If a card doesn't seem to fit the question

mysticangel_001

When dong a reading and you ask a specific question how do you interpret a card that doesn't seem to fit the question? i.e.
1) I ask what is the worst this relationship will go through and I get the Star. Should I see that as saying the relationship will go through periods of doubt and confusion or that there won't really be any "bad" times because both parties are optimistic and trusting?
2) I ask what would end a relationship and I get Queen Pentacles. Would I interpret that as saying that another woman, who fits those qualities, will break up the relationship or in consideration of the other cards, which are all very positive, that there isn't much of a chance of the relationship breaking up because it has all those qualities going for it?

rwcarter

Hi mysticangel,

For me, doubt and confusion are more the realm of the Moon. For me, the Star deals with hopes, so in a negative position, maybe it could be pointing to false hopes or delusions? So one person in the relationship may have unrealistic expectations about what the relationship is or will be.

As for the Queen Pentacles, it could be pointing to another woman. Since pentacles also deal with the body and I think of the QP as a sensual woman who is comfortable with her body and with sex, it might also point to sexual addiction or body issues for one of the people in the relationship.

In both instances, it's also possible that the tarot is saying exactly what you've seen.

A great exercise is to try to find negative meanings for cards that are normally seen as positive (like the Sun) and positive meanings for cards that are normally seen as negative (like the Devil).

HTH,
Rodney

mysticangel_001

Oh, those both make sense, I can see those working. So like to link the Star with the Knight of Swords (how so-and-so will react to something that is said by the quarent)...the Knight indicates conflict but also resolution to conflict, so in this case the Star could be saying that the quarent might be having false/delusional hopes in regards to how this will all work out?
And I can also see body image as being an issue as one is not comfortable with their body. Hmmm, very helpful, thank you.

cherryberry

humm I was wondering in regards to the question, as they 'suggest' a closed answer. Ie. by asking 'what will end the relationship' is suggesting that you already know that the r'ship WILL end. Now, I find when asking those sort of questions, as with Yes and No question, my deck doesnt respond to it very well. I cant always rely on the answers it gives me so I stepped back from it.

I actually had it that it ususally responded with the exact oppisite, of what happens ;) At first I thought its me who isnt reading it right but its more, that I am asking not the right questions. I limit the answer in the question. Not sure if your deck reacts the same ;) I found especially the Queen of Pents in that question telling as I usually read as - yes maybe another person, but more often as traits that we need to develop, or if we fail someone esle will come and do it for us.....So, your initial interpretation would be someone else outside their relationship, when it might be quite the opposite as a root issue.
Just my little thoughts :D

mysticangel_001

Yeah I suppose I was assuming there would be an ending, mainly due to how one person can't/won't leave well enough alone and keeps pushing for a response that the other doesn't appear to be ready/willing to give. I know that the readings are simply potential outcomes to a situation so I was trying to cover all bases, like asking what the worst (Star) and best (10 Pentacles) would be in this relationship and eventually what would end it (Queen Pentacles)? So it's kind of like...if you would just SHUT UP and leave it alone you've got a better chance than if you keep pushing. Why do people have to make love so complicated? *pouts*

And YES...I have the same problems with the YES/NO questions. I have about a 50/50 success rate on asking those so I try to steer clear of those whenever possible.

cherryberry said:
humm I was wondering in regards to the question, as they 'suggest' a closed answer. Ie. by asking 'what will end the relationship' is suggesting that you already know that the r'ship WILL end. Now, I find when asking those sort of questions, as with Yes and No question, my deck doesnt respond to it very well. I cant always rely on the answers it gives me so I stepped back from it.

I actually had it that it ususally responded with the exact oppisite, of what happens ;) At first I thought its me who isnt reading it right but its more, that I am asking not the right questions. I limit the answer in the question. Not sure if your deck reacts the same ;) I found especially the Queen of Pents in that question telling as I usually read as - yes maybe another person, but more often as traits that we need to develop, or if we fail someone esle will come and do it for us.....So, your initial interpretation would be someone else outside their relationship, when it might be quite the opposite as a root issue.
Just my little thoughts :D

Master_Margarita

I'm such a newbie that I always assume that, if the card doesn't seem to fit the question, I'm not looking deeply enough into the pattern of the cards.

le fey

I took 'what will end the relationship' less as a given that it will end as intending 'what would end the relationship' - ie, what is the greatest risk?

In trying to figure out cards that don't seem to match the question, I find it helpful to put it together as a sentence:

"The worst that this relationship might go through (card position/question) is too much dependence on hope (The Star)."

So what might cause that kind of situation? Possibly an attitude of always just hoping for things to turn out well instead of applying effort to it?

"What might bring about an end to this relationship (card position/question) is a focus on nurturing/developing material abundance at the expense of other aspects."

(Just an example of how the Queen of Pents could bring an end to the relationship - other possibilities I can think of would be another woman, a pregnancy, showing love by showering a person with gifts rather than other loving acts, etc.) Cross-posted - perhaps the Queen of Pents has to do with that sort of showering/smothering the other with attention to the point of overwhelming them?

mysticangel_001

Wow...that's good. I wish it was as easy for me to see the cards the way all of you do. It can be a real struggle for me sometimes to see past the "concrete" and see the subtler (sp?) meanings of the cards.
*stupid Autism*

le fey said:
I took 'what will end the relationship' less as a given that it will end as intending 'what would end the relationship' - ie, what is the greatest risk?

In trying to figure out cards that don't seem to match the question, I find it helpful to put it together as a sentence:

"The worst that this relationship might go through (card position/question) is too much dependence on hope (The Star)."

So what might cause that kind of situation? Possibly an attitude of always just hoping for things to turn out well instead of applying effort to it?

"What might bring about an end to this relationship (card position/question) is a focus on nurturing/developing material abundance at the expense of other aspects."

(Just an example of how the Queen of Pents could bring an end to the relationship - other possibilities I can think of would be another woman, a pregnancy, showing love by showering a person with gifts rather than other loving acts, etc.) Cross-posted - perhaps the Queen of Pents has to do with that sort of showering/smothering the other with attention to the point of overwhelming them?

rwcarter

mysticangel_001 said:
Wow...that's good. I wish it was as easy for me to see the cards the way all of you do. It can be a real struggle for me sometimes to see past the "concrete" and see the subtler (sp?) meanings of the cards.
*stupid Autism*
mysticangel,

I can guarantee you I didn't have an easy time understanding what the cards were trying to tell me when I first started up with Tarot cards 15 years ago. As with playing a musical instrument or learning a new skill, it's a matter of practice, practice, practice. And I still have my light bulb moments when someone posts a take on a card that I never thought of before.

These forums are great for being exposed to new ideas. Not everything will apply or be useful to you, so take what applies and leave to the side what doesn't.

Glad I could be of some help.

Rodney

mysticangel_001

Grrrrr! I've been doing this for about that long too (give or take a year). It's just be last year that I have been able to do the interpretations more by intuition than by reading what the book says. LOL
I am getting there though and yes, this forum has been a HUGE help to me in seeing different ways of seeing the cards...though I'm still confused over how the same card can have different meanings in different decks but I'll figure that out someday, too. LOL

rwcarter said:
mysticangel,

I can guarantee you I didn't have an easy time understanding what the cards were trying to tell me when I first started up with Tarot cards 15 years ago. As with playing a musical instrument or learning a new skill, it's a matter of practice, practice, practice. And I still have my light bulb moments when someone posts a take on a card that I never thought of before.

These forums are great for being exposed to new ideas. Not everything will apply or be useful to you, so take what applies and leave to the side what doesn't.

Glad I could be of some help.

Rodney