How do you choose your decks?

Zechariah13

Im not sure if this goes here or in the deck section, but since im not really discussing any deck in depth i'll drop this here.

How do you all choose your tarot decks? What things do you consider? What puts a deck on or takes one off your "must have" list?

I was just curious, as i have been perusing decks online, and havent found one that i really resonate with yet. For me, it seems to be all about artwork. Well i guess not just artwork, as in quality, but in how the figures are drawn. Can i see their personalities? can i see what the card represents in their action and pose?

Also, RWS for some reason is a complete turn-off for me.

So i was wondering, what goes into your deck selection?

Stormdancer

Im not sure if this goes here or in the deck section, but since im not really discussing any deck in depth i'll drop this here.

How do you all choose your tarot decks? What things do you consider? What puts a deck on or takes one off your "must have" list?

I was just curious, as i have been perusing decks online, and havent found one that i really resonate with yet. For me, it seems to be all about artwork. Well i guess not just artwork, as in quality, but in how the figures are drawn. Can i see their personalities? can i see what the card represents in their action and pose?

Also, RWS for some reason is a complete turn-off for me.

So i was wondering, what goes into your deck selection?

You post the most interesting questions. For me....I look for what I'll call "meat", but there are SO many out there. I want a deck that appeals to me visually, usually intense colors are involved, and symbolism I can relate to. I started out RWS and am most comfortable with those.

But then I got the Thoth bug, and now I'm fascinated by those as well. In fact, thanks to a post of yours, I now own the Tarot of Vampyres....LOL. I also like decks that provide me with a path of study, but I'm SO overwhelmed with my "study" possibilities. I could study what I have for the next century or so...LOL

I like unique perspectives. I have one deck about "Where do the Arcana live?" I love that idea, and most of her decks...LOL

You talk about the people in the decks. I like doing that too. What/who are they looking at? The thing I'm beginning to notice is that...it's not so much about THE cards. They're like a springboard....

Ya know, I should not have answered. If it appeals to me I try to buy. Color, symbolism, study....

I am a deck slut....LOL

Zechariah13

You post the most interesting questions. For me....I look for what I'll call "meat", but there are SO many out there. I want a deck that appeals to me visually, usually intense colors are involved, and symbolism I can relate to. I started out RWS and am most comfortable with those.

But then I got the Thoth bug, and now I'm fascinated by those as well. In fact, thanks to a post of yours, I now own the Tarot of Vampyres....LOL. I also like decks that provide me with a path of study, but I'm SO overwhelmed with my "study" possibilities. I could study what I have for the next century or so...LOL

I like unique perspectives. I have one deck about "Where do the Arcana live?" I love that idea, and most of her decks...LOL

You talk about the people in the decks. I like doing that too. What/who are they looking at? The thing I'm beginning to notice is that...it's not so much about THE cards. They're like a springboard....

Ya know, I should not have answered. If it appeals to me I try to buy. Color, symbolism, study....

I am a deck slut....LOL

lol indeed. just remeber, if your are going to be a deck slut, practice safe readings! lol

Anyway, i wasnt looking for really advice QUITE so much as seeing what everyone does.
And im glad to know that my questions are interesting :D

Stormdancer

lol indeed. just remeber, if your are going to be a deck slut, practice safe readings! lol

Anyway, i wasnt looking for really advice QUITE so much as seeing what everyone does.
And im glad to know that my questions are interesting :D
LOL...I wan't offering advice. I am not eloquent enough to put what I DO into words. If I like something about it, that means there's something there for me....usually.

Are you looking for other decks? Why are you asking?

Much smarter peeps will respond...LOL

Zechariah13

lol. i seem to be loling a lot, must be time for bed

I am looking for more decks, and not because im tired with the one i currently have, but because i do feel slightly strange only having the one, and maybe doing readings for people here would be easier (as well as getting input on readings) if i didnt have Daughters/Princesses in my deck instead of Pages.

BUT i did find a nice set of Oracles, Gods and TItans, and Goddess and Sirens. I fell in love with them at first sight, much like Tarot of Vampyres, primarily because i absolutely LOVE mythology, and GaT is possible the best non-pron eye candy ive seen in a while *drools*

lilangel09

I choose the deck based on aesthetic. It's all about, "Does the art call to me?" I am particular about my tastes, so I don't usually have to worry about buying too much.

I may buy it because I like it or I may buy it even if it's difficult to read with. At this point, I've pretty much gotten all the decks I'll ever "need," spare 2-5. The number of decks I have right now could last me a lifetime. There are decks that as soon as I get them, I know I wouldn't use for reading but would enjoy studying the concepts behind the cards anyhow.

The decks I use for readings are those that I connect with, understand, and are willing to work with even if I don't initially understand them.

Nowadays, I just put decks on my wishlist if I find it interesting. I don't need so many decks, it's just that they're pretty and I like them and I like having them.

I hide the wishlist in a place I don't usually look and without visuals because if I keep seeing it, I will want to buy. Just like if you see a delicious doughnut everyday... eventually you're going to want to buy some because the temptation keeps growing. Out of sight, out of mind. :D

I didn't like the RWS initially either. It's ugly. The first time I read with one, without any flashy borders or colorings, was in a Tarot app. However, over time, it didn't matter to me that it wasn't appealing. It was there when I needed a deck, so I used it. But if I had to spend my life with one deck, it wouldn't be the RWS, lol. It would be a deck I like!

emmsma

I'm not one of the smart peeps, but I'll chime in anyway.

I buy things that appeal to me visually. I always mean to study, so will at times get meaty decks with lots of things to look at and think about.

I also get themed decks. Not all tarot has to be deep and serious for me. I get great readings from Tarot of the Gnomes and African Tarot decks. They are light and make me laugh and also speak to me.

I can find something that draws me to many types of art styles and I suppose at the heart of it, you need to find what speaks to you. If looking online doesn't tell you what you need to know to connect, perhaps if there is a brick and mortar store for you to visit and look through and touch different decks - maybe that will give you a better idea of what kind of decks work for you.

For me, I know that I don't care for erotic decks, anime or gore. So no Vampires for me.

Richard

I prefer historical decks, such as the Marseille, Soprafino, 1JJ. The images on the minors of post-Waite decks are seldom relevant when reading for myself. (I read for others only when requested to do so.) However, I do like decks which have beautiful artwork, such as the Aquarian, Universal Waite, Thoth, and the absolutely sublime Lebanese Tarot; but I seldom read with them.

Carla

I buy things I like. They go onto the trade list if they turn out not to be practical for divination. I want to be able to use all my decks, so even if I 'like' it, if I can't read with it, I will trade it.

Sometimes I buy things because the 'smart peeps' ( :) ) tell me to. They're usually right. If you have a vague idea of what sort of things you are looking for in a deck, just start a thread asking about it and people will chime in with suggestions for you to consider. This is how I got several of my decks.

astronautica

I also like decks that provide me with a path of study, but I'm SO overwhelmed with my "study" possibilities. I could study what I have for the next century or so...LOL

I'm the same! I love decks that I can spend days poring over and still learn something new about, rich in symbolism, culture, history and mysticism. Except I now have so many decks yearning to be studied that they're competing with my university study!

And beautiful artwork is a must. Faces that make you wonder, "Now what are they thinking?" And not just human - I think my favourite face at the moment is the foxy Knight of Bows from my Wildwood :)

I think choosing a deck is such a personal thing, and every method of choice is completely valid :)