Intuition - what is it to you?

yogiman

Ofcourse we can widen our practical horizon with books, but I think you can do it just by yourself and with the feedback of others. Most of the time our ego is in the way, and that's why in the ancient chinese culture humility was the most vital virtue. A ruthless honesty towards yourself is another thing. It's good to read books, but more important imho is the moral discipline applied with intelligence.

ravenest

Actually, I retract that .... I have been watching more animal studies and there is NO WAY I can beat the seal or the monkey :(

I am going to change it to ; 'CAPACITY or intuition ?'

Apparently it is impossible for a human to beat the monkey.

http://tubeyourpet.com/view/203/monkey-intelligence-test/

(You might need to use the pause button to see what he is doing ;) )

momentarylight

I loved the videos about the raven and the monkey. Science is revising opinions about animal intelligence and sensitivity more and more frequently.

It is perhaps a little late but western science is beginning to value animals in a way it rarely has before. This might change the way we treat the animal world. In general terms, we have treated many animals crudely and cruelly in the past, especially in mass food production.

I don't know whether this monkey is using intelligence or intuition. Perhaps the two are not so separate?

ravenest

I would say neither, I WOULD say he has a better memory and a higher level of observation and capacity.

The monkey is not using intuition IMO ... if you saw the whole experiment you would think the monkey was using magic or intuition or something unexplainable as he can do it WITHOUT THE NUMBERS APPEARING ON THE SCREEN!

How? For a few of them I thought the machine was broken ... the numbers never came up .... but the monkey got it right ... how?

Then they slowed it down, the numbers come up faster than the human eye can detect (but not a monkey's) and he can see, scan, and remember quicker than we can physically see the numbers .... played at normal speed .... no numbers .... slow the film right down .... and there they are. :bugeyed:

But to us ... that would look like intuition . Same with me ... (although I am not a monkey, people have variant reception and calculation levels -most of us know how amazing a human memory can be compared to the average - ) some people insist some stuff I do is intuition or magic .... but it isn't (well, SOME of it is ... but not all of it).

momentarylight

I would say neither, I WOULD say he has a better memory and a higher level of observation and capacity.

The monkey is not using intuition IMO ... if you saw the whole experiment you would think the monkey was using magic or intuition or something unexplainable as he can do it WITHOUT THE NUMBERS APPEARING ON THE SCREEN!

How? For a few of them I thought the machine was broken ... the numbers never came up .... but the monkey got it right ... how?

Then they slowed it down, the numbers come up faster than the human eye can detect (but not a monkey's) and he can see, scan, and remember quicker than we can physically see the numbers .... played at normal speed .... no numbers .... slow the film right down .... and there they are. :bugeyed:

But to us ... that would look like intuition . Same with me ... (although I am not a monkey, people have variant reception and calculation levels -most of us know how amazing a human memory can be compared to the average - ) some people insist some stuff I do is intuition or magic .... but it isn't (well, SOME of it is ... but not all of it).

Thanks ravenest! For some reason I didn't see this reply. The explanation makes sense.