Headaches from tarot readings?

KnightOfTheCosmos

Hello! I've had an odd headache for the past 2 going on 3 days. It goes and comes back. If it persists, I'm definitely going to the doctor to check it out.

The strange thing is that this headache began right after I did an insightful tarot reading with my Deviant Moon deck. I felt like I truly connected to the cards and it was one of the first times where I really tried to read the cards intuitively, studied them intensely, and saw what stuck out to me. I have been trying to stray away from card meaning websites and things like that because I learn a lot more when I push those aside and just pay close attention to the cards. This time I noticed things I've never seen in the cards before. And right when I was really getting into the interpretations, this massive headache came out of nowhere. I drink a lot of water, and I've been getting a lot of rest.

This has been happening often. I will get a headache out of nowhere and it's different from headaches I've gotten before. It's more intense and in one area.

I know there could be a bunch of other (physical) reasons why this could be happening but this particular headache started right as I was really getting into interpreting the cards from my reading. I always ground myself before reading, by the way.

Can you actually get headaches from tarot readings? And, if so, how can I prevent that?

GotH

I'm curious if the intensity is on the right side of your head? This is where the intuitive part of your brain is based. Perhaps you are stimulating an area of your brain that you have not really worked out in the past and you are beginning to feel the effects of this. Just like muscles that get a good working out, they need some time to recover. I would give your intuitive thinking a little break then try it again after a couple of days. When I first started reading intuitively I wouldn't get headaches but I'd feel really warn out. This went away as I became "stronger."

I hope this is what you may be going through and nothing more serious.

KnightOfTheCosmos

I'm curious if the intensity is on the right side of your head?

No, actually. It's on my left side, and sometimes it'll shoot a bit down the left side of my neck. =/ Like I said, I'll definitely check it out at the doctor's this week, but it's just weird that this all started after that tarot reading. I do agree with what you said, though! Every muscle needs a break. But I actually didn't do a tarot reading in a while before Friday night (when the headache began) so it's strange.

Thank you! I'm sure everything will be fine. ^__^

AnemoneRosie

I came here to say essentially what GotH said: that there is a part of the brain that works specifically with intuition. I don't get intuition headaches (I've always been intuitive, as far as I can tell) but I do get tired. I used to be able to do 1-3 readings per day. Now I can do up to five but then really should have a nap.

Part of my particular brain specialness is headaches in areas of the brain that most people don't seem to utilise as much as I do. So for me the headache is linked to a part of my brain being far more active than most human brains are accustomed to. So I don't see why you couldn't get intuition headaches.

As mentioned, try not doing that for a few days, and see if that helps to eliminate the source of the problem.

DesertDream

I hear a lot of people get headaches when they first start indepth study. I agree about the intuitive muscle getting a work out. I had minor brief head or belly chrakra pain when touching my decks after doing a lot of readings but mostly i was drained and took a while longer than normal to recharge. I was a very intuitive person but i shut down most of it till coming back here and re oiling my gears. It will get better, always remember spiritual protection and who your connection is to on the other side.

Tigerangel

No, actually. It's on my left side, and sometimes it'll shoot a bit down the left side of my neck. =/ Like I said, I'll definitely check it out at the doctor's this week, but it's just weird that this all started after that tarot reading. I do agree with what you said, though! Every muscle needs a break. But I actually didn't do a tarot reading in a while before Friday night (when the headache began) so it's strange.

Thank you! I'm sure everything will be fine. ^__^

I have the same headache symptoms you have just described here, mine are related mostly to tension, but I have noticed that if I'm using cards that have a strong smell from the production process or lacquer used it brings them on, or strain on my eyes causes mine, best to get the all clear from your doctor first,

I'm sure I have read somewhere that when your third eye chakra fully opens one of the symptoms can be a serve headache for a few days, if you get the all clear from the doctor then the reading you did with your cards may have fully opened your third eye chakra.

KnightOfTheCosmos

Tigerangel: Oh wow, I should research Third Eye chakra openings. I have started doing chakra meditations so maybe that could be it. I noticed some things have been happening during the meditations. Not anything major, just eye twitching for a couple of days straight (which surprisingly stopped with when the headache started), tingling on the top of my head, getting random thoughts. Stuff like that. But I am going to the doctor to get a referral for a head scan, to be safe. =)

DesertDream: I will definitely remember spiritual protection. I always try to ground and protect myself before I do tarot readings. It is quite hard for me to visualize the white bubble protective technique, though. But I still try!

AnemoneRosie: I will! I haven't done readings since I got the headache, which was Friday. Hopefully it doesn't come back tomorrow. But I do believe it could be my intuitive muscles getting a work out. Lol, it's funny because I have the Psychic Tarot Oracle, and I've been pulling Intuition (The High Priestess) quite often, haha.

DesertDream

Oh no the white bubble is airy fairy hogwash. I reccomend diving deeper than that. Goodluck in your search.

RiverRunsDeep

The nurse in me is wondering: Was there some kind of chemical smell
coming from the cards that affected you?

The massage therapist in me is wondering: Where did you lay the cards
for the reading, and how much time did you spend reading them? I have
clients who become so focused on their laptops or paperwork, holding their
head at a certain angle, that they develop severe neck tension which then
becomes a horrible headache.

I'm glad you'll be seeing the doctor. Do take care of yourself. :)

KnightOfTheCosmos

DesertDream: LOL, thank you for saying that because I sometimes wondered if that actually worked and I always felt bad because I couldn't visualize it well! Thank you! =)

RiverRunsDeep: Actually, the cards have no smell at all. I've had this deck for a year now so I definitely would have noticed!

I actually laid them out on my bed, haha. And I sat on my bed and studied them. It was a 3 card reading, and I grounded myself a bit, and then did the reading, which took about 5-10 minutes (I really like shuffling, haha). Then I started to really interpret the cards, and about 5 minutes into that my headache just popped out of nowhere. It started as a dull ache and intensified as I continued to interpret them. Then I took some Advil pills and called it a night.

I definitely see what you mean about the tension, though. I'm always tense, which is one of the reasons why I started meditating to begin with.

Thank you! I'm sure I'll be fine! đź‘Ť