Insight on a card I just learned. Romantic King of Cups

Grizabella

I've been using the Lo Scarabeo Romantic deck and for the King of Cups, they've portrayed a Sikh gentleman with the turban and nice beard. I've always wondered about what the Sikh thing was about.

Yesterday I accidentally found a youtube video explaining what Sikh is and why the turban, beard and sword. I had watched a Sikh wedding ceremony out of curiosity and the Sikh link was from that.

Turns out that the Sikh religion is Hindu. The beard, sword, and turban are like a uniform. They're intended to be a way of telling people on sight that if they're in danger, especially women, they can turn to the Sikh for help. Also, they wear long hair and beards because they believe hair is like an antennae to the spiritual world. That's similar to Native American belief and is why I don't cut my hair. The guy went on to explain that by putting a man's hair up on the head enclosed in a turban, it directs the spiritual connection in somewhat the same way a magneto (I think that's the term) is copper wire wrapped onto a spool to concentrate electrical energy rather than just letting a bunch of wires lie around separately. (I'm terrible at explaining things like this.) I thought I'd share that insight. I thought it was very interesting and now this particular card in this deck is more meaningful in readings on my part.

nisaba

I knew that about Sikhs (didn't know about the Sword, haven't seen Sikhs carrying swords), and the fact that it's come onto a deck in that context is interesting. :)

Grizabella

I thought so, too. I only saw a very ornate sword that was used in the wedding ceremony in the video I watched. I've never seen a Sikh carrying one so maybe those are just for special occasions. I doubt they actually carry one around.

danieljuk

Sikhism is a religion, it's different from being Hindu. Both are religions and people in India but Hinduism is from very old traditions and has idols and rituals. Sikhism does not believe in ritual or idols but also has temples, they have some festivals on the same day but they quite different. Sikhism also always radically rejected the caste system of the Punjab (a state in Northern Indian, where it started).

Sikhism reminds me a lot of Native American people in many ways. The UK has a history with the Sikhs because of the Indian Empire and the Sikhs had a good relationship with the colonial Brits and many served in the military here in World War One and Two. Although the Brits accidentally massacred them at one point and also refused to give them their own state but still they were allies to us. Sikh Men have a reputation of being warriors in history and they always have small sword on them and don't cut their hair.

There is a big Sikh area near me and there was some Sikh boys in my school, I was sad that one of them cut his hair when he got to 16 and rebelled from his family. The place where Sikh's worship is called a Gurdwara and they have a history of charity. In the hard economic times here, many have opened food banks and serve food for free outside. So there is a kindness to people outside their own religion and support.

Back to the card I totally could see the King of Cups as the traditional Sikh Man archetype. I think a lot of sword and stuff and strong man type image is ceremonial, in the end they are kind and compassionate as perhaps the archetype.

Debra

The tradition is to carry a small curved dagger, women as well as men.

There's a strong Sikh community in New Mexico. Because of their self-discipline, commitment, integrity, honesty and courage, they've had great success in the security business. Frankly, the subculture seems more like the virtuous aspects of swords to me--noble warriors.

Cocobird55

The Sikh information is interesting. i love going off on tangents like that and learning about stuff. So much easier with the web.

Grizabella

Thank you Daniel and Debra!

Daniel, I don't know why I thought they were Hindu. I thought I heard the guy say that, but maybe he said something about Hinduism and I mistook what he said. I want to keep learning more about Sikhs because I find it very interesting when I stumble across anything new. Well, new to me, anyway.

There is (or maybe was) a Sikh air force pilot in India who looked a lot like the man in the King of Cups card in the Romantic deck. He didn't wear the turban when he was test-flying the jet in the video documentary, but he looked so handsome and distinguished in his turban and his very well-kept and trimmed beard before he did the test flight and had his turban on

As Debra said, the women also wear a turban but I think they said it's called a kaur. (As all can see, I didn't remember everything right from the video so I might be wrong about that.) Anyway, I didn't know about the dagger. for women. And that's very interesting about the men carrying a dagger in everyday life.

Thoughtful

l have been on the fence about buying the Romantic Tarot but have now just ordered it. All your fault griz :joke:
Your observation and Debra's on the King of Cups and the Sikh connection did it for me. Its given me a much richer take on the King of Cups.
Waiting to see what the Knight of cups reveals now.

nisaba

I thought so, too. I only saw a very ornate sword that was used in the wedding ceremony in the video I watched. I've never seen a Sikh carrying one so maybe those are just for special occasions. I doubt they actually carry one around.

Probably in the countries you and I live in, they are prevented by law. Around here, we can't carry blades at all, obvious or concealed (which is *exactly* why I do!) In countries that are less fearful and have a culture of teaching respect for blades, perhaps it's different.

AraLuck

I've been using the Lo Scarabeo Romantic deck and for the King of Cups, they've portrayed a Sikh gentleman with the turban and nice beard. I've always wondered about what the Sikh thing was about.

Yesterday I accidentally found a youtube video explaining what Sikh is and why the turban, beard and sword. I had watched a Sikh wedding ceremony out of curiosity and the Sikh link was from that.

Turns out that the Sikh religion is Hindu. The beard, sword, and turban are like a uniform. They're intended to be a way of telling people on sight that if they're in danger, especially women, they can turn to the Sikh for help. Also, they wear long hair and beards because they believe hair is like an antennae to the spiritual world. That's similar to Native American belief and is why I don't cut my hair. The guy went on to explain that by putting a man's hair up on the head enclosed in a turban, it directs the spiritual connection in somewhat the same way a magneto (I think that's the term) is copper wire wrapped onto a spool to concentrate electrical energy rather than just letting a bunch of wires lie around separately. (I'm terrible at explaining things like this.) I thought I'd share that insight. I thought it was very interesting and now this particular card in this deck is more meaningful in readings on my part.

My two cents (living in India) - the majority of the most high-ranking officers in the Indian Army are Sikhs. This is in fact related to this notion of discipline and sacrifice which seems to be inherent in their culture. Incidentally, they are referred to as 'Sardar' in the local lingo and this is sometimes considered offensive.

The Sikhs have a complex history. They were mass murdered in Delhi (and elsewhere) in 1984, after the assassination of Prime Minister Indira Gandhi (who was in turn killed by her own Sikh body guards). This led to another complex retaliation exercise (Operation Blue Star) leading to even more deaths... and which in the end just gave them a strange status in India. Almost feared. I am not Indian, but this is the sense I get living here.