Jelly Bean Divination

Alissa

Last night, while hanging on the couch watching Iron Chef with my husband, I jumped up and grabbed my can of Jelly Belly jelly beans from the kitchen to snack on. I hate licorise, blech. I can't even spell it, I hate it so much. So, being the thoughtful wife I am, I began picking out the black beans from the top and handing them to my husband (who doesn't like jelly beans, or liquorice).

Since he wasn't eating them, he began to shake them in his hands, almost like dice. "Runes," he said to me, laughing.

And I went, "HEY!!!!!!!!" My light bult went on, you see.

Wouldn't it be great to use jelly beans for divination? You could close your eyes, reach into the bag and pull for the beans and cast them, like bones. Of course, with 49 flavors, you have only 49 (not 78) divinatory meanings to work from.

But the combinations! And the flavors! It would be fun!

"I see in the past, on the left here, is the orange juice jelly bean. That tells me things have been sweet, so that's good, but also very tart, or hard to come by.

And, here, in the middle, you see the cappucino bean. Really, this is a good bean. They're a bit more rare than your standard lemon or cherry flavored kind. Cappucino = expect things to start moving, hot and fast.

But I'm afraid the future doesn't hold as much promise. It's a green one... those could be about 3 or 4 different flavors, and you won't know if you're in a green apple state of mind, or god help you, sour lime time until you actually commit yourself, and take a bite."

I thought it was freaking brilliant... right up there with SweetNLows and toothpicks for reading materials.

And I didn't even mention how you can read the ground shapes made by the beans, as well as the flavors (like toothpick/bone-casting) too....

Imagemaker

Yummy idea, Alissa! And is licorice the devil bean? :D

To thoroughly learn this divination method, one would have to test a LOT of spreads so that when you read for querents, you can tell the greens apart at a glance (sniff?)

My favorites are the cherry reds (passion is in your future) and lemon yellows (sun!).

miss_apples

I dont like the licorice ones either, they are so gross! I like the buttered popcorn ones, what would those say?

I like the idea of reading jelly beans!

Ace

What a fun idea! I have done chocolate scrying, candy heart readings and horoscope spreads with M&M's but never jelly beans!

Alissa

49 Flavors and Their Divinatory Meanings, a work in progress

Berry Blue - Sadness, depression, melancholy.

Blueberry -

Bubble Gum - A feeling of nostalgia, for things long past.

Buttered Popcorn -

Cafe Latte - Hard to discriminate from Cappucino, proceed carefully. You may not get as much sweetness here as you expect. Also, caffeine reference means expect things to be moving fast.

Cantaloupe - A tricky green one, if you find this, it's probably a little pale and spent too much time under the proverbial leaf, away from the sun. Get out and live a little.

Cappucino - Things are expected to heat up and move fast. Hold on to your butt, as we say in our house.

Caramel apple - This medley of flavors bespeaks of a very sweet partnership to be found for yourself and another. Could be romantic, or work related.

Caramel corn - Very rare find, this is like an Ace, and mixes well with other beans. Read in tandem to the adjoining beans, as lending its smooth richness to the meanings.

Chocolate Pudding - I had the good fortune of finding one of these last night. Make this Card 6, why not? Chocolate and love, but is chocolate a choice? Of course - milk chocolate, dark chocolate, mint chocolate....

Cinnamon - Pedestrian, cheap heat. Expect a short burst followed by a mediocrity that leads to boredom.

Coconut - Now, this is my reader's prejudice, but coconut is nasty. MUST be eaten, and therefore read, in tandem with anything next to it, and hope to God that it mixes well enough to go down pallatably.

Cotton Candy - Not to be confused with Bubble Gum, or Tutti-Fruitti, this bean is similar in flavor, but recalls the airy lightheartedness of the moment, fleeting.

A&W Cream Soda - Drown your sorrows in sweet thoughts.

Crushed Pineapple - What crushes this pineapple? What crushes you? Is the pineapple less for being crushed upon... or has it become something more?

Dr. Pepper - Relaxation and good times. Feeling at ease with one's self and surroundings.

French Vanilla - This is a complex bean. See the tiny brown specks? Do you not see their inherit loveliness, in how the pattern of flecks reflects the pattern of us all, seen here in confectionary microcosm? Consider your True Heart and follow with good intent. You are connected to mankind.

Grape Jelly - Silly fun, this got squirted on you and made a sticky yummy mess. Lick yourself outta the problem, and don't forget to smile, since you did this to yourself.

Green Apple - Tart, its rewards are also its own punishment. You chose this pain because it brings its own reward.

Island Punch - Detestable. Disgusting. This is the 5 of Pentacles. This is blech, feeling blech, feeling disconnected, and leaving a bad aftertaste in your mouth for entirely too long. (Did you have a one night stand?)

Juicy Pear - A best friend, or one whom you cling to who brings whiteness and sweetness to your perspective.

Kiwi -

Lemon - All things come to an end, how you receive that ending is what matters most. Read similarly to card 13.

Lemon Drop

Lemon Lime

Licorice - Card 15 of the Jelly Bean system, the Devil itself. Love it or hate it, you have an opinion about this, of that I'm sure.

Mango

Margarita

Orange Juice

Orange Sherbet

Peach

Peanut Butter - Not terribly good on its own. For best results, you will need a partnership. If a Grape Jelly or Strawberry Jam is present, this is a most positive arrangement. If there's Lemon in sight... beware your next choice.

Pina Colada - It's time to break out your party shoes! Get out and do something fun!

Pink Grapefruit - Terrible and good for you. Is there something you need to do that you've been avoiding? Something beneficial in the long term, but bitter in the short?

Plum

Raspberry

Red Apple

A&W Root Beer

Sizzling Cinnamon - a cousin of the Cinnamon, the gold flecks are like gilded framing on pedestrian mediocrity. Are you dressing up a situation or yourself to appear more than it is?

Strawberry Cheesecake

Strawberry Daiquiri

Strawberry Jam

Tangerine

Toasted Marshmallow

Top Banana

Tutti-Fruitti - Rare and always welcome. Like Bubble Gum, it has an air of childhood Joy that is irrepressible. The more colorful flecks show lively activity and new opportunities/connections all around you.

Very Cherry - Why very? Why not cherry? What makes you Very Passionate? What brings out your true flavor to make you authentic, unique?

Watermelon

Wild Blackberry - Feeling like letting your hair down and your wild side out. Go ahead and live a little. This bean shows good times to be had, often in good company. For a thrill, mix with the French Vanilla and let your mind open.

Alissa

From a Jelly Belly eater/reader

I'm not up there with Ronald Reagan in my Jelly Belly consumption, but I've been known to eat more than a few, and I've gotten very familiar with the beans.

Some are easier to spot of course than others. Smell gives little to nothing away, the candy shell doesn't permit much olfactory input.

Some take a sophisticated palate to recognize... the difference between a Lemon Drop and a Lemon bean is slight... can you perceive it yet? This is liken to growing familiar with cards and their subtleties.

HudsonGray

Ohhhh, you know, if you wanted to expand it somewhat why not include the Harry Potter's ones--those Bernie Botts Every Flavor Beans? I took a silver one of those last year at a christmas party & it was 'sardine'. Definately a FISH taste! Yuck! 'Grass' was bad too.

Alissa

It's interesting to go back and read old threads I started, years ago. I don't remember this thread... at ... all! It's like a suprise package that I made for myself and then hid for a few years until it was rediscovered.

I was really into Jelly Belly jelly beans for a long time. Then my husband, being a darling, gave me an uber-duper supermondo, every-flavor Jelly Belly jelly bean gift box for Christmas, and after I finished that (by Easter), I was kinda so sick of jelly beans, I didn't look back. I don't think I've eaten one since.

But maybe I was on to something with the divination! At the end of the reading, you could scoop up your throw, bag it and give it to your sitter. Or just eat 'em yourself, eh?

Alta

hahaha..... that could work. However, weak soul that I am, my readings might not survive. :joke:

lefthandedgoth

Do you still have the info? I couldn't access that other thread, and I'm not *that* curious.

Thanks!