Is the Hanged Man bound or free?

BrightEye

This card came up in my daily draw today. It's also my year card. It got me thinking about spiritual independence, independent thinking and living. But he is bound to the tree, although it is not the same kind of bondage as represented by the Devil. Is the Hanged Man free? What do you think? He is bound to the tree because he wants to be. But then we are bound to the Devil because we want to be and can't let go...

willowfox

He binds himself to the tree willing, he is making a sacrifice of himself in order to learn, but his desire is for enlightenment, which once achieved he can then let go. He is like one of those Indian yogis who sit or stand on foot for years in order to gain enlightenment, it is a self sacrifice so that they can obtain a higher level of understanding, spiritual or otherwise. These guys can easily let go.

Yes, people chain themselves quite willing in order to get pleasures of the material world, but the trouble is, once we our hooked we don't want to let go, we become slaves to our own obsessions.

caridwen

The Hanged Man is based on Odin who bound himself willingly in order to gain knowledge. That is why, in most decks, he is capable of freeing himself at any time but chooses not too. In the case of Odin, he gained the knowledge of the runes which meant magic, foresight and communication. He does not make the sacrifice for nothing but isn't sure what the end result will be.

Julien

I think it's not an issue of whether he's bound OR free... I've always thought that it's more like he's bound AND free. Both at once, and neither is true without the presence of the other. That's the paradox of the card, but it also tends to be one of the paradoxes of life.

Julien

caridwen

BrightEye said:
...it is not the same kind of bondage as represented by the Devil. Is the Hanged Man free? What do you think? He is bound to the tree because he wants to be. But then we are bound to the Devil because we want to be and can't let go...

Bondage to the Devil is not given freely, there is always a sacrifice. Just as in most Satanic Cults one has to give something in order to receive and in most myths the sacrifice is huge like your soul but usually it's blood.

If we follow our darkest desires whether that's material, sexual or morphinist, there is always a sacrifice. A workaholic and sex addict forgoe a full loving relationship. The drug addict lives a kind of half shadow life, forever driven by their addiction which robs them off their health and life. Bondage to anything robs you off something more joyus and fulfilling. So there is always a sacrifice.

balenciaga

He purposely "gives up to let go", sacrificing himself for the good of the situation, possibly abstaining, removing himself, ending something, believing it is for the greater good. Think of your own situation and how you might be thinking this is the path you would take. And yes, he is free to go at any time - he controls his own sacrifice. But the situation denotes one of hopelessness, there is really no other solution this person can foresee.

Disa

In relation to the hanged man being bound vs. being bound by the devil-it seems the hanged man, sacrificing himself for the purpose of greater good, is in cotrol of the fact that he is bound. He will gain something positive from it and possibly benefit others with his insight. He can release himself at any given time.

The bindings of the devil, on the otherhand, seem to be an unwilling sacrifice of self with no positive outcome if continuing in that vein. Though he may have started out with control, by the time it reaches the point of the devil, self control is lost. He cannot release himself at any given time-help may be needed.

Disa

Thirteen

Being able to turn the key....

BrightEye said:
Is the Hanged Man free? What do you think? He is bound to the tree because he wants to be. But then we are bound to the Devil because we want to be and can't let go...
A good question, and I'll agree with the others. The Hanged Man is often shown with hands free, an indication that he can untie himself. This would make him seem like the folk bound to the Devil, they bound themselves willingly, can easily free themselves, but don't.

HOWEVER, there are some important differences between the two:
1) Selfish vs. Selfless: The Devil folk bound themselves because they don't want to resist their personal desires. As pointed out, if they finally do release themselves, they'll have nothing but experience and bad memories to show for all the time they sacrificed to self-pleasure and addiction. Usually, in fact, thinking only of themselves and their needs, addicts loose everything they have, and make everyone else in their life suffer as well. They'll steal from friends and family. So biding yourself to the devil is often a losing situation for everyone.

The Hanged Man, however, binds himself for others. In seeking enlightenment or, mythically, magic, the act is done to bring knowledge and wisdom to *EVERYONE*, not just selfishly to the Hanged Man himself. He surrenders his ego, all he is, to do this. If he fails, only he will suffer. If he succeeds, everyone will benefit!

2) Unaware vs. Awareness: The Devil Folk are not aware (or refuse to be aware) of what they're getting into when they put on those chains. In fact, they are very much deceived (or deceiving themselves) when they put on the chains. They expect to feel only pleasure and happiness, freedom from their problems by attaching themselves to The Devil. And they're very surprised when, slowly but surely, the addiction stops making them happy and starts to make them miserable. This wasn't why they signed on...but now they can't seem to sign off.

The Hanged Man is fully aware of what he's doing, why he's doing it and the ramifications. He knows what he's about to do isn't going to be a walk in the park. He knows it's not going to be pleasant...it's going to be really uncomfortable and maybe very painful. But it has to be done. And so he does it, eyes open, NO illusions or self-deception of what he's getting into.

3) Not seeing the Key vs. Seeing the Key: When the Devil Folk finally realize that being chained to the Devil is not doing them any good, and they want to leave, they usually find they can't. They've become dependent, and even if they're holding the key right there in their hands, they can't see it; they have no idea how to escape this addiction.

When the Hanged Man has achieved his goal (found that knowledge he was after), he can and does release himself. He goes in with key in hand. He locks that fetter, an throughout the entire ordeal, he know that key is in his hand. He never forgets, never is blind to that fact....Because he bound himself for a higher purpose, because it was a sacrifice for the greater good, because he knew what it entailed and why, he never "forgets" how to release himself. And when he's done, he does, in fact, release himself.

Both of these cards show people who can walk away...but only in the Hanged Man card is the prisoner expected to walk away when they're finished. With the Devil card, you can *hope* that the people learn to free themselves and walk away, but you have no idea if they will.

Vadella

I finally experienced or shall I say came to a complete understanding of the Hanged Man not too long ago. It was extremely enlightening and I couldn't wait to go tell the person what I finally saw and could understand about a given situation that had gone on for months. So I held myself there because I didn't see the issue in the correct way. Once I could, I felt like I could breathe again.

xx
Vad

northsea

The Hanged Man is an upside-down Emperor, in a dionysiac dance. He is also the Initiate, a reborn Fool who views things in a new perspective, no longer bound by others but by his chosen path.