How to appreciate Crowley?

Abrac

I also feel fortunate to have input from the O.T.O. camp. I am the type of person who likes to hear all sides. But Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot seems to me to be represented as an original work by DuQuette, but what it fails to mention is that he has dedicated virtually all his adult life to the O.T.O. and is currently a governing officer in that organization. The credit on the back of the book merely states: "a member of Crowley's legacy order, the OTO."

Greg Stanton

Abrac said:
I also feel fortunate to have input from the O.T.O. camp. I am the type of person who likes to hear all sides. But Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot seems to me to be represented as an original work by DuQuette, but what it fails to mention is that he has dedicated virtually all his adult life to the O.T.O. and is currently a governing officer in that organization. The credit on the back of the book merely states: "a member of Crowley's legacy order, the OTO."
I don't know that the book intentionally misrepresents itself, but after reading page after page of praise, hyperbole and apologetics its hard to believe the writer isn't a member (at the very least) of the OTO.

The only people who praise, say, L. Ron Hubbard are Scientologists. Likewise, hardcore Crowley advocates are more likely than not to be involved in the OTO.

To be fair, DuQuette isn't entirely uncritical. He's just, shall we say, forgiving.

Grigori

Abrac said:
But Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot seems to me to be represented as an original work by DuQuette, but what it fails to mention is that he has dedicated virtually all his adult life to the O.T.O. and is currently a governing officer in that organization. The credit on the back of the book merely states: "a member of Crowley's legacy order, the OTO."

In the introductory chapter, Duquette identifies the Thoth as his source of entry into the OTO, and that the OTO has been his "spiritual home and university for a quater of a century". He doesn't mention his role within the organisation, though that is common in all of his books.

I also don't think its possible to assume from the book that any of it is really Duquette's own work. It's very clearly an introductory primer based directly on Crowley's writings, designed to aid people in understanding them, with a few Duquette-isms thrown in for flavor :D

Greg Stanton

DuQuette is a tasty flavor indeed! Light, a little spicy, low on the acidity, not too tart... He makes really dry stuff fun to read.

ravenest

And he looks like Santa (well, he did when he had that big white beard).
Perhaps he thought mentioning memnbership in OTO was enough and didnt feel the need to add his high position as a reference. I know authors are not encourage within the OTO to list their role in the organisation in order to sell books outside the order or give some type of validity to the work. They would prefer the works to stand on their own merits. LMdQ is a bit different though, he is very 'out there' touring, giving classes, etc.

In any case, membership in OTO might not be that good a reference, any person can study general Hermetics, Tantra, Tarot etc, and come to whatever level of knowledge, understanding and wisdom that they will. The only REAL OTO specific gnosis is the OTO initiation rituals (which is not up for public discussion) and the Gnostic Mass Ritual / ceremony (which most find too boring to be up for public discussion).

Being a member of OTO does not necassarily mean that a book you write will be good ... or accurate.

Umbrae

Aeon418 said:
The intention behind Crowley's remark was that you add your own insights to the existing foundation.

If you never bother commiting them to memory they never become yours. They stay Crowley's.

I'd suggest reading 'Letter F' in which he said,
"...Never let your mind wander from the fact that your Qabalah is not my Qabalah; a good many of the things which I have noted may be useful to you, but you must construct your own system so that it is a living weapon in your hand."
The whole of the letter is quite revealing.

Once one really dives deeply into the writings of Aleister Crowley, we find that he was more interested in helping others create and find their own way in the world, as opposed to creating an army of blind followers.

But that's just my opinion...

Aeon418

Why do martial artists learn different techniques, copying the predefined "forms" of their masters? It is so that one day they may move beyond mere technique and develop their own unique style. But it takes hard work and effort to get that far. But human nature being what it is.....

Why learn how to paint, when you can throw paint at a canvas and call it art? There's always someone willing to buy it....

Umbrae

Aeon418 said:
Why learn how to paint, when you can throw paint at a canvas and call it art? There's always someone willing to buy it....

Jackson Pollock or Paint by Numbers?

ravenest

Umbrae said:
Once one really dives deeply into the writings of Aleister Crowley, we find that he was more interested in helping others create and find their own way in the world, as opposed to creating an army of blind followers.

And Crowley's opinion as well! I'm thinking of that quote (sorry, no reference) where he threatens people who copy him with a psychic attack from 'The Demon Crowley.' :laugh:

Umbrae

Aeon418 said:
Why do martial artists learn different techniques, copying the predefined "forms" of their masters? It is so that one day they may move beyond mere technique and develop their own unique style. But it takes hard work and effort to get that far. But human nature being what it is.....
Made me think of nunchucks, which (I was taught) most likely evolved from farmers implements.

Somewhere along the line – someone had to think outside the box…which means they did not blindly follow what had gone before.

That said, I do agree that foundations were built, forming a platform from which evolution could take place.

However paint by numbers is not a platform for evolutionary actions.