How long before new deck is reading accurately?

olivia1

ok this may sound stupid but...

i have a question for those of you who read with one deck for a long period of time ( I guess at least 4 months)? how long do you feel it takes until you feel confident with the readings you get with a new copy of the same deck?

i read with the RWS.I think I acquired my first one, a Vintage Matte one in April. I pretty much wore it out so I replaced it with a newer, glossier, shinier version. is has taken me days and numerous feedback from others before I even began to trust my new deck. Do you think its just in my mind? do you believe a deck could be accurate and trusted straight from the box?

i guess in a way, im hoping someone could get me to get past this crazy idea that i have that it takes time for a deck to acquire enough energy before it will read accurately. because i like new decks and wouldnt mind replacing my working deck whenever i please. I didnt always think this way. I used to think a deck could read accurately straight from the box until I started reading with a certain deck (not the RWS) and the first few readings were flat out wrong.

JadoreHauteCouture

i really like the idea of decks being different even though they are of the same kind. I never purchased same deck twice but i do believe it takes individual time for each deck to master it. it took me a year for Necronomicon to grow on me and till it started to talk to me and reveal its messages.. However, ive been looking for Egyptian decks for quite some time but none appealed to me... One day i went to the store, found this amazing Ancient Egyptian deck and started using it immediately. It was just so strong i didnt even read the book yet, or didnt use any traditional meanings, my intuition was just bursting reading after reading and they were more than accurate.. even now when people get back to me after 3 months, things are going as i predicted... So i think its about proper timing for each deck.
Now to your question whether you need to make a bond with a old-new deck. Yes. I think it is the act of creating bond that makes those readings accurate as in the case of Necronomicon above. So i do agree one has to create a bond - which takes time - whether the deck is new to you or whether it is just a reprint....

olivia1

Now to your question whether you need to make a bond with a old-new deck. Yes. I think it is the act of creating bond that makes those readings accurate as in the case of Necronomicon above. So i do agree one has to create a bond - which takes time - whether the deck is new to you or whether it is just a reprint....

yes, i agree with you. i dont think that 2 copies of the same deck are the same deck. they may look alike but they are two different entities. at least that is how i see it. kind of like how identical twins could look alike but they still arent the same person. i agree with what you said too, that it takes awhile for someone to bond with a deck. i also believe a deck has to soak up enough of your energy for it to read optimally. i noticed that the more I handled a deck the better the readings seem to get..i was hoping i was just being silly and it was all simply in my mind

Richard

I don't think it is as much a matter of the deck acquiring enough energy to read accurately as it is the reader building good rapport with the deck. A new deck always feels different somehow. I never felt at all comfortable with the slick plasticky Italian printings of the USG Rider-Waite and Albano-Waite decks, and they did not seem to be cooperative in readings. However, I quickly adjusted to "new" old editions of these same decks from the 1980s.

canid

Olivia, it's not the deck. The deck doesn't 'read accurately'. You're very experienced, you already know this!! There's no time limit involved when someone gets a new deck & feels comfortable with it.

"i have a question for those of you who read with one deck for a long period of time ( I guess at least 4 months)? how long do you feel it takes until you feel confident with the readings you get with a new copy of the same deck?"

Immediately, IF the deck works for me, I like it, etc. Wait. You asked about a new copy of the SAME deck? Hmm...I did that twice. Moon Garden in particular. No time a'tall. Same images, etc. I DID sleep with it under my pillow, however, which many scoff at, but that's just me. ;)

Are you talking more about the imprints/energies on your 'old' deck? Why don't you let the old deck & new deck sleep together to mingle forces? And no, I'm not being facetious.

olivia1

I don't think it is as much a matter of the deck acquiring enough energy to read accurately as it is the reader building good rapport with the deck.
A new deck always feels different somehow. I never felt at all comfortable with the slick plasticky Italian printings of the USG Rider-Waite and Albano-Waite decks, and they did not seem to be cooperative in readings. However, I quickly adjusted to "new" old editions of these same decks from the 1980s.

yeah, i know. i try to tell myself its in my head but a new deck really does feel different somehow. and as for the glossy decks..at first, i didnt really like it either. I know its going to get scoffed at but it felt less "tarot-y" to me and more commercial and new. i dont know, i suppose its just me..but after awhile, i started to like it. if anything it keeps the deck looking new :)

olivia1

Olivia, it's not the deck. The deck doesn't 'read accurately'. You're very experienced, you already know this!! There's no time limit involved when someone gets a new deck & feels comfortable with it.

"i have a question for those of you who read with one deck for a long period of time ( I guess at least 4 months)? how long do you feel it takes until you feel confident with the readings you get with a new copy of the same deck?"

Immediately, IF the deck works for me, I like it, etc. Wait. You asked about a new copy of the SAME deck? Hmm...I did that twice. Moon Garden in particular. No time a'tall. Same images, etc. I DID sleep with it under my pillow, however, which many scoff at, but that's just me. ;)

Are you talking more about the imprints/energies on your 'old' deck? Why don't you let the old deck & new deck sleep together to mingle forces? And no, I'm not being facetious.

:heart: thanks! yes, the energies on my old deck. the new deck first few times just didnt have that connection. it felt like it wasnt really mine and like i needed it to absorb my energy first. which i know has to be nonsense because face to face readers sometimes let clients shuffle the cards and the readings go just fine..but i like youre idea about putting the decks together and letting them mingle forces. that is a great idea! so far i have tried laying crystals on my new deck, shuffling, and letting it hang out in a wooden box that i used to keep the old deck in. I even put All Saints Oil on the new deck. I sort of trust it now but its still not the same... I will also try keeping the old and new together. thanks :)

incase anyone is wondering..the reason i retired the old deck is because its so sticky that the cards take forever to fall during shuffling. I read on the phone and people rightfully get annoyed..they dont say it but i would imagine they would be

Richard

......incase anyone is wondering..the reason i retired the old deck is because its so sticky that the cards take forever to fall during shuffling.......
My old RWS got that way, and I fixed it by sprinkling each card with talcum powder (Gold Bond medicated powder to be exact :D). However, I had to retire the deck because someone (not I) had put a nasty crease in The World card. I don't like things like that which can affect shuffling and cutting.

SA12

I agree with Canid. Although for good measure, I tend to sleep with my new deck (in its box) under my pillow (or on the opposite side of the bed) as a way to mingle energies.

Trogon

I purchased a second "RWS" (The Universal Waite) a while back. Actually, it's my third as I'd given a previous new Universal Waite away some time back. Anyway, this third one worked very well for me from the very start. But, aside from the added color depth, it is essentially the same kind of deck that I started with. However, it does have a slightly different "feel" to it when reading. So, for me, with this deck, it worked for me right off. But that's me and with this deck.