how do you make sense of certain questions with certain cards

ShannonK

I've been taught different meanings of different cards. For example, a witch that I took classes from last year, gave me very different meanings of certain cards, some in which are opposite of other teachings I have learned via books and internet. (For example the Strength card- most books and internet reviews, talk about this card as using inner strength. My witch friend (tarot teacher) says this card is more about a manipulative person/"control freak". I have been taught both ways (by books/internet and classes from a witch) the different elements and their suits- (wands=fire swords = air) or (wands= air swords=fire) and I have seen both interpretations in different decks and books. With that being said, I do choose to go off of my teachers teachings, just because I chose to take her classes for clarification reasons. I will say that a lot of the readings I have done, have really shown me that her teachings are correct (for me) especially when I use my favorite deck. However, some of the card meanings she taught me are really "cut to the chase" meanings, and sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what the card is trying to tell me. For example, the Judgement card. This card has never been an easy card for me to wrap my head around. First of all the picture scares me, as I came from strong Christianity that says tarot is a sin. (That one is a constant battle with in me.)
So yesterday and today, I chose to open some of my beloved tarot books (since my tarot teacher owns a witchcraft store and is very very busy these days) and try to get more insight on them. The book I chose to do the most reading from these two days is Rachael Pollack's Tarot Wisdom. After reading about the Judgement card in her words, I felt like I had a little more clarity on the card itself, so I decided to do her practice spread (on page 240) and I swear I am even more befuddled. It calls for 7 cards, with the questions going as follows:

1. What is the hidden question of Justice? (I'm not sure if that was a typo n the book, or if it was meant to say Justice)
2.How can I answer it
3.What calls me to rise up/become something new?
4.What can I become?
5.How can my life change?
6.What/who will change around me?
7. How am I called to answer?

With out me actually stating each card, (to save the arguements of "That's not what that card means"), I will just state the simple words I wrote down.

1.Kharma lesson coming around. I am being judged
2.A message of inspiration
3.Change/letting go
4.Lazy
5.Greedy
6.A message of passion
7.A bullsh**er

(My teacher and I do use cuss words lol)

What are other thoughts on my outcome? How do I dig deeper on this one because basically this tells me some pretty negative stuff about myself. I'm not sure the answer to "how am I called to answer" is "by being a bullsh**er.
I don't even know if I'm making sense in this post.

CrystalSeas

. It calls for 7 cards, with the questions going as follows:
1. What is the hidden question of Justice? (I'm not sure if that was a typo n the book, or if it was meant to say Justice)
2.How can I answer it
4.What can I become?

With out me actually stating each card, (to save the arguements of "That's not what that card means"),

There is simply no way to provide explanations for mysterious unnamed cards.

That said, it's unlikely you will experience arguments telling you that you are interpreting a card wrong. I don't think I've ever seen that on this forum, and if someone did post that kind of confrontational statement, it would be flagged very quickly for moderation.

If you want help with interpreting your cards, you'll need to say what cards you pulled for each position.

Saskia

Firstly, cards have many meanings; hence, arguments about what are the most correct, most genuine or most whatnot are quite irrelevant, because everyone has their own style of reading based on experience.

Secondly, why do you feel you have to "hide" cards to avoid arguments? A discussion or even a debate is not an argument, where only one person seeks to overpower the others. Discussions and debates are tools for learning, and everyone's interpretation on the cards can add to the overall lexicon of meanings the cards take in the myriad of situations in life.

Thirdly, I believe that if your cards make you feel ashamed or suggest selfish acts ("be a bullshitter"), you're projecting your fears into the message. But, like CrystalSeas pointed out, there's no way of interpreting your cards if you don't give the names of the cards, so we can't give alternative views about what else they could mean.

I get the feeling you're seeking for an absolute list of meanings, like a list of key words, but your understanding of the cards will evolve, expand and change for as long as you'll read them. So don't get too stuck with the idea about "right and wrong" interpretations.

ShannonK

The actual cards

I've been taught different meanings of different cards. For example, a witch that I took classes from last year, gave me very different meanings of certain cards, some in which are opposite of other teachings I have learned via books and internet. (For example the Strength card- most books and internet reviews, talk about this card as using inner strength. My witch friend (tarot teacher) says this card is more about a manipulative person/"control freak". I have been taught both ways (by books/internet and classes from a witch) the different elements and their suits- (wands=fire swords = air) or (wands= air swords=fire) and I have seen both interpretations in different decks and books. With that being said, I do choose to go off of my teachers teachings, just because I chose to take her classes for clarification reasons. I will say that a lot of the readings I have done, have really shown me that her teachings are correct (for me) especially when I use my favorite deck. However, some of the card meanings she taught me are really "cut to the chase" meanings, and sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what the card is trying to tell me. For example, the Judgement card. This card has never been an easy card for me to wrap my head around. First of all the picture scares me, as I came from strong Christianity that says tarot is a sin. (That one is a constant battle with in me.)
So yesterday and today, I chose to open some of my beloved tarot books (since my tarot teacher owns a witchcraft store and is very very busy these days) and try to get more insight on them. The book I chose to do the most reading from these two days is Rachael Pollack's Tarot Wisdom. After reading about the Judgement card in her words, I felt like I had a little more clarity on the card itself, so I decided to do her practice spread (on page 240) and I swear I am even more befuddled. It calls for 7 cards, with the questions going as follows:

2.How can I answer it
4.What can I become?

With out me actually stating each card, (to save the arguements of "That's not what that card means"), I will just state the simple words I wrote down.

3.Change/letting go
4.Lazy
5.Greedy
6.A message of passion
7.A bullsh**er

(My teacher and I do use cuss words lol)

What are other thoughts on my outcome? How do I dig deeper on this one because basically this tells me some pretty negative stuff about myself. I'm not sure the answer to "how am I called to answer" is "by being a bullsh**er.
I don't even know if I'm making sense in this post.

Ok the first card was the heirophant. 2=page of wands. 3=death. 4=7 of pentacles. 5=4of pentacles. 6=page of swords 7=6 of pentacles

I am also using the method of wands=air. Swords=fire.
I'm not really looking for a "list of meanings" but more like "if this was what I was taught, what do I make of it" type thing.

CrystalSeas

1. What is the hidden question of Justice?
The Heirophant

2.How can I answer it
Page of Wands

Death

4.What can I become?
7 of Pentacles

4 of Pentacles

Page of Swords

6 of Pentacles

So let's assume that, since you were asking about Judgement and not Justice, that the card under discussion is "Judgement".

The hidden question of Judgement is the seeking after truth (The Hierophant) in a way that aligns with your mission in life. You can answer it by consciously and enthusiastically creating a new path for yourself (Page of Wands).

What calls you to become something new is that you've reached the natural ending of one cycle in your life (Death). You can become someone who carefully assesses the results of your efforts so far and sees some successes. Your life can change if you take control and set limits for other people around you (4 of Pentacles)

What will change around you is that you will face the facts and speak more directly, exposing what is currently hidden (Page of Swords). You are called to answer this question by sharing your resources and your power with others in a fair and equitable way (6 of Pentacles).

Saskia

I will just state the simple words I wrote down.

3.Change/letting go
4.Lazy
5.Greedy
6.A message of passion
7.A bullsh**er

Hi again, the reason why I mentioned a list of keywords is the way you listed your interpretations. I also noted you seem to have chosen quite negative meanings of each card, even though no card has only one meaning and at least to me, there's no reason to see upright cards in their negative colours unless somehow directed by the rest of the cards.

Maybe ponder your style to read to see why you pick the negative meanings? Does it reflect your fear of doing the wrong thing by "delving in sin", tarot? I personally don't think that reflecting one's life and trying to seek answers can be a sin.

Here's my take.

1. What is the hidden question of Judgement?
The Heirophant

2.How can I answer it
Page of Wands

Death

4.What can I become?
7 of Pentacles

4 of Pentacles

Page of Swords

6 of Pentacles

1. The hidden question is how to live a moral, ethical and good life / do the right thing.

2. By being curious and fearless. There's nothing wrong in wanting to know and experience more in life.

3. Discarding those aspects of your self that don't serve you anymore. Nature lives in cycles and renews itself, occasionally evolving into something completely different. We can live like that, too.

4. Someone who understands patience and long cycles: what we put effort to, will grow, but what we'll abandon, will wither. Achieving or learning things always takes time.

5. By you understanding the value of small things; you already have what you need.

6. You'll open your mind to new ideas, values, thoughts and viewpoints. Nothing is black and white and not one thing or value is right and others wrong (applies also to religion).

7. By helping others and giving what you can to the society/people around you. You could give time, knowledge, resources... what you have and can freely give.

ShannonK

thanks so much!!!!!

I really appreciate both responses and insight!!!! I found them to be extremely helpful and enlightening. I feel like some of my teachings have been a little more on the "darker" side, however, that method has held true in it's own way in certain readings. That's when it becomes hard to find the positives.
For example, the 6 of pentacles. As I've stated before, this is a card that I have learned two meanings/interpretations on. The first thing I learned of this card was about a person who balances out giving and taking (materialistically/financially/earthly/etc.) The second interpretation I learned of this card is a person who is more so putting on a show- example, giving away money to everyone when really they are in debt and should be using the money to pay bills. (That's just the example-could go more into looking like they are well off, when really it's just a show type thing)
So with that said, I guess my next question would be, how do I deal with that????

CrystalSeas

For example, the 6 of pentacles. As I've stated before, this is a card that I have learned two meanings/interpretations on. The first thing I learned of this card was about a person who balances out giving and taking (materialistically/financially/earthly/etc.) The second interpretation I learned of this card is a person who is more so putting on a show- example, giving away money to everyone when really they are in debt and should be using the money to pay bills. (That's just the example-could go more into looking like they are well off, when really it's just a show type thing)
So with that said, I guess my next question would be, how do I deal with that????

How you deal with what? The fact that you've memorized two meanings doesn't mean that those are the only two meanings the card can have.

Take a look again at how people in this thread have interpreted your 6 of Pentacles. Each of us has had a slightly different perspective.

And you might try this exercise:

What would the 6 of Pentacles mean as the outcome of a "love" reading?
What would the 6 of Pentacles mean as the "past" of a "love" reading?
What would the 6 of Pentacles mean as the "future" of a "love" reading?
Now ask the same questions by replacing "love" with "career"

No card can have a fixed meaning for every question. Sometimes a card is a person. Sometimes it's a personality trait of the querent. Sometimes it's a situation at work. Sometimes it's a family situation.

You start with a few key words to help you interpret the card, but eventually, after seeing it in many different places answering many different questions, you'll evolve your own understanding of what it means for your readings.

ShannonK

again thank you!

I'm really glad you mentioned that Crystalsea, because I have felt a need to go back to my big tarot books looking for more insight. I at one point decided that I was only going to go by my teachers (some cards) one sentence meanings. In a way, yes, to memorize them. But as I have been doing tarot readings, I do find myself feeling like what I memorized didn't fit in with the question. Or that I needed more input. (That's why I decided to become a member on this site.) I am going to try the exercises you mentioned. I feel like they are wonderful suggestions. Please do check back on this thread because I want to give my input and outcome. I'm going to probably do this today/tonight and have my input tomorrow. I am so glad I have found a place I can talk tarot and receive help!!!!!

SunChariot

I think in the end, the thing about Tarot is that there really are not right or wrong ways to read or meanings for the cards. It is up to each individual reader to find what works best for them.

That depends on who you are inside, what kind of reader you want to be, what YOU see the purpose of a reading to be, what you want to give to your querents, your values and so much more.

In the end, in actual readings the identical card can mean one thing in one reading and something totally different (maybe even almost opposite in another) Meaning can be quite fluid.

The best we can do is develop the nuances of meanings we feel work best for us as readers. We are even free to invent out own for some cards. Which I have done for a few cards myself and which has worked well for me. As long as we stick to the same meanings, the cards will use those meanings as we read. They will likely adjust over time as we grow as readers.

And intuition is always an important tool. Sometimes your intuition just tells you that the intended meanings is something unlike any meaning you have for a card. Then you just follow that. :grin:

Babs