Lacking intuition and reading the Tarot.

romanticdreamz

Thank you!

I can't be too long as it's getting late and having a bit of a quiet night in with the other half, but will do my best to do this post justice.

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far. It really means a lot and has made me think about things. Every post has added something new.

Firstly, I think I do need to just relax with it and enjoy it more. After all, if it's something too serious and too "stiff" then I think there's a lot that's missing. And that way I can just let some of my creative juices flow as well instead of overthinking and overanalysing too much. To just focus on me and what the cards are saying in front of me.

Just a few points that I wanted to add:

Umbrae: I definitely will try that. I think I may choose the Pocket Universal Waite just because it's easy to carry around with me. (And may be good as a starting point without any of the books etc too.) I have a pocket journal as well which I can finally put to good use. :eek:) I think I have been trying to swap between decks and cards to much anyway so this will at least give me a little bit of grounding.

Grizabella: I'm not quite sure what else to say to that except that I will keep your post for future reference. Words to remember. Thank you.

Ambience: No, that does make sense. Will certainly keep that in mind.

Sinduction: I'll take a look at the link. I have exams coming up again soon but that may really help me as well at the moment.

Thanks again to everyone.

SunChariot

romanticdreamz said:
I've been reading the cards for a while now but I still seem to be lacking confidence in my reading skills.

I have got the readings right before but sometimes I'm way off. I'm struggling to pinpoint what it feels like to read with my intuition.

I've read with my emotions before, or so I thought, and have had mixed readings. (I can be quite empathic at times.)

I've said the first thing that's come up with the cards and also had spot on reading and readings which made no sense whatsoever.

The I've also done the intellectual thing and used the books and so on and had some very good readings but nothing truly enlightening.

How do you know you're reading with your intuition? I've always liked to think that I had some sort of "thing", not gift, but something that set me apart in a spiritual-type way, such as perhaps a different way of thinking or the Tarot etc... But then again often enough, life seems to show me that I'm well... Just a little dull and not quite "useful" in that context. Lol.

Any advice? I'd really like to persue my reading as right now I can't help but feel as if I can become really good at it, even if I'm not ever "meant" to. (Does that make sense?)

I think you need to relax and not think about it so much.:heart: Intuition and rational thought are exact opposites. They use two separate parts of the brain. So the more you think about the less intuitive you are being. You can't think intuition out logically you have to discover it without thought.

If your natural way of being is to think everything out, it is possible that you are not an intuitive reader by nature. There is nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is. The trick to Tarot is to find out who we really are inside and work with that to the best advantage. You can also be a very accurate reader without being an intuitive reader. That is my belief. But we all have to find our own inner selves, what comes most naturally to us and to work with that. And that is individual to each of us.

How you know you are reading intuitively, there are so many different ways of reading intutiively it's hard to say (if even possible) definitely. But I don't think you "feel" it (at least not physically) so much as ....you know you are getting accurate answers/readings but they are not coming from any book meaning of from any thought or logical place.

To use your intuition, you need to close down you mind and your thoughts. again as each come from a different part of your mind. If you are thinking you are not being intuitive. Intuition means feeling the answer, not thinking it. It comes like a flash, like a memory... a connection between something in the image and something in your realy life. And when it comes you feel certain it is mean to be part of the answer. It's an AHA moment when something in the card reminds you of something in real life. And you just know "That's it, that's the key to the answer!"

I'm not sure what you mean by reading with your emotions, but if you mean what I think you mean that won't work. You have to be very emotionally calm to read. If you are feeling emotions they get in the way of reading clearly. You can't have any preference for one answer over another or any strong feelings or those will influence your answer, usually in an inaccurate way. To read accurately, I think you need to be on a pretty even unemotional keel. But what you said about being empathic, if you are then that is part of being intuitive. Eg if you sense the querent's emotions during the reading and are sure they feel like they are meant to figure into you answer. That is being intuitive. But if you go into a reading full of your own emotions, that to me is counterproductive. As you need to be sensing the other, not yourself...If you know what I mean. Intuition is about connecting to something else, other than yourself. If you yourself are feeling emotional it blocks the connection from being made.

Babs

romanticdreamz

Thanks Sunchariot, that made a lot of sense and appreciate the reply as well. The emotional/empathic paragraph made a lot of sense to me and something I will definitely be giving that more thought (MORE thought! lol.) as I think that may be something I will be need to work on.

Thanks again.

SunChariot

romanticdreamz said:
Thanks Sunchariot, that made a lot of sense and appreciate the reply as well. The emotional/empathic paragraph made a lot of sense to me and something I will definitely be giving that more thought (MORE thought! lol.) as I think that may be something I will be need to work on.

Thanks again.
You're welcome, I was just thinking if you still think it is your path to be an intuitive reader, you could always work on meditating, which helps turn thoughts off.

Babs

Aerin

I'm not sure how long you have been at this? My experience is that it took what felt like ages before I found a deck that really spoke to me and that I could apply what I'd learnt to without it feeling kind of clunky and frustrating.

Pesonally I took up tarot to help me develop my intuition. I got my first deck in 1998 I think, and the first deck I really 'read' with (as against worked very hard with) was the Fey in June / July 2000 when it first came out. In that first 2 years, and also since, I have read A LOT of books, bought a lot of decks, worked through a lot of readings both with and without a mentor and it is only now that all that is really starting to come together. It's taken this long for it all to settle and I can now read with a far greater range of decks (including in the last couple of years a Marseilles). I am also someone who still returns to the books after the reading to see what else pops out at me: I see it as a way of challenging my own thinking.

Everything I have read and discussed and every book I have ever read and/ or worked through has added something; it didn't necessarily feel like that at the time though.

It will start to come together, I promise. Try lots of different ways and be kind to and patient with yourself.

Aerin x

Morgane_49

Aerin said:
Everything I have read and discussed and every book I have ever read and/ or worked through has added something; it didn't necessarily feel like that at the time though.

It will start to come together, I promise. Try lots of different ways and be kind to and patient with yourself.

Aerin x

Excellent advice, Aerin, and I couldn't agree more.

Sometimes I think we put too much pressure on ourselves. Tarot can aid in enhancing your intuition, but you have to be open to it. Then, it starts to all come naturally.

romanticdreamz

Aerin and Morgane_49: That is something that I'm STILL working on. I have always had a tendency to compare myself to others or if not, consistently be far too hard on myself. I find it too easy to put myself down... But I'm working on it and have people to give me a nudge when they notice I'm doing it which is always a good thing!