Intuition Discussion Launched from Key Word Thread

intothemusic

I know this is an unpopular perspective, but a lot of what people call 'intuition' consists of personal assumptions, beliefs, opinions and prejudices. Studies have shown (see Gerd Gigerenzer, Director of the Max Planck Institute for Human Development, among many other researchers) that most intuitions are right about 50% of the time. The percentage goes up with trained intuition (both in a related field and in using one's intuition) and with 'rules of thumb' that act as feedback and confirmation points. Much of what is called 'intuition' are information and impressions picked up subconsciously and assembled into a recognizable pattern at lightning speed. Intuition has the advantage of being the fastest way to get from A to Z without having to laboriously go through all the letters in between.

If messages from Spirit or G-d were always correct then shouldn't we all be listening to those fundamentalist preachers who claim a direct line to a Divinity that speaks for all humankind? Or is each person's g-d unique and in competition with all the other g-ds/Spirits? And, if so, how do we know that our message is relevant to the client who obviously has a different unique Spirit of their own?

Tehuti - I do believe intuition is 100% accurate. Just like the cards are 100% accurate if used properly. What gets in the way of the intuition is the inability to separate the ego from the intuitive information. What gets in the way of interpreting the cards accurately is the mind/ego as well. Those fundamental preachers are often egomaniacs - preaching their 'thoughts' and what they believe is 'god's word' when it's really just their egos. And they all eventually fall.

When I do readings, I don't believe i'm sharing MY message with the client. I believe I am simply a messenger or a conduit for their own guidance. And the information I receive is what they are meant to know from their spirits/guidance in order to help them on their path. Because that's really my only goal. To help. If my goal was anything other than that, I would not be able to do what i do for much longer!

Village Witch

I do believe intuition is 100% accurate. Just like the cards are 100% accurate if used properly. What gets in the way of the intuition is the inability to separate the ego from the intuitive information. What gets in the way of interpreting the cards accurately is the mind/ego as well. Those fundamental preachers are often egomaniacs - preaching their 'thoughts' and what they believe is 'god's word' when it's really just their egos. And they all eventually fall.

When I do readings, I don't believe i'm sharing MY message with the client. I believe I am simply a messenger or a conduit for their own guidance. And the information I receive is what they are meant to know from their spirits/guidance in order to help them on their path. Because that's really my only goal. To help. If my goal was anything other than that, I would not be able to do what i do for much longer!

Excellent post.

As an Atheist, I cannot say where the "source" of my readings comes from. As a psychic/medium, at times I try and put my own spin on the answers/visions if they are not clear or do not come easily. That is where I fail myself and my client. What I see or interpret may not make sense to me, but it always... so far... makes sense to the client.

All I know is, as you say... I am a messenger/conduit for the client.

Barleywine

A great many readers are very definitive about what the client should (and even must) do, sometimes even when the cards seem to indicate something quite different (because Spirit is giving them a message).

If Sylvia Brown were to tell me that my missing child is dead, should I believe her?

Since Sylvia Brown died last November, if you found her telling you anything directly, it might make you rethink your thoughts on spirit.

On to the subject: telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do seems like a risky proposition to me. Few of us are professional psychologists or trained, credentialed counselors, more importantly with malpractice insurance and deep enough pockets to withstand legal action by a disgruntled client who took some kind of disastrous action based on our recommendation. Most of us are just compassionate people with some small gift for helping others along the path to self-understanding. I'm probably an anachronism in that I only read for people who are in the room with me, so I'm able to engage them in handling the deck, and to tell them that I'm not going to read their cards, the cards are going to read them, and I'm going to help them understand what the cards are trying to tell them about themselves and their situation. Then, I don't advise or prescribe, I simply inform and suggest how they might experience the influences present in the spread. This puts the responsibility for acting or not acting squarely on the querent. Other than those who are motivationally paralyzed and helpless to manage their own lives (and who should be seeing a mental health professional anyway, not a tarot reader), most healthy people given the opportunity and the right information seem to want to confront and conquer their own demons.

Nina*

Let me get this right.... we shouldn't believe our gut feeling, or a clairvoyant. But we SHOULD believe in pieces of cardboard?

Oooookay.

intothemusic

So a self-proclaimed clairvoyant reader, who seems to be filled with a loving heart and goodwill, tells me I am a being of love and light, and that I am being held back from doing my true life's work by a difficult partner who is struggling along a different path
let's say I've drawn Birds-Whip-Man-Crossroads-Stars
and that Spirit says that although there will always be love between us, I must leave this man to manifest my highest potential.

We have a situation of:
#1 - The reader seems to be genuinely coming from a place of loving kindness and helpfulness.
#2 - it is accurate in that my partner and I are having problems and some of our interests lie in different areas. The situation is not violent in any way and we deeply care for each other.
#3 - the facts are essentially accurate although not dire, but I won't know if the message to leave this man is right or not (and I may never know no matter what choice I make).

These are not idle questions. I come across this kind of thing ALL THE TIME - well-meaning people with the best of intentions). A great many readers are very definitive about what the client should (and even must) do, sometimes even when the cards seem to indicate something quite different (because Spirit is giving them a message).

If Sylvia Brown were to tell me that my missing child is dead, should I believe her?

A reader should never tell anyone what they should do or not do. The client will often ask: "what should i do?" And if i ever reply, I simply say "well, if it was me personally... i'd do this. but you have to follow your own instincts and do what feels right for you." That's not a spiritual message - that's me talking as me!

But literally just a couple weeks ago I had to deal with an intense situation. I had a guy come in. He wanted to know what was happening with him and his wife. I told him that unfortunately I saw a separation. He was like "WHAT? we are working on our marriage!" He was actually insulted that I saw a separation.

I really wanted to be wrong. I'd rather be wrong then be right in these kinds of situations. So I asked the lenormand cards, they confirmed, ring tower. Yep.

Then I decided to do a playing card spread - I saw that his wife, was involved with a man at work and it came with the 4 of diamonds - which i view as infidelity. I wasn't going to tell him this. Because he didn't ask.

The next second, the guy asked me if he thought his wife had anyone else. I said, well, now that you ask, "here's what I see etc etc" He freaked out. He told me that this was a past situation. And that yes, i am accurate, but this already happened and she's no longer seeing this guy. It's over. I told him I knew the difference between past and present, but i'm very open to making a mistake.

And the ONLY thing i said - (because it was so loud in my ear) was..."you might want to check her phone." He told me he always checks her phone and he's checking her phone right now and there's nothing there. So I just said well if you do find something and i do hope i am wrong - i'd be glad to look into this for you again at no charge.

He said "thanks for your time." I felt weird about the whole reading.

A few days later - he emails me again. i just asked him how he was. He then said - I'm very sorry. I said "for what?" and he replied that he found the texts and they said "good morning babe. i love you so much" from the same guy at work. Ugh.

So i agreed to meet with him again. He was devastated and proceeded to tell me how all these psychics told him "she was in love with him. she had no other man. he should work on the marriage." He asked me what he should do. I told him, very simply, "I cannot tell you what you should or shouldn't do. I will say I feel you should discuss this with some family members. And I feel you should know you are a great guy, and you deserve the very best." He told me another psychic told him she will be "fixed with marriage counseling. because her issues are from her past" He asked me what i thought of that... no comment.

He's decided on his own to seek a divorce. (which in my personal opinion was a good move as I didn't feel a compatibility with them - but again that wasn't my place to state) Although he did just email me asking if i would meet with her to help her be a better person. hehe. No thanks!

But anyway-- just because you're light with a good heart. Doesn't mean your good. Just because you're psychic, doesn't mean you're always right. Spirit or guidance never tells anyone what to do-- if they did people would learn nothing on their journey and I believe the point is to learn and grow. So any psychic that tells you EXACTLY WHAT TO DO - is coming from a place of their personal ego and opinion. If they're going to do that-- fine-- but don't pretend its a spiritual message.

intothemusic

Let me get this right.... we shouldn't believe our gut feeling, or a clairvoyant. But we SHOULD believe in pieces of cardboard?

Oooookay.

hehe!

Amanaki

On this topic we talking about here, I have to say i am 100% agree with Teheuti.
And i feel that its ok that others dont believe in clairvoyant skills or they dont believe in a spirit world. i think it come down to who have opened thier spiritual senses and who has not.

I am not my self a clairvoyant but i know how they can use their skills. and as far as i understand it, those who have clairvoyant skills can see/feel/hear some more then other can, and for those who cant see, it is more difficult to accept that its something more. And just because we cant see it, does not mean it is not there.

Amanaki

andybc

My personal experience is that study and practice create "conditioning," not intuitive acumen. Automatically making sense of a card combination with just a glance is a conditioned response, not primarily an intuitive one. I resort to intuitive insights (although I won't deny that they could be obcure, long-forgotten associations dredged up from my subconscious) when I'm having trouble making 1+1 equal 2, because they ignite my imagination and give me new grist for the mill. For me, they are a means to an end, not an end in themselves. I never open a reading (and especially not a Lenormand reading) expecting I'm going to get a lightning-flash of intuitive revelation that makes everything perfectly clear. Intuition as I see it helps me bridge apparently unbridgeable gaps in continuity, but the link forged in this way still has to be tested in practical terms - usually through verifying with the querent whether it makes sense within the context of the question.

An experienced mechanic can listen to your engine and intuitive know what is wrong with the car, which is confirmed when he inspects it. That noise sparks his intuitive faculties.

This is because he’s so familiar with his craft. Intuition, at least in its highest form of intellection, is the immediate cognition of an answer without the need for mental debate or argument.

If a card reader only ever A – B as one thing, regardless of context or anything else, then that is conditioning but when they can make the cards fit, fluidly, to the context of the question and your individual circumstances that is still intuition.

If a card reader looks at a card and sees X and it reminds them of something that is not really intuition. It’s an impression.

Are both of value? Yes. I think the former is vital, if I’m honest, but the latter really does need some grounding.