Hold On - You asked the cards WHAT?!

firecatpickles

I always like your posts tarotbear...

tarotbear said:
But the underlying question now surfacing is 'are we dependent on our cards?' {Or are others dependent on our reading the cards for them?}. Many people hate using the word 'addiction.' but are you askling 'have we become addicted to our cards so that we have lost the ability to have a single thought that is not our own?'

I can think of no healthier addiction!

tarotbear said:
"[H]ave we become addicted to our cards so that we have lost the ability to have a single thought that is not our own?"

Tarot is one single thought, in my opinion. The reader's, the querent's and cards' all in one...

Dwaas

Tarot_prinsess:
i don't agree that you can trivialize tarot for everyday things like should i order pizza or not...

Honestly, why not? What do you think will happen? Something bad? With me? With the cards? Just curious.

Cielo

Dwaas said:
Tarot_prinsess:

Honestly, why not? What do you think will happen? Something bad? With me? With the cards? Just curious.

Curious too as to what might happen!!! :eek:

I have to admit though...when I first started out reading Tarot in earnest, I did have a more humble relationship with my cards..I was awed by the tradition, the mystery, I didn't exactly know how to treat them, what I could ask, how to relate...I wanted to respect the realm they represented and I remember posting many questions of how to clean their energy, how to phrase question, what to ask and in general trying to figure out how it all worked. Over time I suppose my attitude has become more lenient... ;) My cards are my friends. We talk. We chat. We hang out. Sometimes we chit-chat about the trivial daily stuff....sometimes they advice me on serious decisions...often they reprimand me and put things back in perspective...I no longer believe in the Almighty Tarot Divine Spirit hovering around and within my decks.

Today I regard them as a visual extention of my most inner thoughts....(I am not trying to divert this thread to the ancient intuition versus esoteric wisdom...:)), and just as during a normal day my head will be full of thousands of thoughts,- what's for dinner, when are my bills due, am I happy with my life, little things and small things, trivial and profound, I would never expect anything less than to see that represented in my cards. They are what I am. I make them what they are. Dynamic, ever changing. Isn't that the beauty of Tarot after all? :)

I might just be talking crap....after all, I just 10 of Swords for what to make for lunch....I suppose it might mean an extra stringy steak that even 10 knives can't cut through...oh glory....

Peace to all! :)

lukedra

Look at the definition of frivolous before you directly insult others Rogan. Do you realise how insulting what you said was. If you can't accept the consequences for subtly calling most people trivial and below you then you have a warped view of life and need more then tarot to save you. Not accepting the greatness in others and thinking your better then anyone and not respecting everyone for the star they are is very old aeon crap. By the way I was subtly calling your extreme beliefs frivolous, destructive and dangerous in my last post.

jmd

It was much earlier in the thread when some responses were made that showed the beneficial value of light-heartedly engaging with the cards for more 'trivial'-type questions.

To my way of working, this is also healthy play that assists in 'loosening' one's interpretative skill by developing active and imaginative relations between an apparent unrelated card and an apparent 'trivial' question. Of course, unbeknowst to the person asking such a question, it could have wonderful consequences (such as avoiding that pizza that had a moldy pastry base).

As was also mentioned, often a seemingly innocuous question can also raise issues that one deeply feels, but is otherwise unable to bring to the fore. The pup placed in the crate because of the question being asked may also inadvertently allow someone to see that not all 'cagings' are to be considered as prisons, for example.

Questions that appear trivial, for those who want to use Tarot for readings, are to be encouraged, in my personal view.

Amhran

I'll just add a couple small comments. The puppy in the crate example is actually one I do not think is trivial at all. My best friend is a dog trainer who usues only positive motivation tecniques. The crating issue is one she has struggled with many times. I'm sure the puppy doesn't feel it's trivial either. So, it's all in the perspective of who is asking.

Also, there was a time I felt I was addicted to tarot, and stopped using them because of it. I would ask questions over and over at any moment I had a chance about this or that guy I was involved with or wanted to be involved with. Now I see it wasn't the tarot, but my obsessive behaviour and thought process that was addictive.

Deana

I think asking trivial questions is a great way to get to know a new deck and develop a relationship with it.

The questions I won't answer are the ones like a person I know who has hated her job for more than 10 years and every single day (for more than ten years!) she has talked about quitting. She checks her astrological ephemeris daily to see if it's a good time to quit, she checks her doctor monthly to see if he thinks hating the job so much is making her sick.

And she has a deck of Tarot cards that she has never used for a single purpose other than to ask if she should quit her job (she's had the deck more than four years and I can't imagine how many times she's asked).

When she comes to me and asks for a Tarot reading, I run screaming in the other direction. I'd really rather do a reading on whether a puppy should be crated.

SirenRising

Rogan
I'm sooo glad u posted this thread... i think people who make those ridiculous questions don't have self-confidence, are incredibly insecure, they need all type of foundations to carry on with their lifes, including asking advice for minor issues.

or

thei're just full of bullshit

Kiama

SirenRising said:
Rogan
I'm sooo glad u posted this thread... i think people who make those ridiculous questions don't have self-confidence, are incredibly insecure, they need all type of foundations to carry on with their lifes, including asking advice for minor issues.

or

thei're just full of bullshit

Or perhaps just want to have some FUN with Tarot. Oh no, how dare they!? Because somebody asks a fun question about pizza does NOT mean they are lacking in self-confidence/incredibly insecure/need all types of foundations to carry on with life.

Has anybody here ever played games with the cards? Games such as making up stories with them? Games such as the Tree of Life game invented by Gerald Suster. With these games, the object is to have fun, with a TRIVIAL act... but you will also notice that you get a lot of insight from this trivial act. With Tarot stories you're making up a funny, often ludicrously silly story about the protagonist (often the first card drawn) and his weird adventures, but then you get halfway through and you realize that actually, the story you're creating is quite poignant.

And really, as somebody here has already asked... If I ask a question about pizza using the Tarot, what will happen to me? Will I explode? Will my cards burst into flame? Will my entire mental state become unstable and insecure?

I doubt it.

Kiama

Sophie

SirenRising said:
Rogan
Yeah, you're right.

Every morning, as I pull my card to decide whether I'll be eating Corn Flakes or Special K, I realise what an insecure and ridiculous person I am. But what will you do, I am addicted! It's so pathetic and sad. No wonder I don't have a life, I never get beyond choosing cereals. And I don't even like Corn Flakes! Say - do you have a good 12-step programme we bunch of trivial insecure juvenile people might go onto?

Hello, I'm Helvetica and I am an Insecure Tarotholic. My life is out of Control, and I really prefer Special K.

(I have just drawn a card to see whether I should post this or not: 5 of Staffs. Yes! I should!)