is it possible for The Hanged Man to be a good leader?

rylla

@headincloud and aurafields: He's definitely the thoughtful, indecisive type! That's actually part of why the reading was done in the first place--he had some questions about how he'd do, given how indecisive he knows he is.

Personally, the HM is one of the hardest card to interpret. That's why I read this thread with all the excellent comments in it.

Once I had a very hart time/situation and I was getting the HM often. It would take too long to describe it so instead I am giving an example: like you would take care of someone who is sick and who you really love and you would bring all the sacrifices from all your heart but you would not know if that person will make it and you feel powerless and you are in suspense all the time with things out of your hand no matter what you do (in my situation things got resolved after a period of time so I just needed to keep going and wait it out).
So for me the HM isn't about leadership (as already pointed out by thirteen). And in my view the HM doesn't mean great leadership.

ThusSpokeZarathustra you addressed the question and, in my view, you also answered it (as I quoted you above). That's how I'd describe the qualities of that man re. leadership. So he may rely on the positive qualities of HM re leadership and he might try to pass those that are holding him up. If he looks honestly at himself (which he seems he does since he asked you a reading re his concern about being a good leader - it seems like he is questioning it instead of being self confident that he would be). Indecision could be a big issue here - a leader can't be indecisive or can't change his mind too often as a result. Good luck to him!

ETA: a leader can't have things out of his hands, he has to be on top of it, maybe you could advise him to be careful not to let things slip out of his hands (if he has inclination to do that)

Pam O

How about being able to see things "outside-the-box"?
Or from lots of people's points of view?
And not reacting?

But there is going to need to be a pairing with other attributes to make a good leader because the Hanged Man could "see" all these things, but not have what it takes to "do" anything about them! :bugeyed:

So, another card position to pull card(s) for might be:
What would this person need to focus on in order to be a great leader?

Sar

I might be semi-qualified to answer this. :D
From my leadership studies, I would say that the Hanged Man is a pretty good leader... maybe even a great one. The business world needs people who are willing to sacrifice themselves to challenge the processes, question the workings of things, and maybe look like an asshole, but great change can come from this saving companies tons of money.

I see this card as a non-confrontational disobedience card. It means your friend may be willing to take the risk, "sacrifice" his own point of view or the point of view of those ruling over him and spearhead a movement to create change.

The question was about your friend's personality; with the Hanged Man, your friend might be a Transformational Leader - "Transformational leadership is a style of leadership where the leader is charged with identifying the needed change, creating a vision to guide the change through inspiration, and executing the change in tandem with committed members of the group." Especially since, it comes right before the Death card in the tarot deck.

Someone needs to have the odd, perhaps unpopular, point of view to create that kind of change. A good quote for the Hanged Man is this one:

Dwight D. Eisenhower said, "Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it” (n.d.).

This was more or less the prosess of Blackberry during the days of Thorstein Heinz.

LeBlanc

Only in the sense of a martyrs power.

LeBlanc

Only in the sense of a martyrs power.