Hudes Companion Book

Kissa

Hi,

i rediscovered this deck and am now ready to go deeper into it. the maps and use of colours really appeals to me, funny i missed it the first time...

for those of you who own the companion book aka "Wisdom in the Cards", what do you think of it? Is it any good? Did it help you get new insights on the cards?

i tried to search for older threads about it but was unable to find any...

thank very much in advance for any info!

Kissa

PS: if someone has this book in good condition and wants to trade, i have a huge trading/selling list in the Trading Section: "Everything must go..." http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?threadid=30635

:)

Lee

Hi Kissa, the Hudes book is a very interesting book, but the important thing to understand about it is that it contains entirely the author's take on the cards (I've forgotten her name at present) and had no input from Hudes herself. The book's author has a very individualistic take on the cards, not the standard interpretations at all. So, if you approach it in that light, it's a nice book. But don't expect to find "the" answers as to why Hudes put certain images on certain cards.

Hope this helps --
Lee

skh

I acquired both the deck and the companion book recently from a board member, and I second what Lee says. It's a very interesting read and I like it because it gives me new ideas about how some cards could be interpreted, but I treat it as the personal opinion of someone who happens to like the Hudes Tarot enough to write a book about it, not as truth set in stone or something. It is a beautiful and well-written book.

Sonja

Kissa

oh thanks so much, Lee and skh, you pointed out exactly what i needed to know...

i was looking for Hudes' words on her deck but ...

so i'm not in any hurry to buy this book even if it is good as you both mentioned.

thanks again to both of you!

kissa

Diana

If I recall correctly, Susan Hudes did give her blessing to this book.

Fulgour

a mixed blessing

Susan Hudes has expressed that she is not interested
in further work regarding her very beautiful creation,
which might be traced to the publishing experience.

Leah Samul, aka A. L. Samul, and the author of the book,
Wisdom in the Cards, maintains her commitment to
this deck in an ongoing and very personal way.

U. S. Games Systems, Inc.
isbn 1-57281-335-0

Diana

Re: a mixed blessing

Fulgour said:
Susan Hudes has expressed that she is not interested
in further work regarding her very beautiful creation,
which might be traced to the publishing experience.

I am sorry to hear that she maybe had some bad experiences. Her deck is a masterpiece.

zagone

I think the book is well worth having. Some of the meanings diverge fairly far from standard Rider-Waite-Smith interpretations, and others don't. Sometimes I think the author is right on, and other times I don't. Regardless -- the book adds a lot that you can't find anywhere else. Buy it.

That's too bad about Susan Hudes' interest. I did get a polite response from her earlier this Summer. I asked US Games to forward to her a copy of the workshop I ran on the Hudes Tarot at the Mid-Atlantic Pagan Alliance Beltaine festival. I asked her a few questions along the lines of "did I get it right" regarding several interpretations I had come up with for the Hudes. If I recall, she mostly answered along the lines of all interpretations and viewpoints potentially being valid -- which could either be exactly the way she feels, or a polite way of saying she did not agree with me without having to say it.

-- Zagone

Fulgour

zagone said:
I think the book is well worth having. Some of the meanings diverge fairly far from standard Rider-Waite-Smith interpretations, and others don't. Sometimes I think the author is right on, and other times I don't. Regardless -- the book adds a lot that you can't find anywhere else. Buy it.
After purchasing the deck separately, I had to special order the book.
When the store called I couldn't wait, and drove over on a stormy night.
Settled in back safely home, my first experience of Leah's intepretations,
as well as her indespensable personal contributions, was like a refuge...
feel free to pm me if you'd like her e-mail ~ I'm sure she'd be available.

Cerulean

I found some 2005 art by Susan Hudes...very different

It's a kind of film noir graphic novel idea...it gave me a different view of the artist and actually, I decided that the mysterious ideas are all I need right now...

http://susanhudes.com/pages.html

But it's good to remind myself about the Leah Samuels texts.

Cerulean