I'm rolling!!

Sonic

Ok it has been 5 days... rock report please :D

HearthCricket

Sonic said:
Ok it has been 5 days... rock report please :D

LOL No kidding. These are the most highly anticipated stones on this forum that I have ever known! I am dying to see pictures of them when they are done, or any during the process. Does all the sand and grit stuff come with the tumbler and if you use it up, does it tell you where to get more? Just curious...and curious of brand names, in case I finally get tempted to try this!

Sonic

I just picked up my rock tumbler this morning and I have the exact same questions as you! and now that I have the chance to tumble stones from Aruba in the upcoming weeks I need to get cracking with the stones that I currently have so I'm very excited to hear her progress report!

morticia monroe

Progress report

Day 7 of the first tumbling cycle was yesterday.

My instruction manual told me to tumble for a week, and then check the rocks to see if they were smooth enough. If you are not satisfied, then you put the rocks back into the tumbler with a fresh batch of grit. Apparently the grit loses it's abrasiveness and needs to be refreshed.

I took the barrel outside and removed the lid. So far, so good. The stones aren't completely round and smooth yet, but I actually LIKE the stones with some irregular edges, so decided to move on to the next phase of tumbling, which is to add a finer grit and tumble for another week.

I took some photos, although they aren't too clear. There are a few so-so's and a few that are absolutly gorgeous!

Sonic, since you bought a tumbler as well, I am going to post a site for tumbling enthusiasts that I found. It has given me a lot of information that did not come with the machine.
For instance- NEVER put the grit down a sink drain, and don't get it in your washing machine. The grit is like a cross between sand and cement, and it will destroy machine motors and clog pipes easily and efficiently.

Also- the site recommends that you purchase an extra barrel for your machine so that you can use one barrel for shaping, and one for polishing. The reason why is because any grit residue left in the barrel will prevent the rocks from taking the polish.

I can also see that the rubber ring that holds the lid on the barrel will need replacing, probably after a full batch goes through from beginning to end, so I'll be ordering more of those as well.

http://groups.msn.com/aeclecticstuff/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=42

http://groups.msn.com/aeclecticstuff/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=41

http://groups.msn.com/aeclecticstuff/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=39

http://groups.msn.com/aeclecticstuff/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=38

DISCLAIMER- I am obviously NOT a photographer. Sorry for the lack of sharpness.

However, my love has just shown me the setting to use for close-ups on my camera. The next round of photos will be much more clear.

These stones are run-of-the-mill variety. I didn't want to purchase anything too great until I did a few trial runs.

Furnacechant

And also don't do what my dad did once and mistake a bag of Plaster of Paris for the bag of polishing compound...Made an interesting little rock-studded column statue, though! ;)

memries

They are coming along very nicely and in fact look super. I cannot wait to see the finished product. Hang in there !

HearthCricket

They truly are coming along! I look forward to seeing them rounded, now, and what other surprises arise when they are finished! I do see what you mean about liking them partially polished, too. Some of the stones I buy have both rough angles as well as smooth parts to them, and it gives them an interesting character!

floracove

Oh this is wonderful morticia monroe!
The stones look lovely, and I'm not sure what more you might do than love them, but I know the crystals you sent to me, had some really strong vibrations. I've just sat and held them soaking in the goodness. Thanks!

My nephew got a rock tumbler for Christmas last year, and had them going the last time I was at his house. Later this year, while I was visiting, I asked about his rocks. Seems someone had taken the unit while it was working out in the garage while the family was in town one day. Poor fellow was so upset.

He's always loved stones and crystals, I always pick him out some of the one's I get in trading and share with him. He's a cool little dude. Really upset me that someone would just snatch his tumbler from him. But we'll get him another...

Anyway, enjoy your tumbler, I know your stones love you.

Elnor

morticia monroe, I really like that green-ish rock with the speckles in the second photo... is that moss agate? It's really come out well!

It's too annoying- my computer has just this week decided it doesn't 'recognise' my digital camera attachment, (although I shouldn't complain- for 2 weeks it didn't 'recognise' it's internet connection :confused:) and I wanted to upload some photos of some of my favourite stones, that I've picked up from three different mountains that have deep connotations for me.

I gave them a bit of a polish with wet & dry sandpaper, just to smooth them a little, and then I oiled them. They now sit on my shrine in the formation of a small mountain range... if and when 'pooter decides to connect to camera I'll post pics of them- along with the FAB piece of labradorite my sis got me for Yule.

I agree with what you said- although in my case I'd rather have a bit of nice turquoise ANY day over a diamond... and certainly over shoes! (My old paddock boots are still holding up nicely. :laugh:)

I love my rocks and crystals. Glad I'm not the only one. :D

elnor