Have you found the 'One'.

Have you found the 'one'?

• Yes.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • No, but I am searching.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • No, I don't believe in the 'one'.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I believe you create the 'one' by using a deck and getting to know it really well.

Votes: 26 22.8%

• Total voters

Emily

I voted 'yes'.

I have found my 'one' after a lot of searching - For me finding the one deck that feels perfect for me was a great step forward in my tarot studies. Its a deck that when I hold it I instantly feel comfortable with it, I find that I may compare other decks to my 'one' - it doesn't stop me using other decks - I'm using the Tarot of the Old Path for the next 78 days/6 months maybe a year but it isn't my 'one' - but a deck that could grow into the role of being a very firm favourite.

Maybe I shouldn't have come in here - I'm really beginning to miss my Morgan Greer :( but I've promised myself that after using the Old Path in the One Deck Wonder Study my Morgan Greer will still be waiting for me.

jackdaw*

I voted no, there is no such thing as "the one". My Tarot of Prague comes very close, but it's not quite right - it's just a smidge too long and/or thick for me to hold it comfortably to shuffle in my preferred way, and some cards - like the Lovers, Justice and the Aces of Cups and Wands - leave me cold.

I think I'd said in a past thread somewhere down the line that my perfect deck would be a mix of my favourite cards from various decks. The Fool would be from the Universal Waite, the Magician from Robin Wood, the High Priestess from the Tarot of Prague, the Empress from the Tarot of Dreams (or maybe DruidCraft) ... and so on and so forth.

Put them all at the same size, about 1/8" to 1/4" shorter than Prague, on the same width, cardstock and finish as Prague, and a common back - something reversible, maybe like the Gilded. Give them lovely borders like those on the Fairytale, but colour-coded by suit or to match the colours of that particular card. It would make for one hell of a disjointed and even unharmonious deck, but it would be my "one".

QueenofPentacles

tarotbear

I didn't vote because I don't think there ever is 'one' deck; your times and tastes change along with your life and what you hated you now love and what you once thought was true and eternal you now despise!

In the gay world we sometimes ask is he 'Mr. Right' or is he 'Mr. Right Now'? Sure, some decks are easier to decipher than others. Some may give you an answer that seems easier to understand than others; but only 'one' deck for the rest of my life? NEVER! LOLOLOLOL!

Sophie

BlueLeaf - I loved what you wrote - relationship & tarot counselling all in one, very good!!!

I daresay if there was only one deck available, or only a limited choice, I would get along very well with that one. It would be a happy arranged marriage :D

But as things are, I think there are several possible "ones" in my life. I've only been doing tarot for 8 years, so it's too soon to tell, but on average, I would say I work with 2-3 decks at a time, though I might expand or contract with circumstance.

During my 5 years in the field, I worked with The Mythic Deck, which was my Chosen One, and the Robin Wood, which was an Arranged Match, but I got to know and be comfortable with both, and it was nice to get another point of view on a similar question (that's a cute way of putting I'd read twice to find out the same thing :D).

Now I work with other decks. I rarely return to the Robin Wood, but when I do, it feels like a comfy pair of slippers. But I still get the old flutter with the Mythic. I guess I always will...I still find things in that gawky, deceptively simple deck that I had not before. It is full of drama, comedy, and the echoes of Greece, the nation of my heart.

And yet...

I have other great loves. The Tarot of Prague was the first deck I bought when I came back from the field, and it was love at first sight. I love reading with it.

A year or so ago, I was introduced to the Tarot of Marseille by Diana (who else?) and it opened a world I hardly knew existed. Another One.

Then a few months ago, I picked up my first deck, which I had stopped reading with some years back (the Rider-Waite), because I was writing a book on a deck based primarily on it, and wah-boom, I realised what a great artefact & instrument of divination & dreaming it was!

Six months ago, I returned to another abandoned classic - the Thoth. More because people I liked on this forum raved about it (you know who you are!!). It was a timid approach at first. I have the large pack & it takes up a lot of room, though I love to see the details so large. But then I found the pocket Thoth - and had another coup de foudre! At last, a Thoth I can set up next to me on the breakfast table, without feeling I need to clear up the whole space, or bow down to it. I've had some a-ha moments with it, including a big one yesterday. Will our relationship last? Eh, who knows? It's great while it lasts ;)

And then there are all the others that captured my imagination & made my reading juices flow or gave me a thrill & strong meditative experiences, each in their own way. The Alchemical, the Röhrig, the Tarot de la Réa, the DruidCraft, the Secret Forest, the Baroque Bohemian Cats, the Ironwing, the New Orleans Voodoo, the Gothic Vampires, the Lunatic Tarot, ...

Bah, I am a Mediterranean. One is too few for me - we must be seduced & seduce all the time, though we are passionate & romantic & very faithful for as long as the honeymoon lasts...;)

PS - I voted for the arranged marriage, because there is a perversely sensible streak in me...

Cerulean

One thing about making my own oracles...cards...

...after I learned what I wanted, expressed it's in visual form, then I'm done with stage one.

I don't think I own a concept or ten thousand concepts.

I may borrow the learning for awhile.

But every moment, every look, every blink takes us into a different perspective--if I close my left eye, the perspective changes. If I close my right eye, there's another change. If I open both eyes, I see a greater whole. If remember to look with my third eye, or my heart, suddenly the form it takes is less important--it's the dialogue and connections that begin to bloom.

But I gather, study, release and sometimes keep a small segment of certain tarot bits. I've even settled on borrowing some for my short lifetime.

So just for me, getting other takes from books of the culture that other oracle or cards comes from can be very important. Because I know I'm very limited, very small in my comfort zones. For me to be too certain of what I think doesn't mean I'm good as a reader or translator of the images--it just makes me centered in what I know of myself.

I've found if a concept is important enough, it stays with me. For example, whenever I see the Knight of Pentacles, I know what it means to me. I've studied and designed that concept from my heart through my hands...and in my heart, I'm always young and running back to a garden, where my love is walking among the trees and earth.

That's a concept--just for me--that I'd like to keep for awhile.

But I also want to rejoice in how others see it, as well.

Hope that means something to someone--or is helpful in explaining what I think that I see from my silly perspective.

Cerulean

Logiatrix

My vote:
"I believe you create the 'one' by using a deck and getting to know it really well."

My 'one' for a long time now has been the Visconti Gold.
However, it's been easier and easier to put aside for the
Latest and Greatest, whatever that may be right now.

There is one oracle deck to which I seem to remain loyal,
that is the Healing with the Angels Oracle. Froud's Faeries
is also becoming a keeper, as well. They're both easy to
read, so I am able to appreciate the beautiful art.

As far as 'The One' tarot, though, I'm more likely to stay
loyal based on lots of work and usage, while aesthetics
remain secondary.
:)

earth mama

I just got a Morgan Greer deck a couple of weeks ago but i fell in love with it immediately. I clicked with it straight away and it makes so much sense to me. I still have a lot to learn but i think i'll be sticking with this one for a very long time.

Emeraldgirl

I have found the "One" at the moment it's the Gilded but that could change in a day/week/month/year. I don't know so at the moment I have a "one" maybe someday it will be different but for the moment it is it.

Genna

I don´t believe in "the one" in Tarot decks.Maybe the Rider-Waite,when all is said and done,but I love so many others so very much,and use them for different readings.I also like to let decks "rest" for a while.I don´t use the R-W right now,but it was (one of?) the first of the modern ones,so I like to see it as Grandmother of modern Tarot.
In Oracles I have found "the one";Froud´s Faeries´Oracle.

catlin

I have voted yes as I have started to appreciate my Legend Arthurian more and more.

Of course I don't stop collecting and reading with other decks but as the French say "On revient toujours à ses premieres amours" I get lots of information from my old and worn Legend which I don't get from other decks.