Intensive Deck Study (IDS) Support Lounge ~ Part IV

zan_chan

2_Journey said:
I have this crazy idea that over the course of 2010, I want to explore each fairytale in more detail, learn about and around it more, and writing is my favorite hobby and method of personal experssion. So, for January, I'll expand the fairytale on January's card into a short story, and then Febuary, and so on. By the end of the year, I'll hopefully have 13 short stories written (one for the intial reading, 12 for the 12 months in the year), and a much deeper understanding of the fairytales that came up as well as how the deck will work for me.

That's the plan, anyway. What do you think? I'm open to suggestions! :)

I think that sounds like an awesome idea. Study the cards and have a reason to write-- all in one. The Fairytale really is the perfect deck for that kind of exercise. I think that if I were to try something similar with the Haindl, the stories would end up being so bleak and insane that it could be adverse to my, a reader's, or <gasp> Hermann's health.

Hermann and I are moving along swimmingly, as usual. I'm just about finished with that biography of Chief Seattle that I had been working on. Still trying to decide what to move on to next. "The Egyptian Book of the Dead" is one choice, as is von Eschenbach's epic "Parzival". Hmm, also have a very interesting-sounding book called "The Hebrew Alphabet: A Mystical Journey" on its way today (my grandmother would be so proud!).

Anyway, lots of wonderful (and appropriately intensive) studying to do. And 12 days off from work now to enjoy doing it! I do really love this IDS approach; taking to a deck as if it were the subject of a master's thesis, reading everything you can on the subject, and compiling this vast interior knowledge base. Yet rather than wind-up feeling cold and scholarly towards your deck, you bond with it to such an amazingly deep extent. I think that in a similar manner to Hunter's altar, or victoria.star's tactile affection towards her deck, my affection towards the Haindl is this act of trying to study it, in the old fashioned academic sense, as well as I possibly can do, and truly enjoy the process.

I've been thinking that posting my Haindl reading-list somewhere (in the study group, I suppose) could be a good idea. Just the preliminary research of sorting out all the different topics involved, and hunting down the relevant resources has been endeavor enough to not want to see it stop at aiding just myself.

Now its only yet about 7am on my first day off, house is still and quiet, and I'm off to read.

Happy studying everyone :)

SolSionnach

Just thought I'd pop in and throw some info at you guys, before I throw the spread that I owe Rodney, and get on with my Xmas preparations...
Cat* said:
I just spent an hour or so googling for "lion cave painting" but didn't find anything even remotely close to the creature on the Seer's cloak.
It's from the Le Trois Freres cave in Ariege, France.

You guys should look up the book "the Myth of the Goddess" by Anne Baring and Jules Cashford ISBN 0-670-83564-1 (Hardback version) I got this book originally in paperback, and looked up the HB version because I loved it so much.

The lion is on p. 30 in my edition. The text reads
In Les Trois Freres the lioness is given the most prominent place directly facing the one who approaches the innermost sanctuary of the cave. As the most ferocious animal and the "King and Queen of the Beasts", the lion as the guardian would have commanded most respect. Unlike the other animals (i.e. painted on the walls), this lioness is not engraved in profile, but confronts head on. With the startling impact of her eyes she appears to be challenging the one about to enter the sacred cave, as though guarding the mysteries against the uninitiated.
Note: there are some accents in the name of the cave and the town, I can't figure out how to do them on this keyboard.

BelovedK

So, I am studying the Empress in the Bohemian Gothic deck. I guess I'd love some suggestions on how to go deeper. I've written about the card in my journal, and read from the BG companion book. I guess I could write a story based on the card, hmm. I just reached a point today where I felt like I had reached completion. (I know there is sooo much more to this card though) I guess I just am looking for a springboard of suggestions to get me going. This IDS is going to be good for me as I tend to be a bit ADD with the cards lol.

The Guided Hermit

Hello everyone!

Ah, so many decks...but what has caught my attention over the past few weeks is my Tarot of the Spirit deck. With a foundation in RWS, the cards in this deck were, at first, a bit out there for me and I had difficulty in getting much out of the images.

This was/is a blessing for me, as I then bought the 400+ page Tarot of the Spirit book. Opening this beautiful book immediately induced a satori moment for me; suddenly, things went bing bang boom and I "got it." The lovely part is that what I am learning from this book isn't limited to this deck. I feel as if the training wheels have come off and I am no longer knowing/recognizing a card only by its image or by a bullet point descriptor. I've found that my intuitive and interpretive skills have advanced from this deck/book.

Therefore, I would love to delve deeper into this deck. In fact, I was/am so impressed with this deck, last week I bought another copy of the deck as a backup just in case the deck should ever go OOP and I just in case I should ever wear my regular down to a fistful of paper fibers.

I'm looking forward to learning from & with you all.

rwcarter

The Guided Hermit,

I've had this deck (and companion book) since the early 90's and still haven't managed to delve into either one yet. But the last two years (2009 and 2008) at SF BATS (San Francisco Bay Are Tarot Symposium), I've taken seminars with Pamela Eakins and her energy and love for her deck make me want to use it. One thing I didn't know about the deck is that all the art is drawn with the Tree of Life in mind. That ball of yellow in the middle of the Earth Sister is Tipareth. I bought an overlay from Pam to aid me in identifying the sephirot whenever I get around to working with the deck.

So I'll be especially interested in hearing how you get along with the deck.

Rodney

rwcarter

Knitting took a front seat today, so I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped (like my IDS reading....), but I did manage to post on both the Fool and the Magician to the Study Group. In addition to my study of the deck, I'm also posting my notes and observations from the workbook that I worked on from Aug 91 - Mar 92.

Rodney

thorhammer

Guided Hermit ~ Welcome :heart: I shall add you to the list momentarily :)

I'm hoping to get some readings done with my deck tonight, if I'm not too tired when I get back to Perth. I've been up since 2am, so it's not looking good. Takeaway for dinner, I think :D and another early night. I was in bed before the sun last night :|

And then I'm on holidays! I'm aiming to get into something of a routine with both journalling (non-tarot-related) and studying my deck more closely while I've got some time to myself. I also really have to get some writing, revising and reading done! It's gonna be a busy few weeks!

\m/ Kat

Kissa

hello kiddos :p

the world has become a weird place lately.
After years of wandering, collecting, hoping for MY one and only deck, i just came back to Pixie. I am lucky enough to have an old AGM edition, matte finish, honestly a pure joy to handle. To confuse me even more, I noticed I not only not dislike the tartan backs but i also actually enjoy them. Pervert, ain't it? My only tiny problem is that my deck is in French, which means i don't have Pixie's lovely calligraphy on them.

Anyhow... Many many years ago a bunch of nice crazy people created the One Deck Wonder group which was the ancestor of this very IDS. I loved the name... "One deck wonder"...
So there i go, i'm having a very serious monogamic affair with my old Rider Waite in French with ugly backs. I am going to order Rachel Pollack's Tarot Wisdom book, i am not sure i can commit to the "21 ways to read" group/program/book at the time, so i won't purchase that book immediately.

I have a Commemorative RWS waiting for me in the post office so maybe i'll do the study with it but i will read with my old AG Mueller that feels like heaven.

Well, i still need to write a nice "commitment letter" but i just wanted to share now ;-)

I'm glad to be here with you, btw :)

K

BelovedK

BelovedK said:
So, I am studying the Empress in the Bohemian Gothic deck. I guess I'd love some suggestions on how to go deeper. I've written about the card in my journal, and read from the BG companion book. I guess I could write a story based on the card, hmm. I just reached a point today where I felt like I had reached completion. (I know there is sooo much more to this card though) I guess I just am looking for a springboard of suggestions to get me going. This IDS is going to be good for me as I tend to be a bit ADD with the cards lol.
I think my post got lost and skipped :eek: I am just needing ideas as a springboard, maybe someone can help. Today I am going to write a short story/essay about this woman. I just feel like I could be doing more.

jcwirish

Hi Kissa,

Great to have you here with us. I think those backs are alright myself. How come everyone hates them so much? I'm so glad everyone is staying so committed here. It's keeping me on track. So, come join the party and have fun!