How much importance do you give to Key Words in decks?

shadowdancer

I think with something like the Rohrig you get best of both worlds.

This deck is the size of a house brick, but mine was trimmed immediately - key words removed. Great deck, and if you look very carefully there are key words/phrases within the card itself. Subtle enough to be ignored and not even seen, but there if you desparately want to use a key word.

Davina

MikeTheAltarboy

I think it might depend on the set of key words. I love the labels on the Thoth deck- they're all one-word and broad, and combined with the image open up a wide range of connections. I could see being more distracted by other sets though.

Pao

Elven said:
Theres another way to look at this ... good thread by the way ;) ... and that is most Major Arcanum are 'named' or labelled - even if its only a number ... but you eventually get past the name and move through into the intuitive aspects of the reading ... eventually the name or label of the card diminishes and other lights that belong to the card, shines through ... you will move beyond it if thats your desire to do so ...

Just a thought ..
Blessings Elven x

This is a very good point. thank you for reminding me of that one! i dont think I've reached that point yet with these decks. well actually the quest has got to go but I LOVE the osho zen deck and it gives really good readings its just that i cant get passed the key word at all.

I agree that sometimes combining both the image and words does help and at times i like that but some other times it just hinders my interpretation of the card.

willowfox said:
it limits the meanings of the cards because one's mind tends to automatically click on to that word and go no further.
exactly my eyes move immediately to the word instead of the image first which is what i would preffer. its hard because by looking so much at the words i feel like I get the meaning the AUTHOR wanted me to get and NOT my OWN meaning. the word creativity to him may mean and probablly does mean something entirely different than what it means to me. its not helpful.

I dont want to trim the deck i dont know how i would cut all the cards to be the exact same size and they actually are a perfect size already.

I think i will have to figure out a way to either combine the word or ignore it entirely and maybe it depends on the reading and situation. maybe sometimes i am supposed to blend them both and others ignore it completely?
:confused: