Interesting Dynamic

Barleywine

I did a GT for my wife today, using the Gilded Reverie (see attachment).

It's generally a happy time for her, with our son getting married in early May, and some of that shows in the spread. But my wife's single biggest problem right now is that her one close local friendship (other than her sister who lives nearby) has begun to unravel; we suspect it's because of the subversive intervention of her overbearing, manipulative husband. The spread didn't specifically target that issue (it started more as a general life-reading), but it was the first thing that jumped out.

The "friend" card (Dog) sits just to the left of the Lady card, separated only by the Whip. It's surrounded by the Scythe and the Cross in addition to the Whip, and the Mice, the Clouds, the Fox and the Snake aren't far away (with the Clouds and the Snake knighting to the Dog). There doesn't seem to be anywhere comforting for her friend to turn. This woman has developed a habit of crying on my wife's shoulder, literally crying and venting bitterly about her unhappy marital situation. She's been clamoring for advice but my wife has been careful to stay out of the middle, telling her only to follow her heart and do what's best for herself. Her husband is 17 years older and has her convinced that he has to control every aspect of their lives. We think she may have let slip that she's been confiding in my wife, and he's gotten even more vindictive. Note that the Dog also knights to the Heart, but it only gets there through the involvement of the Lady, who is feeling put-upon by the Dog-Whip dynamic right now.

Interestingly, the Gentleman card sits directly above the Lady card, my wife's significator, separated only by the Fox and the Snake. The only other man in her immediate vicinity is me, and I'm not going to pull any "Fox/Snake" stuff on her, so we believe it's showing her friend's husband. I noticed that the Gentleman knights to the Mice and the Cross, suggesting that these are part of his "intimidation toolbox" (undermining and "guilt-tripping") since they form part of the "palisade of fear" surrounding the Dog. The Lady sits at the intersection of the Gentleman and the Dog lines, so staying out of the middle of their dilemma may be difficult. This is a toxic relationship, and my wife has been trying to edge away as gracefully as possible since the friendship is becoming a strain and a burden (Whip and Cross adjacent). The more positive cards to the right and below the Lady, moving away from the uniform negativity of the left-and-above region, appear to offer some relief.

The ultimate solution will be for us to move out of the area, which we've been planning to do for a couple of years (well before these events) but we can't do it for another year: the Mountain is in a strategic location in my wife's "future" line, between the Crossroads and the Storks, so the promise offered by the Bouquet and the Crossroads is "on hold" for the moment. Moving will be a blissful family event because it will put us much closer to our son and what he's been calling "the inevitable grandchild," as well as bringing us some equity money from the sale of our present home. The Heart, the Lilies, the Child and the Fish in the "destiny" line immediately below the Lady seem to capture all of this.

Regarding the "friend" aspect of the reading, does anyone see anything significant beyond what I mentioned?

Attachments

• DSCN1307.jpg
    DSCN1307.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 72

Padma

Hey Barleywine. :) I read in the direction of where the Lady looks, so I am looking to her left as the future.

That block of Scythe, Cross, Dog, Whip looks to me like the friendship coming to a sudden end due to anger. Your wife may well lose her patience, and say some angry words to the martyr-like friend, thus ending the friendship.

Key and Moon are around Gentleman, so that indicates you, I believe. This is saying all is well in her marriage. The Fox/Snake below that is the troublesome woman, I believe. So what this is reflecting (to me) is that the two prominent people in her life right now are you and this woman.

House and Key up in the top corner show a new house is indeed on the horizon, but as they are farther away, it may be delayed somewhat.

Going diagonally, House/Clouds/Snake/Bouquet/Child to me indicate that while there are difficulties surrounding her at home, (the woman) the engagement of your son is pleasing and is a future event she looks forward to.

Four corners are House/Book and Sun/Dog and so to me that indicates a house she doesn't know about yet, and that it brings you both much joy.

Just some thoughts, I hope they help. :)

DownUnderNZer

Just seen it is not friend - so edited to delete. :)

I did a GT for my wife today, using the Gilded Reverie (see
attachment).

It's generally a happy time for her, with our son getting married in early May, and some of that shows in the spread. But my wife's single biggest problem right now is that her one close local friendship (other than her sister who lives nearby) has begun to unravel; we suspect it's because of the subversive intervention of her overbearing, manipulative husband. The spread didn't specifically target that issue (it started more as a general life-reading), but it was the first thing that jumped out.

The "friend" card (Dog) sits just to the left of the Lady card, separated only by the Whip. It's surrounded by the Scythe and the Cross in addition to the Whip, and the Mice, the Clouds, the Fox and the Snake aren't far away (with the Clouds and the Snake knighting to the Dog). There doesn't seem to be anywhere comforting for her friend to turn. This woman has developed a habit of crying on my wife's shoulder, literally crying and venting bitterly about her unhappy marital situation. She's been clamoring for advice but my wife has been careful to stay out of the middle, telling her only to follow her heart and do what's best for herself. Her husband is 17 years older and has her convinced that he has to control every aspect of their lives. We think she may have let slip that she's been confiding in my wife, and he's gotten even more vindictive. Note that the Dog also knights to the Heart, but it only gets there through the involvement of the Lady, who is feeling put-upon by the Dog-Whip dynamic right now.

Interestingly, the Gentleman card sits directly above the Lady card, my wife's significator, separated only by the Fox and the Snake. The only other man in her immediate vicinity is me, and I'm not going to pull any "Fox/Snake" stuff on her, so we believe it's showing her friend's husband. I noticed that the Gentleman knights to the Mice and the Cross, suggesting that these are part of his "intimidation toolbox" (undermining and "guilt-tripping") since they form part of the "palisade of fear" surrounding the Dog. The Lady sits at the intersection of the Gentleman and the Dog lines, so staying out of the middle of their dilemma may be difficult. This is a toxic relationship, and my wife has been trying to edge away as gracefully as possible since the friendship is becoming a strain and a burden (Whip and Cross adjacent). The more positive cards to the right and below the Lady, moving away from the uniform negativity of the left-and-above region, appear to offer some relief.

The ultimate solution will be for us to move out of the area, which we've been planning to do for a couple of years (well before these events) but we can't do it for another year: the Mountain is in a strategic location in my wife's "future" line, between the Crossroads and the Storks, so the promise offered by the Bouquet and the Crossroads is "on hold" for the moment. Moving will be a blissful family event because it will put us much closer to our son and what he's been calling "the inevitable grandchild," as well as bringing us some equity money from the sale of our present home. The Heart, the Lilies, the Child and the Fish in the "destiny" line immediately below the Lady seem to capture all of this.

Regarding the "friend" aspect of the reading, does anyone see anything significant beyond what I mentioned?

Barleywine

Thanks, Padma! There has been a new wrinkle in the situation that matches well with your insights. I'll get to that in a moment.

I got my early Lenormand learning from andybc, both here and from his book. He doesn't use "facing" or any kind of past/present/future timeline, just "distance," "above-and-below" and the "quarters" (as in bottom-right is more positive than upper-left, which is in turn more positive than lower-left). So I was looking at the surrounding cards more in that light.

What's happened is that my wife's closest sister - for many years her "best friend" - has started annoyingly trying to "worm" (or "snake" or "fox") her way into my wife's private affairs, under the guise of family pleasantries. She's made my wife so angry that she blocked her on Facebook and won't return her phone calls. There is a hidden agenda here; her sister and her husband are Christian fundamentalists and he is an ordained lay-minister and newly-minted church elder (and pretty full of himself about it). They have been trying to subtly persuade (or "snake" or "fox") my wife into championing him as the officiating clergyman at our son's wedding. But his wedding ceremonies are grim affairs, full of Old Testament admonishments about the wife being subservient and dutiful to the husband, with very little reciprocity. In short, not a glimmer of joy in any of it (we saw him in action at a niece's recent wedding - truly scary stuff). My son and his fiancee want no part of him, and neither do we; it's a veiled bone of contention between the sisters right now. So the "facing" indicates that this has all of my wife's attention at the moment.

Thanks for the input on the house; we're talking more and more lately about how good a move would be, not just as a life enhancement but also to get her far away from her sister, who lives locally here.

Padma

Ah! In that case, House/Clouds/Snake would be the trying times with the sister (House indicating relatives, perhaps?) and Bouquet and Child would indicate it is about your son's wedding.

It seems your wife is indeed undergoing trying times at the moment...

I will have to look into Andy BC's course, once I am all settled in after this move. :)

ETA Cross and Snake may well indicate the religious sister. Rider and Bear = interfering or overbearing sister visiting. Bouquet/Crossroads/Mountain sister's choice of husband officiating at wedding is blocked;improved or better choice is made (Storks/Book - reading the Book as a bible here) Diagonal of Mice/Cross might be the annoyances over the religious aspect; and is the sister older than your wife? (Lilies, older family member).