Introduction to Pagan and Wicca : need your advices

Kissa

Hi all,

I have been reading your messages about wicca and paganism. Now I would like to read some books about these but I don't know where to begin with, it is such a jungle out there on Amazon ;)

Could you give me the names of the books you liked the most ? the ones which inspired you ?

Thanks very much in advance, I am sure the advices I will get from you about paganism and wicca will be as good as the ones I got about tarot decks for example !!!

Take care !

Karen aka Kissa

Hush

buckland and cunningham. theyre great (for basics at least)

get your hands on everything you can, its best to get an as wider range of traiditions, opinions and beliefs as you can, then you can really develop.

dont dismiss any author, and dont follow any author like they know it all. take it all in and make your own choices.

blessed be :)

Kiama

I found 'HedgeWitch' by Rae Beth extremely absorbing, inspiring, and informative. If you want a look at the Celtic traditin, go for anything by the Matthews. (John or Caitlin, or both! They've done loads of excellent books....)

I would second Scott Cunningham's books, and if you want to have a quick peek at Druidry, maybe something by Emma Restall Orr...

For Italian or 'home-made' Witchcraft, go for Raven Grimassi, and for a wonderful read about heriditary Witchcraft, and about the origins of Wicca in the New Forest in England (I LIVE 15 MINS AWAY FROM THERE!!! :) ) read Sybil Leek's 'A Diary Of A Witch'.

Can't think of anything else right now....

Hope this helped!

Kiama

Martin

Hello!

I wouldn't reccomend Cunninghams books personally, they are very non descript, and although they may once have been all there was, there are a great many authors who can do what he did a lot better. To be honest I don't see why beginner book has to equate with lack of content, if you're not willing to put in the effort at the beginning it's not worth starting at all.

I personally find his work dull, trite and completely lacking in any sensible discussion of wicca or witchcraft. He covers very little basic knowledge, such as the elements which are a basic building block of this path, and his descriptions of the working tools are so vague as to be useless.

Time and money is much better spent on Elen Hawke's In The Circle, and follow up, Sacred Round, and I would also suggest Triumph of the Moon by Ron Hutton for an appreciation of the history of modern pagan witchcraft (there really is no other kind, despite the fantasies of many wiccan authors).

After that it's a case of widening your interests, perhaps studying cultures, the works of people like Agrippa, Crowley etc (without whom wicca wouldn't really be) and other areas.

I hope this is of some help, if not feel free to e-mail me on:

m.p.duffy@lineone.net@lineone.net

Martin

(and I expect the backlash for critising Cunningham!)

Greenman

Cunningham is not so bad as far as a beginner's guide goes. but it is just that, and to many people seem to go no farther.
Buckland i'm not so crazy about, as i find him to be very patriarchal and doesn't provide the sense of balance that i require from my path.
one of my favorite beginner books is Marion Green's 'A Witch Alone'. lots of stuff about ethics, and NO fluff.
another favorite is 'West Country Wicca' by Rhiannon Ryall. this is no 'new age' book, but a view of pre-Gardnerian Pagan life in a small English village. very refreshing, and a good warm read.
and there are many more. everyone has their favorites. but the best thing you can do to get an understanding of what Wicca is all about is to go out into the woods by yourself, find a friendly old tree to sit under, and just listen. let the Goddess guide you, even if Llewellyn doesn't have the copyright on Her. ultimately this is where ALL the stuff you will read came from anyway (or so the publishers would have you believe).
learn to meditate, and let the answers come to you.
and good luck on your new path. there are many wonders waiting for you.
peace.

catlin

Apart from the books already mentioned, I'd recommend D. Conway's "Celtic Magic" and "True Magic" by Amber K both very readable books for beginners and both available at amazon at about 7 ? each.

Kissa

Quote:Originally posted by Greenman
but the best thing you can do to get an understanding of what Wicca is all about is to go out into the woods by yourself, find a friendly old tree to sit under, and just listen. let the Goddess guide you, even if Llewellyn doesn't have the copyright on Her. ultimately this is where ALL the stuff you will read came from anyway (or so the publishers would have you believe).
learn to meditate, and let the answers come to you.
and good luck on your new path. there are many wonders waiting for you.
peace.

I loved that and I think it really put things in order in my mind, kind of "take it easy mate, it comes when it has to come, naturally when you are ready". I was ready to make my homework with many books and now I want to take some time as you said to make real contact with the Earth and whatever divinities hide in there ....

Still, I guess I'll have to get some of the books you all recommended, once I am soaked wet (wonderful finnish spring ...) and swear that I'll never go out anymore ;)

Thanks !

Karen

Mermaid

And don't forget Starhawk! A lot of 'The Spiral Dance' is a wee bit dated now, but it's still a Pagan classic.

Happy Mabon everyone!
Mermaid

jade

march 28th 1993 is the anniversary of scott cunninghams death.

he was and still is a great teacher for seekers of the path.

in light,
jade

arizonagirl

Scott's books were the first I read when I started on my Wiccan path. I still find them useful (tho I know most by heart now).

Another author that I have gotten a lot of information from is Ann Moura aka Aoumiel - Green Witchcraft.