Kitty Kahane

Essjay

I've checked the links but can't seem to find one that shows all of the cards. Does anyone know of one?

Hedera

Does anyone know if there's a difference in size between the English and the German edition?

Gregory just told me the German one has huge cards, which would be a bit of a problem for me - I like smallish decks.

But all the reviews of the English version I've seen (if they mention the size of the cards at all) say they're 'average' in size.

Would anyone who has the English version be able to measure the cards for me?

Thanks!

Sulis

I have the German version and it measures 12cm by 7cm - I would call them 'average size cards'.

Hedera

Thank you Sulis! :)

That is reassuring: I've measured a Baba-Prague deck to compare, and that one is 13 cm long - those are always a bit on the large side for me (makes it harder to shuffle them), so that one cm the Kitty Kahana has less should be great.

Good, no need to cancel the German deck I've already ordered and track down an English one then! :D

The picture here: http://www.kitty.de/web/BILDERKATALOG.php?FUNKTION1=1170248867 (the first one, with Kitty on top of the cards) does make them look rather big, but I guess Ms Kahane is just rather small. ;)

Hedera

After an initially succesful de-enable, I canceled that German version I had on order - but last week, I caved anyway and ordered the English version from the Tarotchest.

And I absolutely LOVE it!!! :D :D :D

It's pretty solid and traditional, meaning-wise, but it has all kinds of little quirks as well, some of them quite useful in readings.

It reminds me of a more playful (and more artistic) version of the Shining Tribe, oddly enough.

The only card that has me slightly puzzled is the 4 of Wands, but that's not a card that I'm very particular about, and the meaning given in the booklet makes a lot of sense.

Now I'm regretting not buying the German version, though; I preferred the lettering there, and I kind of like having decks in the 'original' language, especially when I speak that language (sort of).
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be available over here anymore (and I only have Paypal, so I can't order from German Amazon etc).

Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to get a German version?

faunabay

Hedera said:
After an initially succesful de-enable, I canceled that German version I had on order - but last week, I caved anyway and ordered the English version from the Tarotchest.

And I absolutely LOVE it!!! :D :D :D
Does deenabling ever truely, truely work? :confused:

It doesn't seem to for me. LOL At the most it may keep me from buying said deck for a month or two. Then I buy it anyway. })

I'm glad you're enjoying the Kitty Kahane!!! :heart:

Hedera

*whispers*
Nine times out of ten, I end up searching for decks that I've read about in the de-enable thread... ;)

Well, I think it works if a deck really is crap; there are a *few* genuinely bad ones out there, where it's not just a matter of taste, but of just not being good Tarot. What's the one with the fuzzy, random animal pictures again?

And sometimes delay can mean that you realize you don't really like it that much at all; I can get a fever over a certain deck sometimes (usually late at night, when I should be asleep anyway) and then not even remember which deck it was in the morning.

But I think the Kahane is an underappreciated deck, that really deserves a lot more attention!

The only downside of it so far, is that is reeks - but that will go away, I hope.
And yes, it's rather garish, but purple is almost a neutral colour to me, so I don't notice. ;)

faunabay

Hedera said:
*whispers*
Nine times out of ten, I end up searching for decks that I've read about in the de-enable thread... ;)
***ROFLMAO***

Me too! But don't tell anyone else! :p

faunabay

OMG!!! (disgusted with myself)

Hedera, now you have me thinking.....should I get the Kitty Kahane deck for myself????? :p

Hedera

faunabay said:
Hedera, now you have me thinking.....should I get the Kitty Kahane deck for myself????? :p

*grin*
Well, that depends...

Do you like colourful, oddball decks?

Decks that have a sense of wimsy, but are still solid, useful reading decks?

Decks that have characters of all colours and shapes (one with three sets of eyes, even)?

Decks with unique artwork, where you can tell that the artist <i>gets</i> tarot, didn't just copy RWS (yet is still comfortably within the RWS tradition)?
Where any and all changes were clearly made with a firm grasp of what the card is trying to say?

Decks with lots of details, that are not only funny, but can also be used as meaningful clues in a reading (or just considered decoration, if they're not needed)?

A deck with one of the most heartfelt, melancholy, emotion-filled 9 of Swords I've ever seen?

I really think this is one of those decks that flew below the radar somehow, and that deserves a lot more attention that it has gotten so far on Aeclectic.

Think a mixture of RWS, Jolanda, Shining Tribe, World Spirit, and perhaps Sakki-Sakki (although it has a lot less in common with that one than I thought it would).