i&#39m new here

bek

I am intersted in learning Tarot and would like to know if anybody can tell me the best type of deck to get, as I have no idea.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanx

fairyhedgehog

Hi bek

Glad to meet you :)

I'm a bit of a newcomer too, but I do have three decks. The main advice seems to be to choose a deck that you feel comfortable with as we all tend to respond slightly differently. Decks called 'Rider Waite clones' are all based on similar imagery and are supposed to be easier for beginners. I think that is because they have pictures on all the cards, not just the Major Arcana.

I've got the Hanson-Roberts (a small deck so it is easy to handle). A lot of people like the Robin Wood deck. I think it is a question of looking around and seeing what you like. This site organises decks into categories so that might help.

Two other sites I've found useful are:
http://www.astroamerica.com and
http://www.learntarot.com

By the way, you might find you get more answers to this question if you post it in the 'decks' forum - people mainly look in here for swaps and trades.

Hope this helps :)

FH

Evad

Quote:bek (29 Nov, 2001 14:49):
I am intersted in learning Tarot and would like to know if anybody can tell me the best type of deck to get, as I have no idea.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanx

You might check out Faunabays post from 27 Nov. "Questionare to help select your deck" in the tarot decks forum.

Welcome and good luck--Evad

jmd

Quote:...the best type of deck to get...

Depending on where you are in the world, stores sometimes have catalogues of open decks for your perusal...

Another idea is to look through various books and see which appeals to you.

Personally, I prefer a Marseilles or Classic deck. The images, though woodcut and 'uglier' (according to some), are very foundational for long term study of the Tarot.

I know that many prefer to use the Waite (Rider-Waite) deck and its myriad derivations (many of which I also have). The three criticisms I have of it are that

1) the pips have scenes depicted on them, which many other people like and find make for easier reading;

2) the numbering of VIII Justice and XI Strength has been swapped; and

3) the Fool has been numbered with a zero rather than remaining un-numbered.

If you wish to have a look at the Marseilles and other decks, click it or check the Aeclectic site...

...and by all means, the above is a reflection of my opinion only... go with your responses as you look through various decks as they are presented here and in books and shops!

In the end, the best kind of deck is one you will want to use, study and work with!