Hate this deck...

Kiama

Well, I purchased the Haindl Tarot deck yesterday, and must say that I cannot stand it. I hate the artwork, and I can't get used to all those strange and horrifying creatures that adorn the cards. I don't understand most of the cards, and don't like the Minors.

But it's a classic deck, so is a must for a collector.

I'm wondering though, cuz I heard that loads of you like this deck lots... How do you work it out? What do you think?

Kiama

Kaz

Well, I don't have the deck, but I looked it up here in the list, saw 6 cards.
It's surrealistic, earthlike colors, I like the blending of the images with the surroundings, I like the cards I saw. Maybe it's just taste, it's a deck I would buy if I was a collector, just for the pictures (based on the 6 here on the site). Reading with it, can't tell you.
I just liked what I saw.......
'Maybe it helps when you look at some other surealistic artists, Salvador Dali, Max Ernst, Juan Miro.
"Products" of those artists are based on: in dreams and in those moments that imagination rules above ratio, then associations and pictures will grow in the concious that are more important for/to existing than traditional subjects that are being used in art.

Send it over here Kiama if you hate it...

Kaz

truthsayer

is it possible you could return the deck and exchange it for one you like better or get your money back? i did this recently w/ a deck i didn't click w/. i do a lot of business at this store and other than the outer wrapping off, the deck was totally undamaged. i returned it the day after i bought it. i had no problems getting my money back.

Major Tom

Hurts me a bit when I hear someone I like as much as you say words like hate...but then I remember your age. :D

I bought the Sacred Circle and Spiral decks in the same mad moment and 'hated' both of them. After I'd lived in the same house with them a few weeks I still hated Sacred Circle and 'fell in love with' the Sprial. Go figure!

Give it a bit of time before you return it or trade it or give it away. The deck might just be a bit uncomfortable with you too. }> Give it a chance to speak.

jmd

I concur with Major Tom!... don't hate it, just withold judgement, seek to understand it, and give it time... though I must admit that even after six odd years of owning it, it has certainly not become part of any of my favourite 20 decks!

I first studied it because I had done some correlations between the minor arcana and the I Ching, and I thought it interesting to look into what somebody else had done. With regards to the various cultural overtones, I think the authors/illustrators have done a brilliant job... just not one which I find personally appealing.

Unlike you, I definitely DO NOT think of it in any shape or form a 'classic' deck, just as a deck which has been around for a (relatively still short) while... as such, it may be a must for a collector as an addition. But don't feel you need to add all the ones which have been around to your collection. A beautiful deck which is definitely a must for a collector is the S. Dali deck... though it isn't one I would want to use other than as an artistic addition to my Tarot treasure chest, for its cost as well as because of its depictions...

deso

I know your feelings, Kiama - I felt the same way when I got them ..... didn't dislike them but didn't like them either...... hmmmm...... Thankfully, I also bought the two volumes that went with them. Written by Rachel Pollack - after reading the books, okayyyyyy, after SKIMMING the books, I fell in love with the cards (and still do).
Hope this helps!!!!

Kiama

Well, I definitely am not gonna give up on it that easily, so don't worry on that count Major Tom and a couple of others... I was aiming to buy the two volumes about it by Rachel Pollock soon to see if once I knew what the cards were going on about, I could use it moreproductively. And I am certainly not returning it. I might as well keep it in my collection, after all, something made me buy it.

Ah well, as with so many things in life, with Tarot it is the same: Some you win, some you lose...

Kiama

Greenman

i hope you do get the Pollack books, because i'm interested in returning to this thread in a couple of months and seeing what your opinion is then. even if you still don't like them, i think your relationship with the tarot will be stronger for having experienced something from the 'other side' of your point of view.
i personally find this deck to be very powerful, and i love it!

catlin

Hi,

Haindl has a very peculiar artwork. I am no fan of surrealistic stuff but I like some of his ideas behind his decks ( I got all of him, twice the Haindl tarot cards, the rune cards and the Bach remedy cards) and of course the books by Rachel Pollack.

At first I did not like his deck either but that was in the time of my R/W period so the change from R/W to Haindl was too fast. If you have another deck in mind which you prefer then try to get it for the Haindl deck.

Andryh

I was really repelled by this deck at first...It was so strange! It sat on my shelf for quite awhile. I read with the deck finally, and had a really intense reading. After that, the deck began to "grow on me". Before you ship this one back, take it for a test drive. If you still don't like it, trade it in. It just may not be for you. If its not, there are lots and lots of decks out there. With a little perserverence, you'll find some that are your style. Here's wishing you many good readings.

Andryh