Hippie Pagan Tarot idea...

ladyealatheshy

Okay, maybe the idea of theme decks is becoming a bit cheese considering there are so many of them and for everything under the sun. However, one of the decks I have plans for, I hope to take beyond the cheese and make it beautiful and spiritual. Though the name is not formal yet, tentatively it is called The Hippie Pagan Tarot. The medium, colored pencil drawings. Im a fairly proficient artist and would like to design the deck and the book myself. I would like feedback on the general idea. It would be colorful for sure, stick closely to the Rider-Waite-Smith model, but within the "theme". Not sure about the suits, at the very least, it will be Air, Fire, Water, Earth. Some of the names of the Majors may change. The Free Spirit from The Fool perhaps. I had nixed the idea early on to use drawings of famous figures from the 60's and 70's, I want it to have a more universal feel that new hippies can relate to as well, so they would probably be just hippie looking people. I did want to represent different aspects of the hippie culture such as conservation, vegetarianism (for those who choose that), activism, art, music, sexuality, spirituality, communal living. So many questions to answer...any feedback welcome,even if you think its a dumb idea. --Eala the Shy

brenmck

New Faces on The Archetypes

How about suits of Earth, Wind (in honor of Bob Dylan), Fire, and Water?
Where will you put the face of Jimi Hendrix? - The Fool (Free Spirit) or the Magician? Don't forget Kerouac and Ginsberg - they're the ancestors.
LBJ belongs in there somewhere (from the U.S. POV) - he generated more hippies than Timothy Leary.
And the Doors, Lennon, Ravi, and Westmoreland.
It's a very rich history, when you start digging.

~B~

Cerulean

Will you use Peter Max or rainbow palette backgrounds?

Tie dye?

If it's a 'groovy' coloring, the Diamond Tarot's colorful inserts with psychadlic mirrors looks somewhat like that to me...but for the time and place of hippiedom, in the 1960's-1970's...someone had a thread going...

1. Anyway, of the time of the hippies:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=40028

2. Slightly later, the time period in photos:

Mountain Dream:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mountain-dream/

Maybe inspiration? Good wishes on your project! I wonder if people will have hippie tarot titles for you to explore as well...

Cerulean

mythos

brenmck said:
How about suits of Earth, Wind (in honor of Bob Dylan), Fire, and Water?
Where will you put the face of Jimi Hendrix? - The Fool (Free Spirit) or the Magician? Don't forget Kerouac and Ginsberg - they're the ancestors.
LBJ belongs in there somewhere (from the U.S. POV) - he generated more hippies than Timothy Leary.
And the Doors, Lennon, Ravi, and Westmoreland.
It's a very rich history, when you start digging.

~B~

The Doors Jim Morrison as the King of 'Come on baby light my Fire'
Joni Mitchell ... Ladies of the Canyon - Earth
Joan Baez ... OMG .... my youth is coming back to haunt me. I'll go for the 10 of chillums please LOL.

Sounds like a great idea ... feminism in it's Women's Lib form arose too during that period.

Wonderful, says this still-hippie old chick

mythos:)

brenmck

mythos said:
The Doors Jim Morrison as the King of 'Come on baby light my Fire'
Joni Mitchell ... Ladies of the Canyon - Earth
Joan Baez ... OMG .... my youth is coming back to haunt me. I'll go for the 10 of chillums please LOL.

Sounds like a great idea ... feminism in it's Women's Lib form arose too during that period.

Wonderful, says this still-hippie old chick.

OK, I wasn't going to chime back, but how could I forget Joni?
Joan Baez and Thomas Merton used to hang out at the Hermitage, so he's got to be in there, too - the peacenik too-human undeclared saint, a monk who became famous and couldn't tolerate authority - perfect.

I had a crush on Gloria Steinem, the hippie of Cosmopolitan.

I want this deck, Ladyealatheshy. Put me on the list.

~B~

PS - Mythos, I'll bet you're not the oldest hippie in the place, either.

mythos

brenmck said:
PS - Mythos, I'll bet you're not the oldest hippie in the place, either.

LOL ... I want this deck tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Hey, and what about Maharishi Mahesh Yogi as the Hierophant LOL. And Neil Young just has to get a spot.

And .. Our house, is a very, very fine house, with 3 cats in the yard etc. can't you just see it painted?

and Tricky Dicky just has to be The Devil LOL! or Manson of course! Yeech!

rota

Is this to be deck that old hippies (I count myself among them) would like and use, or is this to be a deck that translates tarot symbols into '60's iconography?

If the former, I would stay strictly away from using famous faces to fill in the needs of the various cards. None of us could agree on who's exactly right to fill in a given card, anyway. It could become simply an exercise in translation, resulting in an art piece rather than a useful deck. It's a 'fool's errand', as it were.

If the latter, I say 'go for it', as the 80's phrase has it. And wouldn't Paul McCartney be The Fool?

mythos

Just a thought ... geodesic domes as pentacles!

ladyealatheshy

oh my goddess!

you guys are so wonderful with the input. thankyou for the great suggestions, and support of this idea.

i myself am only thirty, a second gen hippie i guess you could consider me, my parents met in the san fran bay area. my brother is named Dylan after Bob Dylan/Dylan Thomas. i named my son Lennon. i grew up listening to my dad's albums...hendrix, joplin, allman bros, doobie bros, fleetwood mac, beatles, zepplin, doors, dead, bob dylan, the blues of course, to name a few. i was very much influenced by the music, politics, art, writing, and general counterculture that started in the 60s and 70s, and still continues in many ways. but i am saddened by the apathetic and cynical attitudes of today's youth, even among the local hippie crowd. i would love to help change this attitude, by repectfully capturing the essence of the hippie movement, as it was then, as it is now. the interpretation maybe has changed, i know punk-hippies, goth-hippies, piercings and body modification is bigger than ever, but the spirit is the same. the passion for change remains.

the stereotypes raise certain questions..."all hippies smoke pot/lsd/mushrooms", well, is the inclusion of substances such as these a good idea, especially if its aiming the larger community of hippies? of course not all hippies choose to partake in that experience, nor are all hippies vegetarians, or live on communes, or all wear tye dye, or whatever. so what symbols are chosen to appropriately represent hippies, then. this too requires contemplation.

i can tell you what will probably be included in my interpretation...tye dye backs, alot of nature (so the inclusion of marijuana leaves and mushrooms may be a part of the scenery), hippies of varied appearance (different ethnicities, styles, , etc.), some icons such as lennon, hendrix, morrison (but more as background characters, intersperced throughout, instead of main archetypes), and other representations of love and peace and unity. so i may draw upon some of these stereotypes but i hope to do it in a way that works for a more universal audience.

the name may be a problem, will folks even consider picking up a deck with hippie in the title if they have a certain perception of what hippies are about? eh, who cares, im making it for the hippies, lol.

oh, i am so sorry for the rambling, wanted to provide a bit more info since there has been an interest expressed in this idea. if anyone knows of a company who may be interested in publishing a deck of this type, let me know.
and i hope to have more input from the hippies of this forum in the future. will update as we go.

peace and brightest blessings, Eala

Emeraldgirl

ladyealatheshy said:
the name may be a problem, will folks even consider picking up a deck with hippie in the title if they have a certain perception of what hippies are about? eh, who cares, im making it for the hippies, lol.

I'd buy it regardless of the name. I love the idea :)