House of Tarot shipping

rwcarter

If HoT's shipping is based on weight and distance, it sounds like they're using either UPS or FedEx instead of the US Postal System. That could account for the high cost of shipping from one coast to the other. (I looked at their site last night and fortunately didn't find anything I had to have. Whew! since I'm on the other coast and it would've cost a bundle to ship.... :) )

Rodney

cardlady22

I've ordered from them before; logged in as a returning customer. It allowed me to specify USPS Priority Mail at $9.00 for 2 decks.
Discount Coupons:aeclectic: $3.20 ~ so $5.80

Is that what is making a difference? Or just my location?

cSpaceDiva

When I placed my order, it stated the shipping method was USPS Priority Mail, but it was actually sent UPS Ground. Shipping for 6 items was just over $25 to northwest.

rwcarter

cSpaceDiva said:
When I placed my order, it stated the shipping method was USPS Priority Mail, but it was actually sent UPS Ground. Shipping for 6 items was just over $25 to northwest.
Thanks for that cSpaceDiva. Based on what cardlady22 said, I wondered if I was wrong about the UPS shipping. I'm guessing her stated shipping cost is lower because she's closer to their location.

I tried to put it to the test myself by putting two items in my cart and starting the checkout process, but I've never ordered from them before and wasn't going to create an account just to see what shipping amount I'd be shown.

Rodney

firecatpickles

cSpaceDiva said:

$25 for ground?! I would be superpissed.

lunakasha

rwcarter said:
I tried to put it to the test myself by putting two items in my cart and starting the checkout process, but I've never ordered from them before and wasn't going to create an account just to see what shipping amount I'd be shown.

I just put six items in my cart and the shipping (Priority) came to $15.05, which isn't too bad. But I live on the East coast, which probably makes a huge difference.

Fire Cat said:
$25 for ground?! I would be superpissed.

LOL! :laugh: I wouldn't pay $25 for shipping, period.

~Luna

rwcarter

lunakasha said:
I just put six items in my cart and the shipping (Priority) came to $15.05, which isn't too bad. But I live on the East coast, which probably makes a huge difference.
Try changing your shipping address to Menlo Park, California 94025 and see what the shipping comes to.

lunakasha

rwcarter said:
Try changing your shipping address to Menlo Park, California 94025 and see what the shipping comes to.

The shipping to Menlo Park, CA for the six decks came to $19.90. :eek:

That's still a lot for USPS Priority shipping, knowing that the Flat Rate option would only cost $10.70 and another $2-3 for delivery confirmation and insurance.

I guess they figured that the "aeclectic" discount would help defray the shipping costs.

:) Luna

cSpaceDiva

I actually did walk away when I saw the amount for shipping (Express Mail would have been $54!) but then I came back and decided to go ahead and place the order. If not for the closeout pricing AND aeclectic discount, I would not have made the purchase. At least there was no sales tax :)

Also, it took a week to arrive.

Debra

There's a strange psychology operating with shipping costs (I should know, as it affects me!).

Imagine that each deck cost two dollars more. What's two bucks? And if shipping was reduced by that amount, so the total came out the same, I bet it wouldn't hurt so much ;)