lily as Strength. She exemplifies tremendous courage to me. Not sure about the imagery, though--her defending Harry against Voldemort would be too limiting on the card. Something more serene is called for. Perhaps a young Lily, studying, and petting the monster in the lake?

Dumbledore is definitely the Hierophant! I like Snape as the Chariot. Sybil Trelawney as the Moon? Fudge as the Emperor? I understand what some folks are saying about Voldemort as the Devil, but he fits, he really does. People are forced to make a choice with him--fight on the side of good, and risk death and pain, or give in and go with him, even though he is evil.

I like Firenze as Temperance, mainly because I like his world view. He'd also be a possibility for the Moon. The Wizamgot (sp) as Justice. As others have mentioned, the scene from the end of Chamber would make a great Judgement, and the Weasely twins would be wonderful as the Magician.

It's a little unorthodox, but I like the Whomping Willow as the Tower.

Wheel? World? Star? Sun? Where's Ron? These are things to ponder.

augursWell

I've been thinking some more about this and it occurs to me that there is really no need to assign the Hogwarts Houses to any particular suit. We have the wands as wands, swords as swords, cauldrons or goblets as cups, and gringots coins as pentacles. Why worry about which of those is Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw or whatever?

I think the real fun would be to assign members of each house to the Court cards. Some of the characters people are mentioning for Major cards might go better in the Court cards.

HudsonGray

But shifting people to the court cards just may have to wait till the entire series has been written. She brings in new characters and it'd be a shame to have someone perfect from, say, book #7 miss out if the position was filled from book #4's characters. I don't think Rowling is through introducing new people yet.

Of course if the deck waits till the last book is published, there's no problem.